Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my Saturday project to install the trailer wiring harness on my 2014 Ridgeline RT. It came with a hitch, but no harness. After looking at the great write-up and pics at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65345 I said I can do this. I bought the OEM kit, got my radio code, the tools ready, unhooked battery and dropped the lower dash. Nothing underneath looks like the pictures in the write-up or the instructions. Upon inspection I already see some sort of plug there (red arrow). Is this already wired and I only need to install the rear hitch connector? The only 'readily accessible' plug is the green one (blue arrow).
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Here is a close-up of the plug connection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, okay that was fun. Job start time was 11:30am and finish time is 6:45pm. Add a lunch break and some walking around time, plus a trip to the hardware store to make the rivet tool required to mount the rear bumper connector and you have an installed trailer harness.

What did I learn?
1) If you have not done this before, plan on a full day to take it slow and easy.
2) Hire a five year old with small hands and can fit in the foot well under the dash. I am a big guy over 6' and 250 lbs. I didn't think I still had it in me to be a contortionist. Gonna take up yoga. Sorry no pics. I was just to confined to get a camera up in there.
3) The harness did not come with installation instructions. Here is a link for the 2014 instructions http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/pdf/2014-honda-ridgeline/2014-honda-ridgeline-trailer-harness.pdf
4) You REALLY gotta look for the Relay Block and the 12-pin connector. A screwdriver will not go straight in to release the block. You have to come down on it from the hole above. The 12-pin connector is WAY up in the dash towards the back halfway between the steering column and the center console. Gotta look for that blue tape.
5) A rivet tool is a must. I made one on the fly. Not as good as the guy in the video http://youtu.be/tA9fB3asSZU but it got the job done. Couldn't see buying one for three nuts and not ever using it again.
6) The rear wire connection is attached to the driver rear panel with a plastic connector. Once you remove the green tape you really got to work the wire cable to pull the cable free to get the length long enough to connect to the plug harness. Make sure to use all three plastic connectors to secure the cable. All the holes are there and the lengths are exact to fit.
7) No left over parts. Trailer lights all work. No swearing. No beer until afterwards. Patience.

I will be glad to help anyone going through this install. I think I could do it now under two hours. A third time in an hour (maybe).:act030:

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
Congrats, yes a 5yr old with mechanic skills would be quite valuable for this install

I need to make the RivNut tool zip ties hold mine to the hitch since I didn't buy the Honda hitch

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
Things must have changed since I installed the wiring harness on my 2008 RTS several years ago. No need for a rivnut tool. I used the OEM harness and a Curt hitch with an L bracket from an online store.

Yeah, you did well to get under the dash as big as you are. I found it a chore and I'm (down to) ~5'8" and 180 lbs or so. Although I was more svelte when I installed mine (I was still riding my bicycle a lot then). ;)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The relay block is a looong way up under the dash.

I agree that the holes in the plastic side don't line up with the clip holding the relay block. You need a strong flashlight shining up from below, and a skinny screwdriver blade.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
FYI, not sure from the pic, but it looks to me like that red arrow (& following end view of pin sockets) is your OBDII connection point (diagnostics).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,589 Posts
FYI, not sure from the pic, but it looks to me like that red arrow (& following end view of pin sockets) is your OBDII connection point (diagnostics).
Yes, that is the OBDII port.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts