Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I guess I don't understand marketing, but it baffles me why Honda would a test drive for journalists and then "embargo" info to 20 May. Why not just have the stinking event after that date, if it's so important? Like it matters to the public anyway.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
So the Pilot officially looks like all the rest...

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I didn't think it looked like "all the rest"(SUVs) so much as it looks an awful lot like a minivan with standard doors!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I didn't think it looked like "all the rest"(SUVs) so much as it looks an awful lot like a minivan with standard doors!
I agree sadly. It really does. MDX not even close and I think they should have at least done that. I worry about the new gen two Ridge, I have a bad feeling that it's going to be quite plain Jane with a flat narrower style appearance.

·
Registered
744 Posts
GM tried the same thing the other way around with the Chevy Uplander & Pontiac Montana. Lengthen the nose on a minivan in order to make it look like an SUV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can catch the mpg for their test pilot at the 3:14 mark (14.7mpg); hopefully from extended idling during the shoot. If the RL2 is using the same 3.5L V6, we may want to reevaluate our expectations for improved efficiency. Then again, here's another recent video of the new pilot on a track where they appear to be getting 24.6, so that's encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpgqSpGIVd8

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It occurs to me that they should maybe make a slightly shorter wheel-base version, w/o the 3rd row seating..... like Chevy did with Tahoe vs. Suburban. Could bring some slightly more budget-limited buyers into the fold.

·
Registered
379 Posts
They probably push those people who want a smaller SUV towards the CRV now that it has grown so huge. The HRV takes over for the original CRV.

Nothing wrong with the Pilot's looks, IMO. Looks modern, sleek, and upscale. Definitely not the look you want for a truck that already has an image problem. Sadly, they'll probably just chop the rear, put a truck bed on it and call it a day to keep "brand identity."

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
They probably push those people who want a smaller SUV towards the CRV now that it has grown so huge. The HRV takes over for the original CRV.

Nothing wrong with the Pilot's looks, IMO. Looks modern, sleek, and upscale. Definitely not the look you want for a truck that already has an image problem. Sadly, they'll probably just chop the rear, put a truck bed on it and call it a day to keep "brand identity."
Actually, the cargo area in CRV has not changed much in a decade to now.
I would bet the HRV is still smaller inside than the gen 2 CRV..maybe even gen 1. I can see it replace the Fit but not the CRV.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You can catch the mpg for their test pilot at the 3:14 mark (14.7mpg); hopefully from extended idling during the shoot. If the RL2 is using the same 3.5L V6, we may want to reevaluate our expectations for improved efficiency. Then again, here's another recent video of the new pilot on a track where they appear to be getting 24.6, so that's encouraging.

You can't go by that -- journalists flog their test vehicles.

Chip H.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Thanks for posting this! My wife and I will be in line to buy a new Pilot when they come available. I really like the redesign. If Honda can add about one inch more lift to the suspension, this will make a great Ridgeline, too. I'll be in line for one of those, too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I really like those flip down head restraints on the rear seats. If the RL gets those it should help rear visibility. I know you can pull off the current ones, but then they rattle around under the back seat. I really hope the G2 gets an analog speedo. I like those better.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
What will interest me most when the info embargo is lifted from the Pilot on May 20 will be the specs for the two transmission options and the mpgs. It will be interesting to see if the 9AT (ZF) shows any gains in fuel efficiency over the 6AT. From what Joe has said about Honda's frustrations (recalls, software issues) with the ZF9, and from the 2016 MDX specs for both ATs, it seems doubtful there will be any better mileage with the 9AT. This has to be pushing Honda to bring their own 10AT into production ASAP to stay competitive as well as meet new CAFE regs. Supposedly, the next gen RL will initially have a 6AT/9AT option spread by trim level similar to the new Pilot. Hence, the timeline for phasing a new Honda 10AT into the MDX/Pilot/RL lineup will have real implications for potential buyers like me who don't plan to buy a Gen2 RL right away.

Also of major interest to me will be more info on how well the new iVTM4 and terrain-select systems work in the 2016 Pilot. I noticed a "Snow" button in the video but didn't see the "Mud" or "Sand" settings that Joe suggested would grace the next gen RL. And I'm also wondering if terrain-select will only be available on 9AT-equipped Pilots and RLs.

·
Registered
971 Posts
What will interest me most when the info embargo is lifted from the Pilot on May 20 will be the specs for the two transmission options and the mpgs. It will be interesting to see if the 9AT (ZF) shows any gains in fuel efficiency over the 6AT. From what Joe has said about Honda's frustrations (recalls, software issues) with the ZF9, and from the 2016 MDX specs for both ATs, it seems doubtful there will be any better mileage with the 9AT. This has to be pushing Honda to bring their own 10AT into production ASAP to stay competitive as well as meet new CAFE regs. Supposedly, the next gen RL will initially have a 6AT/9AT option spread by trim level similar to the new Pilot. Hence, the timeline for phasing a new Honda 10AT into the MDX/Pilot/RL lineup will have real implications for potential buyers like me who don't plan to buy a Gen2 RL right away.

Also of major interest to me will be more info on how well the new iVTM4 and terrain-select systems work in the 2016 Pilot. I noticed a "Snow" button in the video but didn't see the "Mud" or "Sand" settings that Joe suggested would grace the next gen RL. And I'm also wondering if terrain-select will only be available on 9AT-equipped Pilots and RLs.
Mud or Sand setting? ok but how about a useful tow mode dial that can switch the vehicle to handle towing. As far as increased mpg from the transmission I have my doubts as you already mentioned. This kind of stuff takes a few years to develop and the Pilot is apparently coming in June to some lots with a 6 or 9 speed that is outdated or perhaps minimal for mpg? Doesn't sound like a thought out a plan to me.

If a 10 speed was the winner maybe they should have had it ready and tested for the release. Releasing a 10 speed only few years later when some folks are paying out large for the 9 speed thinking its all that is seriously going to upset some buyers. Its not like they have not had enough time. I don't think they can afford any more bad press. This one really needs to hit home for the company to set the tone going forward on other products. I don't know, 3.5 earth dreams, a new transmission that could be problematic from some reports and it doesn't bode well in mpg. Looks so far kind of bland for North America styling.

One can only hope the Ridgeline will not fall into this category.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
They've released more information and show a lot more about the Pilot, especially the interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqOmipNGV4

Personally, I'm not a fan of the touch controls on the nav system. And I'm glad they didn't use them everywhere like they did on the HR-V.

Secret spy shot: Did you see the heated seat controls? Where have we seen those before, hmm?

Chip H.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts