Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring (🍁) - Deep Scarlet Pearl
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Touring:
Tailgate wiring exposed in hinge. Plastic cover has split/separated, may never have been attached correctly.
I'll let the dealer fix this before I take it apart again, installing my Pop & Lock.

Update: Dealer has ordered new tailgate (camera) wiring harness

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just experienced this same issue on my 17' Sport. Head unit never engaged backup camera screen when shifted into reverse. Just went blank or displayed the last screen shown. Took my RL in to the shop and yup, cut in the wire harness to the tailgate camera like you mentioned... They are replacing it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Honda Ridgeline Sport (Canada). Back-up camera ceased working all together. Head unit displays black, with the guide marks. Harness broken at pivot point of tailgate. (Left bottom corner of tailgate). Took 2 months to get the harness and a camera per Honda Canada. Truck was literally JUST dropped off. We will see.....

So far, this truck is garbage. Only 20,000km on it and it’s had a whack of issues. Not impressed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2017 Ridgeline Backup Camera Flicker

Did a search and didn't see anything on this issue yet. I hope i'm the first (since I don't want anyone else having the same issue!)

Just picked up truck backup after doing B12 service along with the recall for the fuel pump.

While backing up yesterday, noticed that the backup camera was flickering / going in and out of the black screen. All sensors were still working fine, just the display

here's a quick video:

https://youtu.be/6UcYCuORfYU

I know that backup camera issues can be notoriously tricky to diagnose and fix. I've been able to re-create it regularly the past day and today, but my appt isn't until next monday (today is wed).

I don't think it's related, but any chance what they did with the recall somehow tinkered with the wiring or something that may have caused this? Just seems like an odd coincidence that this happened right after I took it in for service. Never had a problem prior to this.

Anyone else experience any issues with the backup cam?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,872 Posts
I haven't had this problem at all. But, question, does the flicker happen during the daytime too? Another question: did you have the Honda tailgate lock or Pop & Lock manual key lock installed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah happens during the day as well (just tried it a few times today)

and no to the Honda Tailgate Lock / Pop & Lock

Just the Truxedo roll up cover.

I am wondering if they somehow pinched a wire or something during the recall

·
Registered
43 Posts
So just to follow up on this. Turns out, it was the rear camera wiring harness that goes from the bed to the tailgate.

I took a look at it after zroger73 posted the links above and saw that there was a clear disconnect in the wire

To be honest, looking at the location and the bend of the wire, i'm surprised this is not a more common issue. Just closing and opening the tailgate creates quite the articulation/bend on that wire. I don't think i'm a super user of the tailgate by any means, but probably several times a week to load groceries etc.

just concerned about the long term problems - as i've only owned the vehicle about 2 years.

Here's another quick video as well to show where the bend happens.

https://youtu.be/eaK5wVtSEYw

Either way, this was fixed under Warranty - it did take them about 5 days to get the harness in stock.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
Thanks for the update. That now makes four broken camera wiring harnesses reported here - two 2017's and two 2018's.

Unless Honda made a running change to address this issue on vehicles manufactured beginning May 2018, I can see a recall coming for "inspect and replace or modify camera harness" since backup cameras have been mandatory since that date.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
Moderator's note: Thread title changed and relevant posts merged.

Apparently, Honda is aware of this issue and is investigating. On February 25, 2019, Honda sent the following message to dealers:

"Background
American Honda (AHM) is collecting a HEALTHY tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 Ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.

Qualifiers
AHM is interested ONLY if the vehicle meets the following requirements:
1. Tailgate harness (P/N 32109-T6Z-A00) has not been replaced.

Action Required
If you have or know of such a vehicle, please call Technical Research & Support (TRS) Group at [...]. TRS will need to record certain vehicle information and
provide you with further instructions."

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've has several instances where the screen just went to black (no grid lines). At first I thought it was due to the summer heat but then it happened in the winter. After watching the video, I took a peek and the harness looks pristine to me. That zip tie looks to be an important piece in all of this. There is definitely a lot of movement during the motion of the tailgate so all that slack is necessary. I'm thinking of adding some 3/8 wire loom for extra protecton. Seems like a vulnerable design considering all the abuse that a truck bed can take and stuff getting stuck in that area.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: 2017 Ridgeline Backup Camera Flicker

Did a search and didn't see anything on this issue yet. I hope i'm the first (since I don't want anyone else having the same issue!)

Just picked up truck backup after doing B12 service along with the recall for the fuel pump.

While backing up yesterday, noticed that the backup camera was flickering / going in and out of the black screen. All sensors were still working fine, just the display

here's a quick video:

https://youtu.be/6UcYCuORfYU

I know that backup camera issues can be notoriously tricky to diagnose and fix. I've been able to re-create it regularly the past day and today, but my appt isn't until next monday (today is wed).

I don't think it's related, but any chance what they did with the recall somehow tinkered with the wiring or something that may have caused this? Just seems like an odd coincidence that this happened right after I took it in for service. Never had a problem prior to this.

Anyone else experience any issues with the backup cam?

My camera did the same thing about a year ago and then happened again yesterday. Interestingly, the camera was fine when I tapped the buttons to change the view (tow hitch, narrow view). It was just the default view that went black, actually black the first time, then white when I shifted out of reverse and then back into reverse. I'll look at the wires today.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yikes 6 weeks!

On another note. I noticed that the dealer did not re-attach (clip in) the rear plastic spoiler/trip piece that sits above the tailgate properly. :|

Went to lift up my tailgate the other day and that piece was mega loosey goosey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last night my backup camera went out. Took a look at the wiring harness and see a cut wire. After lifting the tailgate, there is a lot of movement in that wiring harness and I can see eventually all of the wires being cut.

Since its just out of warranty, the dealer won't cover it and was just thinking about splicing it which should work but eventually with all of the movement with the harness just see it being an ongoing problem.

I'm interested if any other RL owners have had this problem and what solutions they may have to fix it.

I've attached a photo to show the issue.

Thanks in advance!

honda-trunk-camera (1).jpg

·
Registered
963 Posts
Call Honda. Depending on how far it's out of warranty you are they may consider repairing it. That looks like a possible design failure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 173 Posts