Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

261 - 280 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Adding my 2018 Black Edition to the list with a damaged wire harnesses.

I went to the dealer and was told they'd need to charge a diagnostic fee. I told the service advisor I can show you exactly where it is. Please grab someone who can actually make the determination that this is indeed a warranty fix. I showed the second guy where it was pinched. He said "wow great job Honda" and told me that this would be covered under warranty.

I'm a month out from my 3/36000 (and about 3000 miles). Glad it finally broken when it did. Not sure how much arguing I'd have to do if it were a few weeks/miles outside of warranty. I suppose persistence is key, they would have me sign away a $100 diagnostic fee. I can't imaging what they'd quote out of warranty to actually do the work.

I filled out the NHTSA complaint referenced by @zroger73
This should be a recall or at a minimum a TSB-- my camera died during a drive.

I also asked about getting the damaged harness if anyone is interested in taking a look at it. I'm not sure if they will oblige or not.

Thanks to all of you for pointing out where the problem was and suggesting an alternate routing. Once I've got my new wire harness, I'm going to reroute the thing.

This on top of the hood fluttering and I'm second guessing Honda quality...
My hood flutters too - thought it was just me!

·
Registered
2018 Black Edition
4 Posts
My hood flutters too - thought it was just me!
@Bajapalm I suppose you're in good company!

There is a TSB 17-803 out there for the hood fluttering. I took mine to the dealer and showed them the TSB and they applied the body sealant and adjusted the hood stops took them about 2.5 hours. I still get occasional flutter over 75mph in high winds, but not nearly as bad as it was originally.

Here's a link to the thread with the TSB:

·
Banned
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
365 Posts
That information is for dealers - not owners. You'll need dealer credentials.
Well, that a clever idea, avoid the consumers, and just ask the paid help to agree with you. However thank you for the Reply and the Information

Adding my 2018 Black Edition to the list with a damaged wire harnesses.

I went to the dealer and was told they'd need to charge a diagnostic fee. I told the service advisor I can show you exactly where it is. Please grab someone who can actually make the determination that this is indeed a warranty fix. I showed the second guy where it was pinched. He said "wow great job Honda" and told me that this would be covered under warranty.

I'm a month out from my 3/36000 (and about 3000 miles). Glad it finally broken when it did. Not sure how much arguing I'd have to do if it were a few weeks/miles outside of warranty. I suppose persistence is key, they would have me sign away a $100 diagnostic fee. I can't imaging what they'd quote out of warranty to actually do the work.

I filled out the NHTSA complaint referenced by @zroger73
This should be a recall or at a minimum a TSB-- my camera died during a drive.

I also asked about getting the damaged harness if anyone is interested in taking a look at it. I'm not sure if they will oblige or not.

Thanks to all of you for pointing out where the problem was and suggesting an alternate routing. Once I've got my new wire harness, I'm going to reroute the thing.

This on top of the hood fluttering and I'm second guessing Honda quality...
Only a &*^^%% computer would put a wiring harness at a pinch point

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
@mrmusselman1 Sorry to hear the tailgate harness on your 2018 broke just outside of warranty. Hopefully the dealership will step up and cover the harness replacement under warranty.

I've got a 2018 RTL-E and I've noticed the wire loom on my wires has split and the wires look kinked, pretty sure my camera will cut out some day. I'd love to get my hands on a broken wire harness to try rewiring it with more durable wire and wire loom and replace mine before it fails. If my idea works out I'll post here and maybe even bump it up to Honda. If you are able to get your old harness from the dealer and would be willing to part with it, I'd gladly pay for the shipping.

·
Banned
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
365 Posts
@mrmusselman1 Sorry to hear the tailgate harness on your 2018 broke just outside of warranty. Hopefully the dealership will step up and cover the harness replacement under warranty.

I've got a 2018 RTL-E and I've noticed the wire loom on my wires has split and the wires look kinked, pretty sure my camera will cut out some day. I'd love to get my hands on a broken wire harness to try rewiring it with more durable wire and wire loom and replace mine before it fails. If my idea works out I'll post here and maybe even bump it up to Honda. If you are able to get your old harness from the dealer and would be willing to part with it, I'd gladly pay for the shipping.
You have a fine Idea and Plan. Please keep us posted. I would have the sense to hire someone to retrofit this system on my R/L.

·
Registered
2018 Black Edition
4 Posts
@coolbob I got my Ridgeline back from the dealer today, they covered the fix under warranty. They held it overnight because they needed to order the harness. I asked them if I could keep the old harness and was told no. They said if Honda asks for it, they have to give it over because they charged it to warranty. Although the service advisor seemed to think it would just get thrown away...

It also looks like they used the same replacement part instead of the newer harness. I know a few people on the forum said there's a difference with the newer part, unfortunately the one they used looks exactly the same and routed with the same two 90 degree bends. I should have mentioned the different part numbers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
@coolbob I got my Ridgeline back from the dealer today, they covered the fix under warranty. They held it overnight because they needed to order the harness. I asked them if I could keep the old harness and was told no. They said if Honda asks for it, they have to give it over because they charged it to warranty. Although the service advisor seemed to think it would just get thrown away...

It also looks like they used the same replacement part instead of the newer harness. I know a few people on the forum said there's a difference with the newer part, unfortunately the one they used looks exactly the same and routed with the same two 90 degree bends. I should have mentioned the different part numbers.
Maybe you can readjust the harness? Just pull the tail light and clip the zip ties and maybe you can give it more slack. There is a previous post about this (maybe by Mountain man?)

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
@mrmusselman1 Thanks for asking if you could get the old harness. I had a feeling they would want to keep it.

I'm going to wait till mine fails and then have it replaced under warranty and I'm sure I won't get my old harness back either.

If anyone reading this has a 'bad' harness they could part with please contact me. Thanks!

Reactions: KiltedTailor

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
When dealer replaces a part under warranty they are required to keep it in case Honda calls for it. If they don't return it for inspection they are billed back for the part and the time it took the tech to replace the part. Even if the part is a common repair. But still under warranty. Sometimes Honda doesn't call for the part and it is thrown away.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
365 Posts
@mrmusselman1 Thanks for asking if you could get the old harness. I had a feeling they would want to keep it.

I'm going to wait till mine fails and then have it replaced under warranty and I'm sure I won't get my old harness back either.

If anyone reading this has a 'bad' harness they could part with please contact me. Thanks!
Hey Ho! Here is a thought for this worth while Project---can you find a Ridgeline in a junk yard, and get the wire harness that way? Sure, its a LONG SHOT, given how few are sold and how few 'die'. I saw a video of a R/L with an engine fire, which gave me this idea

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
Something like this might make the repair job a little easier:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just redid this whole damn thing. I thought I had screwed up not paying attention to wire color when originally doing the job in bad light. Today I went back in with good light and the two grey wires were identical. Of course I reversed them and lost the normal view cam. Not sure what to say as others have not mentioned this but I took pix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS
94 Posts
Anyone know why there is a difference of $33.00 between original ($60.00) and replacement ($27.00) harnesses (2017-18) vs. 2019 from the online dealers? The exploded parts view shows them to be identical...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am adding my 2017 RTL-E (82,xxx miles) to the list of truck with bad harnesses, although I am not sure yet whether or not my symptoms are due to the harness damage. I posted this elsewhere here a few days ago (Reversing / backup camera angle skewed) because my camera is working, just with a skewed view. With the tailgate up, I see the ground below the camera. About what I previously saw when I backed up with the tailgate down. Just for the heck of it, I put the tailgate down and put the truck into reverse. I could see the license plate!

Someone suggested that this was due to the harness being broken. I was/am skeptical that this is the cause, as no one else has reported the same symptoms. Still, I checked and my harness is broken and I can see bare wires. I'd post a photo, but what I see is identical to many previously posted pictures. I am planning on installing the Honda tailgate lock sometime in the next few weeks and will solder/reinforce the wires and harness as appropriate then. I should also be able to tell if the camera has somehow shifted in the housing. I will report back when I am finished, but in the meantime I filed a report with NHTSA to add my VIN to the list.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Add me to the list just had the 2nd harness go at 39 months old and 38800 miles. Was replaced in January of 2020 with app 30000 miles. Taking it back to the dealer and of corse there saying it’s out of warranty and it will be out of pocket. My suggestion is if you can afford to pay Honda to fix that at some point there’s going to have to be an extended service campaign and if you payed for it to be repaired you will be reimbursed . If you do the repair on your own then nada and fully expect them to blame the repair for the failure and not cover it or reimburse you.

I have also submitted a report to the NHTSA including photos as it’s a safety issue since backup cameras are now required.

What happened to the Honda of old I had an 1983 Prelude that ran forever and the only issue that had was the Radio went out. My wife’s 2017 CRV 167k only had to do shocks, lower control arm, AC recall, and 3rd gear solenoid. Each one of these repairs only needed to be done once!

2017 Ridgeline
1st window failure day two
2nd window failure app three months later
Tailgate position switch failure at about a year
3rd window failure at year two
Backup camera goes out the first time
Window failure number 4
Transmission torque converter jutter
Then backup camera failure number two.

261 - 280 of 319 Posts