Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A local dealer has two new red ones in stock that they're asking $6,000 each for. The original MSRP was $12,499.

I'm very, very tempted.

It's hard to believe they've been sitting unsold for 4-5 years.

Seems like a neat package with its somewhat unique V4 engine and it's modern enough to have LED headlights.

https://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor.aspx

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
Uhh, Go for it?

I mean I don't see you riding it, but I'm certain you'd have fun if you did.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,802 Posts
I've been looking at the automatics. Checkout the fuel tank on this one. Extra storage.

Honda’s Dual‑Clutch Transmission (DCT) is one of several automatic transmission designs Honda produces. Internally, it offers all the strength and efficiency of a conventional manual transmission, but there is no clutch lever on the handlebar. The transmission functions as an automatic, upshifting and downshifting with no additional rider input. On many models, the rider may also choose to shift the transmission by using a pair of push buttons or similar controls, still with no need for a conventional handlebar‑mounted clutch lever.

https://powersports.honda.com/2019/nc750x/options.aspx

Attachments

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
229 Posts
A local dealer has two new red ones in stock that they're asking $6,000 each for. The original MSRP was $10,679.

I'm very, very tempted.

It's hard to believe they've been sitting unsold for 4-5 years.

Seems like a neat package with its somewhat unique V4 engine and it's modern enough to have LED headlights.

https://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor.aspx
its a great bike with such a unique sound......love the V motor !!! the VFR rides great and is super comfortable, its just enough of a blend between touring and street so that its fun and responsible. I always loved the single sided swingarm as well.

It is pretty crazy that they have been sitting for so long, 6K is a great deal

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - it's got some unique features. I like "crotch rockets", but they hurt my neck after a while. On the other hand, I don't like sitting completely vertical, either - it feels frumpy. The Ninja 250 I had was about as far forward as I like to lean. That was such a fun little bike, but it wasn't very refined and felt way underpowered after only a few days.

I called the Honda dealer to confirm their inventory listing and sure enough they have one in stock with 1 mile on the odometer and another one the way - new old stock from a Honda warehouse that's been sitting for four years. I'm going to try and go look at it Saturday.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah - it's got some unique features. I like "crotch rockets", but they hurt my neck after a while. On the other hand, I don't like sitting completely vertical, either - it feels frumpy. The Ninja 250 I had was about as far forward as I like to lean. That was such a fun little bike, but it wasn't very refined and felt way underpowered after only a few days.

I called the Honda dealer to confirm their inventory listing and sure enough they have one in stock with 1 mile on the odometer and another one the way - new old stock from a Honda warehouse that's been sitting for four years. I'm going to try and go look at it Saturday.
well from your description this bike is perfect than, and I think you'll enjoy the way you're seated on it. I always enjoyed riding my friends when we swapped. The V motor is all torque so you wont have to worry about power that's for sure !!!

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,813 Posts
@zroger73 , just curious, these come with the original Honda 12mo/unlimited miles warranty?

The 'old' ('14) VFR is a nice machine, lots of avid and very happy owners still.

Even though in warehoused (presumably crated) storage I'd at least ask for a courtesy 'all fluids flush' (They were crated 'wet' less fuel; but not let that kill the deal by any stretch). And keep an eye on the tires - they do age even in the best of storage circumstances.

Have fun! Ride ATGATT!

dl650 for me ....
Another fun machine. Among many other trips, my 2012 WeeStrom was a comfortable blast for the 3500 mile camping trip from Austin, TX > Key West, FL > Austin in January (with Michellin Pilot street tires and heated gear under a RoadCrafter suit). Admitting I love to ride in the (southern) cold and rain.

Attachments

Reactions: eggs

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@zroger73 , just curious, these come with the original Honda 12mo/unlimited miles warranty?

The 'old' ('14) VFR is a nice machine, lots of avid and very happy owners still.

Even though in warehoused (presumably crated) storage I'd at least ask for a courtesy 'all fluids flush' (They were crated 'wet' less fuel; but not let that kill the deal by any stretch). And keep an eye on the tires - they do age even in the best of storage circumstances.

Have fun! Ride ATGATT!
The best I can tell, the last year model for the VFR800F/Interceptor was 2015 - there's no newer model on their website. According to the Honda shop, Honda still has stock of base 2014 models and deluxe 2015 models in a warehouse that they're currently shipping out to dealers. Initially, I thought they'd been sitting at the dealer being touched and test driven for 4-5 years, but that's not the case. Instead, they're just time capsules.

Yes - the original 12/unlimited warranty still applies beginning with the date of purchase.

Good advice about the fluids - I'm sure this particular dealer would oblige - they're a very friendly, small-town dealer that's been around for a long time. Some of the Honda bikes and ATV's I had as a child back in the 80's came from this same dealer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@zroger73 the tires too, 3 years maybe and that's pushing it but 4 to 5 and you'll never get them to temp and they'll never grip properly. Even if the dealership doesn't replace them I would just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I've had that generation VFR as well as the generation before it (2006). VFR's are the perfect blend of sport and touring. The VFR's lean towards sport while the ST's lean towards the touring end of the spectrum. I had hard saddlebags, a trunk, GPS and heated grips. I could stay on the bike all day. The new ones are a little more "touring" than the previous generation in my opinion. For 6 grand it's a smoking deal. The V4 is a fantastic engine, and with the right exhaust they sound downright exotic.

As far as your back is concerned, there are options. GenMar makes risers for the bars that bring you up a little bit. I had those, but wanted a more upright position so I swapped out the GenMar's for HeliBars. The HeliBars turned my '06 into a baby ST1300. LOVE VFR's !

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
One of my bikes is the VFR1200. The VFR800 that you are looking at is just an updated '98+. 90 degree V4 (the way it should be). At 6k that is a great deal. I got a similar deal on my 1200. It was $16,999 MSRP and I got it for $9999. Same as you, it was too good of a deal to pass up. My other bike is a R1 (crossplane) so the VFR is a great complement. More comfortable riding position, factory heated grips, and has pannier and top box mounting points, and OEM luggage, which I have all of. It's a solid bike that will serve you well. M/C sales are in the toilet (millennials don't ride) so take advantage. VFR's are lower on insurance than liters or 600 sportbikes. The 800 must have a can so you can hear that beautiful motor sing. My crossplane R1 fires at the exact same intervals and sounds exactly the same. There is no better aural soundtrack than the 90 degree V4 firing at those intervals or the crossplane firing the same. Sounds like a small block V8.

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've been watching tons of videos and reading reviews and forums and have decided to buy one. The dealer sold the one they had since my original post, but they got another one this morning that they are uncrating and assembling now. I plan to go pick it up this evening or tomorrow morning. I checked with all the Honda dealers in my area and the best I could do was $7K OTD (includes freight/setup/tax/title/license/doc fee). It's getting all fresh fluids, but not new tires. The one-year warranty still applies at purchase. Insurance is $327/yr. through State Farm. It's still way too cold to ride (I'm a weather wimp), so it'll be a few weeks before I can stretch its legs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
Will it be loaded in the bed of the G2? I'm looking forward to this, living "Vicariously" thru your reviews.

·
Administrator
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Will it be loaded in the bed of the G2? I'm looking forward to this, living "Vicariously" thru your reviews.
Of course! I need to either borrow my brother's ramp, go pick one up so I can unload it, or find a place to back up to, though. There are a few slopes I can back up to around my property to make unloading much easier.

It's all ready to be picked up - heading over after work this evening. Here's a very unflattering photo of it in front of their display of Bad Boy mowers:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Of course! I need to either borrow my brother's ramp, go pick one up so I can unload it, or find a place to back up to, though. There are a few slopes I can back up to around my property to make unloading much easier.

It's all ready to be picked up - heading over after work this evening. Here's a very unflattering photo of it in front of their display of Bad Boy mowers:
Nicely Done !!!! PM me if youre thinking of getting anything aftermarket I'll put you in touch with my guy at kyle racing

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy Your 'New' Viffer !

Congratulations @zroger73 !

FYI (noting you are in TX) ....

Two Wheeled Texans - a great community, friendly and welcoming folks, RTE (Ride to Eat) events all around the state, check it out :smile:

If interested in the closed-course roadracing (as a spectator, as a competitor, or as a paid Corner Worker), check out the Central Motorcycle RoadRacing Association, again friendly and welcoming folks. On Friday before each race weekend non-racers (folks without a competition license) can participate in the CMRA Track Experience Program, a day-long 'teaser' to get you on the track with your bike and see if you might catch the Roadracing Bug. The 2018 Season Schedule with track locations and contact info is Here.

Even if an 'experienced' rider, MSF courses are a great way to refresh your essential skills, especially if you've been off awhile. Just sayin' :wink:

Wishing you many happy Smiles with your new toy! :grin:

OT - though I've not posted here in a long time I continue to lurk - the Ridgeline still keeps floating to the top as the one vehicle most likely to replace my 2-vehicle fleet ('05 F150 / '14 Escape); the new Ranger certainly isn't in the running (I've checked it out carefully) ..... looking forward to seeing what the 2020 Ridgeline has in the way of tweaks borrowed from the latest Pilot

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Most dealers should have a loading dock.

If you end up going with ramps, try to get the single wide ramp (that's like three ramps fastened together).

If you can only get the skinny ramps, get two. You can walk up one while pushing/driving the bike up the other ramp.

Does VFR mean Very Fast Ride, or Very Fine Ride?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
....Does VFR mean Very Fast Ride, or Very Fine Ride?
A bit of both, IMO :laugh:

It really was (is) a very versatile street machine with a strong following for good reason.

But no, it's not competitive on the roadracing circuit.

EDIT for @zroger73 .... when it's time for tires I urge you to consider a 'designed for wet' tire such as the excellent Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4. Even though it sounds like you don't plan to ride in the rain, you will encounter wet streets eventually (sprinkler runoff sucks). IMO you'll never find them lacking compared to full-tilt 'dry' sport tires (assuming you stay sane and responsible on the street even while having fun - they are outstanding dry-weather street tires) but you will find them of great benefit when things get damp. Just my $0.02 for your consideration.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts