Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The more I look at it, the more it's growing on me. I'm starting to really like this new Pilot. One thing for sure, this is designed to be a soccer mom's SUV. Therefore, I get the front look being SUV and all, however; I hope that they don't have the same front end on the 2017 RL because that front doesn't look truckish enough for me.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Video of the Pilot intro in Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_QmvqtrYs

This is by the TFLCar guys, who were pretty down on the previous generation Pilot for being outdated (rightly so, IMO). Hopefully Honda PR will get them one of the new ones to test once production models start being built.

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Maybe in my next life phase, retired and living in a condo, I can give up owning a truck and own another SUV. However, we won't need a 3rd row.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Its an improvement but were talkin something (RL) that's ten years old that hasn't been changed. Now that they do I don't like the front end look of the Pilot for a truck. Look at the Honda models HRV, CRV and Pilot, they all look the same to a point and they might be the same on the RL, that's just B.S.. All their SUVs look alike just depends on the size and a bit of fluff you want or your purpose in use. Boring..........Come one they can change it up a bit more....... Its a fricken truck..........I don't want a truck that looks like a SUV again.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Its an improvement but were talkin something (RL) that's ten years old that hasn't been changed. Now that they do I don't like the front end look of the Pilot for a truck. Look at the Honda models HRV, CRV and Pilot, they all look the same to a point and they might be the same on the RL, that's just B.S.. All their SUVs look alike just depends on the size and a bit of fluff you want or your purpose in use. Boring..........Come one they can change it up a bit more....... Its a fricken truck..........I don't want a truck that looks like a SUV again.
Like he said.:act035:

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I never really thought of the Pilot as "ugly", even if it weren't one of the better-looking SUVs out there...

...until I compared them side-by-side. The 2015 Pilot suddenly looks incredibly plain and dated. If only the 2017 Ridgeline appears similarly "changed"...!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm unimpressed as well. Seems to me Honda is getting the styling clues from Lexus. The grill is totally blah and they are doing the LED in the lights which has become cliche' in modern design. Interior looks nice except no arm rest which would be a single reason for not getting it for me.

Typical Honda uses the most boring of colors in their marketing launch. Come on...grey on grey with tan trim? Couldn't do any better than that?

Only hope is that the engine/transmission outperforms the competition because the rest is plain Jane. Please Honda do something creative with the RL.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car makers usually try to have some family resemblance between their models. It gives them an instantly identifiable brand-look. Take a look at the GMC Sierra and the mid-size Canyon. The front grille and wheel arches are very similar between them (bumper is different, and sizes are different, but there's no question they're both a GMC)

And that's OK. The concern though, is that the Pilot & Ridgeline will have more than a familial resemblance - but the entire front clip carried over. Hopefully not.

Chip H.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I hope they don't follow the lead of full size trucks and put a BAG* on it.

* Big Ass Grill

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm still on the fence about the new Pilot. To be honest, I actually liked the boxier styling of the previous generation. The design put more emphasis on function over form, in my opinion. It may not have had the swoopy lines of its competitors and as a result many auto writers slammed it, but to me it stood out as I see the new Highlanders and Pathfinders and often cannot tell much difference between the two at a distance.

Now, an improvement on fit and finish will be a huge positive. I just got done driving our Pilot for 2,000 miles and the extra wind noise I would hear after every bump got on my last nerve.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
The concern though, is that the Pilot & Ridgeline will have more than a familial resemblance - but the entire front clip carried over. Hopefully not.
Agreed. I like the face of the Pilot...on a family SUV. However, I don't think anyone will argue that is it bit "soft" for a "truck". The late Ridgeline's straight lines at least gave it somewhat of a masculine, if somewhat juvenile, look.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm still on the fence about the new Pilot. To be honest, I actually liked the boxier styling of the previous generation. The design put more emphasis on function over form, in my opinion. It may not have had the swoopy lines of its competitors and as a result many auto writers slammed it, but to me it stood out as I see the new Highlanders and Pathfinders and often cannot tell much difference between the two at a distance.

Now, an improvement on fit and finish will be a huge positive. I just got done driving our Pilot for 2,000 miles and the extra wind noise I would hear after every bump got on my last nerve.
I don't mind the boxy look either, it also offers the most space in a given footprint. Now the Jeepish look of the D pillar/tailight area and the deer in the head lights look of the current Pilot are another thing.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Are they not going with VCM? The 'better' looks will not help with that.."dream" engine... maybe not.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They will have VCM on the Pilot - it will drop down to 3 active cylinders (mentioned in the video). Hopefully it's not as noticeable.

Chip H.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts