Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude edition, 4wd last night, and I've put 100 miles on it so far. I loved my (3) Ridgelines, including the RTL I just traded in, but first impressions of the GC are extremely favorable. The GC is tight as a drum, looks good inside and out, and similarly priced to the RTL this thing is absolutely loaded with a very nice cabin with digital/electronics everywhere and a lot of high-tech. features (Uconnect-Nav with blue-tooth, auto-start, heated steering wheel, auto headlamps, etc.). I'm not a "technology guy" generally - as I understand that more options means more opportunity for gadgetry to fail. But so far this technology is very impressive.

Hwy. commute this morning showed 25.6 mpg on the dash (close to the EPA figure of 24 hwy), and a noteworthy improvement over what I was able to achieve in the RL (mpg was one of my considerations for the trade, although I wasn't disappointed by my RL's gas mileage). GC feels very luxurious and well-appointed compared to the (similarly priced) RTL. It handles a little bit more like a "truck" than the RL, but it's very responsive and fun to drive... feels a bit taller than the RL and I wouldn't yet be comfortable taking a hairpin turn at high speed (the way I was with the RL which handled like a car). This edition of the GC has 20" rims.

There aren't any annoyances or concerns with the new GC so far, and my first impression is extremely impressed (this is the 4th Jeep-brand vehicle I've owned, 3 GC's and a dud 2012 Wrangler)... so far this 2015 appears to be head and shoulders over my previous Jeeps in terms of build quality and overall initial impressions. We'll see how it holds up and I'll provide updates.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Picked up my 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude edition, 4wd last night, and I've put 100 miles on it so far. I loved my (3) Ridgelines, including the RTL I just traded in, but first impressions of the GC are extremely favorable. The GC is tight as a drum, looks good inside and out, and similarly priced to the RTL this thing is absolutely loaded with a very nice cabin with digital/electronics everywhere and a lot of high-tech. features (Uconnect-Nav with blue-tooth, auto-start, heated steering wheel, auto headlamps, etc.). I'm not a "technology guy" generally - as I understand that more options means more opportunity for gadgetry to fail. But so far this technology is very impressive.

Hwy. commute this morning showed 25.6 mpg on the dash (close to the EPA figure of 24 hwy), and a noteworthy improvement over what I was able to achieve in the RL (mpg was one of my considerations for the trade, although I wasn't disappointed by my RL's gas mileage). GC feels very luxurious and well-appointed compared to the (similarly priced) RTL. It handles a little bit more like a "truck" than the RL, but it's very responsive and fun to drive... feels a bit taller than the RL and I wouldn't yet be comfortable taking a hairpin turn at high speed (the way I was with the RL which handled like a car). This edition of the GC has 20" rims.

There aren't any annoyances or concerns with the new GC so far, and my first impression is extremely impressed (this is the 4th Jeep-brand vehicle I've owned, 3 GC's and a dud 2012 Wrangler)... so far this 2015 appears to be head and shoulders over my previous Jeeps in terms of build quality and overall initial impressions. We'll see how it holds up and I'll provide updates.
Cool.... what are your dirive modes on your GC? (2wd, 4wd, how to change/lock, etc.)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Why the Altitude edition, and not the Limited for only a few hundred more? (which gets you a lot more "stuff")

Chip H.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool.... what are your dirive modes on your GC? (2wd, 4wd, how to change/lock, etc.)
My model (Laredo/Altitude) has Quadratrac-1 - which is a passive system like the RL's... although unlike the RL, there's no "low" lock in VTM-type of lock in... so we'll have to see how that goes. The (3) RL's I've owned were the best "snow" vehicles that I've owned, and I've owned many 4wd/awd vehicles in the past, so we'll see.

The reviews I've read about the current GC (updated in 2014 with a few changes, most notably an 8 spd. transmission) have been very positive. But there's no question that I'm skeptical of the Jeep's reliability due to being burnt in the past... so again, the jury's out.

The pluses (and key reasons I jumped from the RTL to the Jeep) are better gas mileage, big upgrade in terms of luxury/options/technology, and the styling of this jeep (the altitude has black rims and trim - so it at least looks a little bit different than most of the other GC's out there). The minuses for me are that I'll occasionally miss having the truck-bed, and the overall versatility of the RL are unmatched. But for now, until I see what Honda offers for Gen2 RL, the Jeep appears to be a very nice way to get around.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why the Altitude edition, and not the Limited for only a few hundred more? (which gets you a lot more "stuff")

Chip H.
Hey Chip, the "altitude" package gives me everything I'd want in the Limited (heated seats, heated steering wheel, leather/suede seats, remote-start, U-connect, auto headlights, etc.) and I like the altitude "blackened-out" look better than all of the chrome on the Limited. Plus I added the nav., upgraded 9 speaker 520w stereo (upgraded from the base Laredo) backup camera (which has warning tones, something I thought was a dumb omission from my RTL), and everything else the Limited has... so essentially it has everything the Limited has but I think it looks better (20" black rims, badging, etc.). So far, at around 400 miles I'm very impressed by the GC. I also like the U-connect features... for example, I was able to download the app. to my iPhone and now with the GC's remote I can remote start the vehicle from any location (blocks away for example), get alerts if the alarm is triggered, etc. I also like the ride and handling very much and I'm getting noticeably better mpg's than my RL(s) even during this break-in period. It's still early, and I'll be quickly turned off if anything mechanically starts to show up, but my first impression is an A+ all around for this vehicle.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5000 miles on my 2015 Grand Cherokee so I figured I'd check in to provide an update:

Things I like:

The GC continues to provide a great ride. Quiet, smooth, handles well (similar to the GC - although not quite as "car-like." Gas mileage is very good and the large fuel tank (approximately 25 gallons) gets me to 500+ miles between fill-ups. I routinely average 23-24 mpg's a tankful (which is 3-5 mpg's better than I routinely achieved with my RL). The technology and features (upgrades over the RL like bluetooth, remote start, heated steering wheel, an outstanding "u-connect" nav. system, etc.) are very nice and I'd consider these features to be a big step up from my 2013 RTL. So far I have not had ANY mechanical issues (a concern when I bought the Jeep, as I've owned Jeeps in the past with issues and never had any issues with my three RL's). The 8 speed transmission is very smooth and overall the GC is a pleasure to drive.

Things I miss:

I have found that I occasionally miss having the bed (and in-bed trunk)... for example, my generator/inverter that used to fit in the RL trunk now has to be secured in the GC's hatch. I'll also miss being able to place my full-sized grill in the bed for tailgating next Spring and then in the Fall for my son's college football games - that's a bummer (but obviously I knew going in that I'd be losing the bed). Most importantly, we've had a lot of snow this winter, and the GC (with OEM Goodyear Futora's) is not quite as sure-footed as the RL (with OEM Michelin's). I'm convinced that this is a tire issue - not a vehicle issue... and the GC isn't bad, it's just not as good. So next winter I'll likely go with the Blizzak's for the winter months (something I never felt the need to do with the Michelin's). The RL with OEM's was the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow (including a long list of 4wd/awd vehicles).

Overall:

So far I'm very pleased with the GC. The better mileage and range and the additional features of the GC provide advantages (over my RTL's) that I'm enjoying. I'm following the Generation 2 RL thread closely, and from what I've seen so far the timing will be right to trade my GC at 60K-90K miles (when I'll also be more likely have concerns about the Jeep's reliability) for a gen2. In the meantime I'm extremely pleased with the GC so far.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've lived in New England most of my life. Don't remember a winter this bad (I actually like the storms, at least it's not boring, and we appreciate the summer that much more!). I don't know how people live in a climate like this without 4wd. You see them (and I frequently try to help them) stuck every time it snows. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's tough enough getting around snow covered roads in the middle of a storm with awd/4wd - especially since most people are horrible drivers... either horrified that there's snow on the ground so they go 10 mph or they think they are good enough or their vehicle is beast enough that it's impervious to the conditions. They're the ones who somehow manage to get their vehicles planted on top of snowbanks/guardrails every storm!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I've lived in New England most of my life. Don't remember a winter this bad (I actually like the storms, at least it's not boring, and we appreciate the summer that much more!). I don't know how people live in a climate like this without 4wd. You see them (and I frequently try to help them) stuck every time it snows. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's tough enough getting around snow covered roads in the middle of a storm with awd/4wd - especially since most people are horrible drivers... either horrified that there's snow on the ground so they go 10 mph or they think they are good enough or their vehicle is beast enough that it's impervious to the conditions. They're the ones who somehow manage to get their vehicles planted on top of snowbanks/guardrails every storm!
Are you old enough to remember '78???

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you old enough to remember '78???
Oh yeah, I was in high school. My car was a (sh*tbox) 67 Mustang back then, and virtually everybody drove rear wheel drive cars back in those days... so thousands of people were stuck on the area highways and their cars abandoned for days because the area wasn't prepared for the "Blizzard of 78." That was something. I believe that overall there's actually been more snow this winter even though that particular storm, which was poorly predicted, brought nearly 40" to the area (on the heels of another big storm). Fortunately forecasts, snow removal, and vehicle capabilities (4wd/awd, and even front wheel drive) have come a long way since then, so hopefully we won't see another Walking Dead scenario where major highways are clogged for days with thousands of abandoned cars.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
'Was out & about today & stopped by to take a quick test drive in the GC...it was the "Limited" model. Very impressed with the quiet interior & smooth ride. Lots of "pep" too. Kicks through gears pretty quick. The shifter is 'different. I'm not an instant fan of that, but it could grow on me I suppose. Overall, seemed like a pretty darned nice SUV.
One thing bad however... and I can't believe they did not see this in their testing.... if you have direct sunlight coming down onto the top of the shift knob, the sun COMPLETELY washes out the otherwise 'lit' white letter which indicates which gear you are in. If you shade it with your hand (or if you don't have sun shining in) the 'lit' one is blue-ish while the others remain white; but with the direct sun, they are ALL white (blue is too light & gets washed white by the sun). Bad detail they should fix. BTW, this shifter is a spring-push shifter that toggles to next choice with each forward push of the knob... so the ONLY way to tell what gear you are in visually is by looking at those white/blue letters!!
The rest of the GC was very impressive, from what I saw during those 20 minutes today. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very true on that shifter (and I've read it pointed out by the experts as the one thing they find as a flaw with the GC). Honestly I've gotten used to it. I generally can feel what gear I've shifted into and a quick glance at the dash confirms it... I haven't noticed a problem with glare, probably because it's been dark and snowing all winter here :). I actually don't even notice the shifting as an annoyance in any way any more.

One thing I can say is that I hope G2 Ridgeline comes up with an interior that's as nice or close to the GC. It feels like a lot of thought went into the GC interior and I was always kind of disappointed in the RTL interior. At least in the original/earlier models you could get some two-tone look in the interior (at least the seats and I think lighter and darker shades throughout the interior from what I remember of my 06 RTL). My 09 and 13 RTL interior(s) were, in a word, bland.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
10,000 mile update on my 2015 GC in case anybody's interested:

So far so good. It's the first domestic I've owned in a long time that hasn't had a single issue that I've had to take to the dealer... I know it's early, but I really came to appreciate the reliability of my 3 RTL's, and I expected to find some concern with the Jeep by now, but so far it's been flawless.

Still getting good mpg's (23-24 mpg's average per tank) and with a 25 gallon tank I'm getting over 500 miles between fill-ups which is really nice. The technology, ride, styling, and (so far) mechanical performance of this vehicle continue to impress.

I do miss the bed and in-bed trunk occasionally. But not as much as I thought I might. The back seats fold flat in two seconds with a very easy pull on a lever. And I have the Jeep rubber mats throughout, including the trunk area, so when I need to put trash or a wet dog back there it's not an issue.

Regarding snow driving... and yeah we had plenty this winter in New England, I really put it through the test. I do a lot of driving regardless of the weather, so I was out in some crazy storms. I'd rate the Jeep as very good. Just a hair under the RL. If it had the RL's OEM Michelin's my guess is that it would be equal to the RL, but the all weather Goodyears just aren't as good for snow driving in my opinion. Next winter I may get the Blizzak's.

So at 10K miles I'm happy to be driving this Jeep. But of course I'm keeping my eye on Gen2 since I loved my Ridgelines and I tend to cycle through cars every few years as I pile on the miles. Honda's got some work to do to put the trade-in bug in my ear right now since this Jeep is as good as it is.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated. You hear so many bad stories about Jeep reliability it could easily scare someone off from trying one. It's refreshing to here good info about your Jeep.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
10,000 mile update on my 2015 GC in case anybody's interested:

So far so good. It's the first domestic I've owned in a long time that hasn't had a single issue that I've had to take to the dealer... I know it's early, but I really came to appreciate the reliability of my 3 RTL's, and I expected to find some concern with the Jeep by now, but so far it's been flawless.

Still getting good mpg's (23-24 mpg's average per tank) and with a 25 gallon tank I'm getting over 500 miles between fill-ups which is really nice. The technology, ride, styling, and (so far) mechanical performance of this vehicle continue to impress.

I do miss the bed and in-bed trunk occasionally. But not as much as I thought I might. The back seats fold flat in two seconds with a very easy pull on a lever. And I have the Jeep rubber mats throughout, including the trunk area, so when I need to put trash or a wet dog back there it's not an issue.

Regarding snow driving... and yeah we had plenty this winter in New England, I really put it through the test. I do a lot of driving regardless of the weather, so I was out in some crazy storms. I'd rate the Jeep as very good. Just a hair under the RL. If it had the RL's OEM Michelin's my guess is that it would be equal to the RL, but the all weather Goodyears just aren't as good for snow driving in my opinion. Next winter I may get the Blizzak's.

So at 10K miles I'm happy to be driving this Jeep. But of course I'm keeping my eye on Gen2 since I loved my Ridgelines and I tend to cycle through cars every few years as I pile on the miles. Honda's got some work to do to put the trade-in bug in my ear right now since this Jeep is as good as it is.
Glad you're not having any problems with your new ride. That's better than I had with my RL..... but they were all small problems when it was new.
Definitely better than our Chevy Astro in '99 .... wow that was a dog from the get go; almost more time at the dealer than in my driveway! :)
Good to see American mfgs doing better anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first car was a 93 GC. I was the 3rd owner after my uncle sold it to me for the cost a CV joint. I put all terrain tires on it and lived that car except for the MPG from the big V8.

Pushed snow up over the bumper, off road way more than a GC is supposed to do. Great fishing and hunting vehicle. Wrecked and put it back together with my dad and then my sisters leaned to drive it and then my dad used it as a snow day vehicle until the bumper fell off and was too rusty to put it back. Went to the junkyard with a hard earned 250k.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1427277824.540291.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts