Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the truck for 18 months with no problems,(except the michelins), but now all of a sudden the tailgate won't open with either latch. Haven't had a chance to get to the dealer yet. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It will be a minor fix, but don't get impatient, would be my recommendation. Just take it to the dealer & let them do their thing. There are small linkage pieces in there that can break (or even just become unsecured).

No big when it's under warranty. Not super uncommon, but most folks won't see this issue, & you'll probably never see it again (unless they don't fix it right of course).

Good Luck with this... it should be a short-lived problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have seen several post where owners that let their tailgate slam shut, causing that linkage Dnick indicated to break...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This can also happen if the tailgate or mount points have been bent in ANY way. All it takes is a 100lb kid to hang on it when it is swung full out open horizontally. I would think also a minor parking tap, or a heavy load hanging over the gate when it is in the up position could also do this. If this were the case, it will need to be bent back and re-adjusted.

Please don't ask me how I know this......

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
My '07 worked perfectly. My '10 lowered, but wouldn't swing and had a "mushy" handle when it was new. It took the dealer about 10 minutes to adjust one of the linkage rods and it still worked perfectly when I traded it off 55K miles later. My '14 feels different still - it has a "loose and notchy" lowering handle and a "mushy" swing handle, but it has always worked...so far...except when it "freezes" on the striker when trying to swing it open.

The mechanics of this dual-action tailgate look like something Da Vinci could have dreamt up in the 1400s. It's a combination of cables, levers, rods, pivots, and clips that must work in perfect unison. The slightest misadjustment can keep it from working properly. Fortunately, most of us who have have had problems have had it resolved permanently following a visit to the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts