Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I haven't had the need to use these instructions I did modify my wires with a portion of that method by cutting two of the restrictive ties and then allowing the harness to move more freely. I never had the pinching on mine and I've not had any trouble but it was easy to see that the wires are too tied down in the places they were. By allowing some freedom of movement in the harness area there it will allow the wire loom and wires more flexxing areas and stop it from being a problem. I did mine last year when this was first mentioned and have "watched" it the last year or so and all has been good. With 40,000mi on it now I don't think it's going to be a problem with mine in the short term. But there's always movement of the wires and anything allowed to flex like that will be suspect in the long term of 100k or 200k miles which i don't ever anticipate hitting. Someone else will own this truck by then! And I'll be driving a electric Rivian or something else ! lol

Steve
This appears to only affect 2017-2018 models. Backup cameras were not required by law until May 2018 by which time the 2019 Ridgeline had already been in production for three months. Since a backup camera isn't required by law on the 2017-2018 Ridgeline, there's less motivation for Honda to cover it after the 3/36 warranty expires.
All, my 2018 Black Edition has this issue. Dealer is queued up to make repair. Any specific guidance I can give the tech to help ensure the repair lasts? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,644 Posts
Hopefully the dealer has done the repair before and knows what to do to keep the wires from breaking again. On mine I cut the ties as mentioned to allow more flex. There's been numerous posts about this and pictures and all so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here. But, like i said, keeping the wires less taught will allow more movement over the length of the cable that's there. That will stop it from breaking easily. Restricting the movement puts more tension on the short part of the harness thereby breaking it quicker.

Steve still fine with mine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looked at mine today and the plastic tubing was torn open but the wires are not damaged.Dealer taped the tubing and called it a day. 17K miles and 4 days of bumper to bumper warranty left. I do have
Honda care extended warranty, don"t know if the Honda care warranty would cover that .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looked at mine today and the plastic tubing was torn open but the wires are not damaged.Dealer taped the tubing and called it a day. 17K miles and 4 days of bumper to bumper warranty left. I do have
Honda care extended warranty, don"t know if the Honda care warranty would cover that .
The problem with a dealer repair on this is that (I assume), they are going to duplicate the Honda engineered solution. That only means that the failure is coming at the same rate as before the repair.

Taping up what is there is a quick way to “solve” the issue, for a time — I’m sure you already know this and you are relying on the extended warranty. Not sure what is covered or not under that circumstance. I’d recommend taking an hour of time to do the “field engineering” modification in this thread, when you have the time.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
It does look plausible with the extra cable possibly adding strain to the camera cabling. I'd say it's easily as likely or more likely that it would have failed anyway, but I'd probably look at fixing it myself as well, most likely by repairing the existing wires as others have done. Heat shrink and solder is a very solid fix. Then just protect it well so it doesn't break again.
After digging into the mess, I discovered I only had one wire broken: The white(or ivory) wire was completely severed. The green wire had some insulation rubbed off down to the copper but was in one piece. I ended up using a non-insulated 18-22 AWG crimp butt connector filled with dielectric grease and covered with heat shrink, then taped it all up with Scotch 88 and added some of the Tesa tape where it didn't interfere with the factory fittings. Looking at @joal81 's post, things would have been a helluva lot easier if I'd removed the taillight, but hindsight is 20/20, right? Rather than tying up the excess in a loop like the factory, I pushed it down into the space below the taillight where it would have room to move.

The backup camera worked better than it ever had, makes me think the wire had been coming apart for some time.

Then I traded the truck.... :)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I looked at the wiring in the 2020 today, it's the same arrangement but a much tighter loop above the cable tie on the left compared to the pics I've seen posted, my 2018 and my friend's 2019.. I need to get a better pic but it seems to have more slack underneath and it doesn't look like the tailgate will touch the wire loom anywhere.

Maybe it's fixed!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Are those bare wires at the bottom (white, blue, red)? Never saw any bare wires before.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Are those bare wires at the bottom (white, blue, red)? Never saw any bare wires before.
You're right, it looks like they left off the tape to get them into the channel thingie. They're zip-tied on either side so they shouldn't move but it's definitely something to keep an eye on occasionally.

Here's a better pic:
IMG_0031.jpg

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yikes, I would cover that up somehow. When I had my 17 I spend a lot of time watching that harness with opening and closing both ways. I had said that the wires break from the inside out like when you try to bend a credit card in half by bending over and over. When I looked at the wire It basically went from a U to a V with the conventional opening of the tailgate. All the strain occurred by the right angle piece which the 2020 doesn't seem to have.. The 2020 does look different so hopefully it's sorted out now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah, in some respects it looks better, but leaving those wires uncovered with no loom or wrap on them doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I guess time will tell, but it seems like another amateur move on Honda's part. I really don't understand why they wouldn't fix the problem right after all this time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, It happened to me with 56K miles on my 2018. Out of warranty, I'm going to try and fix it myself. Honda USA does not impress me, especially after the injector debacle and now this. Thank you all for your helpful posts!

·
Registered
2019 RTL
204 Posts
Have others had this addressed under warranty? How much work is involved in replacing the harness? If it's failing on 2-3 year old trucks, Honda could end up having to replace this 3 times on those with 8 year Honda Care!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Have others had this addressed under warranty? How much work is involved in replacing the harness? If it's failing on 2-3 year old trucks, Honda could end up having to replace this 3 times on those with 8 year Honda Care!
Are you sure HondaCare would cover this? It can get very picky. I had a transmission replaced and there were about 50 bucks of bolts that HondaCare didn't cover. Can you believe that? A $4300 job fortunately covered under warranty and then you go to the customer and ask for 50 bucks. Fortunately, the dealer covered it. I think the harness is designed to spec and Hondcare could say it's not on them, it an owner use issue, just guessing. Don't be fooled into thinking that HondaCare takes over when the 3/36 ends with the exception of normal wear items. It doesn't.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts