Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my truck in June 2014, since 7000km we've experienced major issues: rear shocks have been replaced due to faulty mechanism, passenger front fender torn apart and resealed due to water entering the cabin from the door mould at seam and leaking from under dash (like 4 cups of water), lugnuts have all rusted out - these have all been taken care of. 7 times to the dealer and now with 18500km there is still one outstanding issue - upon acceleration from a mid speed to high speed (such as merging on to a highway), and the odd time we have towed approx. 2500lbs, there is an AWFUL stench that enters the cabin. We also feel a hesitance upon acceleration from a stop. Honda has yet to solve this issue, I feel it may be transmission or catalytic related. After calling around to other dealerships and my dealership having the truck for 3 weeks the last time, I spoke with a very nice service manager that has been with Honda for 23 years, she says its the Grade Logic Control causing the smell and hesitance. Has anyone else experienced the smell? We have to roll our windows down, and in an Ontario Winter, that is just NOT cool.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Bought my truck in June 2014, since 7000km we've experienced major issues: rear shocks have been replaced due to faulty mechanism, passenger front fender torn apart and resealed due to water entering the cabin from the door mould at seam and leaking from under dash (like 4 cups of water), lugnuts have all rusted out - these have all been taken care of. 7 times to the dealer and now with 18500km there is still one outstanding issue - upon acceleration from a mid speed to high speed (such as merging on to a highway), and the odd time we have towed approx. 2500lbs, there is an AWFUL stench that enters the cabin. We also feel a hesitance upon acceleration from a stop. Honda has yet to solve this issue, I feel it may be transmission or catalytic related. After calling around to other dealerships and my dealership having the truck for 3 weeks the last time, I spoke with a very nice service manager that has been with Honda for 23 years, she says its the Grade Logic Control causing the smell and hesitance. Has anyone else experienced the smell? We have to roll our windows down, and in an Ontario Winter, that is just NOT cool.
Both rear shocks replaced due to "faulty mechanism"? What kind of "faulty mechanism" would affect both rear shocks?

Fenders are cosmetic - they aren't structural and don't have any seals.

Lug nuts have all rusted out? Really, now. I've noticed a few of the lug nuts on my 7 month-old 2014 SE rusting - I've never had a lug nut rust before. Possibly a defective batch from their supplier.

The smell is probably the catalytic converter releasing accumulated sulfur. All cars with catalytic converters do this depending on how you're driving and how much sulfur is in the gasoline. Are you using cheap, discount gasoline or a top-tier brand from a reputable gas station?

The "very nice service manager of 23 years" you spoke to obviously hasn't a clue as to what Grade Logic is. It is nothing more than Honda's trade name for a software algorithm that determines when the transmission shifts and to what gear. It is not a piece of hardware and has nothing to do with causing any type of odor.

Sounds to me like you're getting some "bad gas".

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
While I don't disagree that "bad gas" can cause foul odors.....

I'm thinking that if your service guy is referencing "grade logic", and if he really does know his stuff.... he may really be talking about the more numerous shifts you'll see when you are towing.... BUT, if that is causing that foul odor, then you have a bad tranny or VTM-4...... maybe your electric clutches are burnt out???? or you're low on fluid??? I really don't know, but either way, you should NOT be experiencing this... if he's implying this is normal; it's NOT.

My first suspicion would be same as previous poster above: Cat Converter. Is the smell like that of rotten eggs? (Sulfur smell) If it is, then it's definitely your CAT. It may have some blockage that doesn't really cause problems until the engine is really working (as when towing).

Anyway.... if they are not fixing your problem, you just need to take it to a different dealer... even if that means a long drive. This can, and needs to be made right by Honda.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had my first towing experience in the Ozark with about 4k
on the rear of my '10 RL.
I really liked the Grade logic.
No smell from mine either!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I thought grade logic was to keep the Ridgeline from over accelerating when on a down hill grade? Please correct me if I have it wrong.

We also have to admit that the transmission used in the Ridgeline is marginal and poorly set up. It shifts at odd times, holds gears too long, is clunky, and let's not forget SMOD.

Don't get me started on the cruise control!

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I thought grade logic was to keep the Ridgeline from over accelerating when on a down hill grade? Please correct me if I have it wrong.

We also have to admit that the transmission used in the Ridgeline is marginal and poorly set up. It shifts at odd times, holds gears too long, is clunky, and let's not forget SMOD.

Don't get me started on the cruise control!
Attempting to hold the set speed while driving down a grade is one function of the transmission. "Grade Logic" is nothing more than Honda's marketing term for their transmission logic. Many manufacturers use similar algorithms to minimize undesired speed increases by downshifting and hold gears to minimize shift busyness when the logic detects the vehicle is driving up or down a grade. Honda's Grade Logic can be somewhat aggressive compared to other manufacturers. Civics in the late-90s were some of the worst I've driven - having the tendency to downshift abruptly when releasing the accelerator while driving down the slightest grade.

Your statement that the Ridgeline's transmission is "marginal and poorly set up" is completely unfounded. In fact, the Ridgeline's transmission has proven to be very durable. While I've experienced smoother transmissions, I can't describe any of my three Ridgelines' transmissions as odd-shifting, gear-holding, or clunky. The "SMOD" has nothing to do with the design of the transmission. It is the result of the design of the heat exchanger in the radiator - in no way it is the fault of the transmission.

What's wrong with your cruise control? All three of mine have held within precisely at the set speed. Up or down a grade, the speed may vary by 5 MPH the same as any other vehicle I've ever driven.

·
Registered
246 Posts
??

Rear shocks? Really?
The leak was fixed by removing the fender. It happens.
Grade logic and c/c?

I'm nearing 200 000km in Ontario trouble free. I tow regularly that weight, never had a odor?

Like others have said, confirm what you are burning for fuel, what type of driving you are doing. This is a great truck, sorry to hear you aren't liking it.

Wanna trade :act029:

·
Registered
244 Posts
When TSB's or Recalls are announced, we'll do our best to inform you right away by posting the information right here.
Not the best section to post your problems.
Sorry about your luck with your truck. Leak you experienced is a known issue.
I don't share your assesment of the transmission and cruise control. Cruise works well. Nothing to complain about IMO. Transmission is decent. I'd describe it as satisfactory.

For your issue with terrible odor it is possible your catalytic converter is defective.
One of the surest ways to tell if your car is catalytic converter is bad is to simply use your nose. A faulty catalytic converter will often produce a horrible smell that smells like a combination of rotten eggs and sulfur. The smell is hard to miss, and almost always a sign you need to replace the defective catalytic converter in your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Try fuel. Canadian Top Tiers are mostly Shell, Esso, Petro Canada. I don't believe Irving, Ultramar and other no name stations sell Top Tier. I always go to Shell gas stations in Canada without issues. Had a bad experience in the past on a 2008 Civic and now stay away from specific gas stations.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
My truck's Grade Logic is so great, it helped me pass Calculus in college :act010:

Grade Logic is software that assists the transmission determination of which gear is best given throttle position, actual drivetrain load, ect. When going down hill and I back off the accelerator (Zero throttle), my transmission downshifts to help maintain a constant speed so the driver does not have to apply brakes to accomplish the same thing. When towing, the the grade logic helps when the transmission is under heavier load during acceleration, the transmission will delay upshifts to allow for less stress on the transmission and better acceleration with the additional load.

Seriously, your 23 year service manager may be a nice guy with good intentions, but he is WAY off base on your "smell" issue.

If the terrible smell only happens after hard acceleration, I would bet you're smelling the catalytic converter.

Did the same service manager recommend changing both rear shocks "due to a faulty mechanism" ? If so, find a new place to go for maintenance on your Honda Ridgeline truck. Bu the way, what was the fault that required replacing both rear shocks?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Irrel. Didn't notice OP date...
That's part of what gets me about complaints like this though.

JeniJ bought their RL in June of '14, signed up on the ROC Feb. of '15, posted the one post (perhaps the same day they signed up looking for 'help') and -nothing- since.

No 'thanks for the advice' or 'hey! I got this resolved', just nothing... :-\

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If it smells like a troll, then......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts