Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Administrator
19,013 Posts
I have also submitted a report to the NHTSA including photos as it’s a safety issue since backup cameras are now required.
Rearview cameras were not required by federal law until vehicles produced beginning May 2018. The requirement is not retroactive, so rearview cameras are not required on 2017, 2018, or early 2019 models.

If there's ever a recall or reimbursement for this, it'll be out of the kindness of Honda's heart - and not because they are legally obligated to do anything about it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rearview cameras were not required by federal law until vehicles produced beginning May 2018. The requirement is not retroactive, so rearview cameras are not required on 2017, 2018, or early 2019 models.

If there's ever a recall or reimbursement for this, it'll be out of the kindness of Honda's heart - and not because they are legally obligated to do anything about it.
Thanks for calling me out on that was passed in Congress in 2008 but The requirement was announced in 2014 but not required till 2018.

love this truck but I think we got the junior engineers for the wiring harness, windows and esp the dam oil filter placement.

·
Super Moderator
1,980 Posts
IMO after looking the situation over on my 17' I don't believe it's an engineering problem at all. It's actually a installation problem. There really isn't enough length of flexible wire to allow it to bend regularly. The longer the span of flexible wire the less stress on any portion of it. They wire tie it too much IMO. I cut some of mine and the wire loom is still good on it. That's because it's less stressed opening and closing. Sure, after 10 years I'll bet it breaks but we'll see about that too. I'm keeping mine for a while yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMO after looking the situation over on my 17' I don't believe it's an engineering problem at all. It's actually a installation problem. There really isn't enough length of flexible wire to allow it to bend regularly. The longer the span of flexible wire the less stress on any portion of it. They wire tie it too much IMO. I cut some of mine and the wire loom is still good on it. That's because it's less stressed opening and closing. Sure, after 10 years I'll bet it breaks but we'll see about that too. I'm keeping mine for a while yet.
I stand by it’s an engineering fault as they would call out the length of the premade wiring harness and locations of tie points and cable routing. In some regards it may have been better to make that portion of the harness out of higher strand count wire and twist or interwind the wires together so they can better stand up to the stress incurred by the same motions over and over again.

Even the corrugated plastic loom that is used is know to not have great flexibility especially in cold weather so I’m still dumbfounded how Honda could fumble this so bad.

And to be clear this is my opinion I’m not an engineer but I do have an extensive background and skill set in electronics repair.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
I maintain that they should have used two cameras, one over each taillight, with NO wires running to the tailgate (a proper electronic tailgate lock could be incorporated into the right D-pillar where the gate meets the bed). The resulting stereoscopic view could give better depth perception to objects behind the vehicle.

Alternatively, a single camera could be placed just above the license plate, although there might be some irritating blockage by the bumper, or anything attached to the hitch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I maintain that they should have used two cameras, one over each taillight, with NO wires running to the tailgate (a proper electronic tailgate lock could be incorporated into the right D-pillar where the gate meets the bed). The resulting stereoscopic view could give better depth perception to objects behind the vehicle.

Alternatively, a single camera could be placed just above the license plate, although there might be some irritating blockage by the bumper, or anything attached to the hitch.
I have seen aftermarket setups in trucks with the camera just above the plate and they work fine. However with that said Chevy and Ford have there’s on the tailgate with no issues. I wonder how the camera is mounted on the new Ram trucks with the dual function gate and how there aging.

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
So last night I decided that I had enough of this not working so here's what I did.

I pulled the tailgate cover and drivers side taillight and spliced in about five inches of silicone high flex wire in addition I doubled the wires so there two wires ran for each wire, Each connection was heat shrunk and the whole bundle was covered in protective webbing. In addition the tie point to the left was removed and I used a set of wire ties to give the new tether point some movement to hopefully buy me some additional time before the repair needs to be replaced again.

I seem to have picked up my hitch view again but it seems to take several seconds for it to switch over to that, In addition If i could get some help could someone take a picture of there backup screen view in each view mode, Hitch, Wide angle, and standard I cant tell if its displaying correctly or not? I'll add mine to this thread as well.

One other addition here in the first picture the original wires had heavy contamination from water wicking in from the failed wires so I ended up using standalone flux to get enough cleaning action to get the wires to solder together correctly.

·
Administrator
19,013 Posts
I appreciate the redundancy afforded by two wires, but I would have only ran one so that the heat shrink tubing could seal around the outside of the wires on both ends to reduce the chance of water entering the splice on the doubled-up end and causing further damage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I appreciate the redundancy afforded by two wires, but I would have only ran one so that the heat shrink tubing could seal around the outside of the wires on both ends to reduce the chance of water entering the splice on the doubled-up end and causing further damage.

There's liquid electrical tape used as well but i figure when this fails again i'll buy the oem part and splice in one larger conductor for each and use the sealing heat shrink tubing as well this was just a repair it with whats on hand last night type repair but fair point regardless.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So last night I decided that I had enough of this not working so here's what I did.

I pulled the tailgate cover and drivers side taillight and spliced in about five inches of silicone high flex wire in addition I doubled the wires so there two wires ran for each wire, Each connection was heat shrunk and the whole bundle was covered in protective webbing. In addition the tie point to the left was removed and I used a set of wire ties to give the new tether point some movement to hopefully buy me some additional time before the repair needs to be replaced again.

I seem to have picked up my hitch view again but it seems to take several seconds for it to switch over to that, In addition If i could get some help could someone take a picture of there backup screen view in each view mode, Hitch, Wide angle, and standard I cant tell if its displaying correctly or not? I'll add mine to this thread as well.

One other addition here in the first picture the original wires had heavy contamination from water wicking in from the failed wires so I ended up using standalone flux to get enough cleaning action to get the wires to solder together correctly.

View attachment 410763 View attachment 410764 View attachment 410765 View attachment 410766
You see the two baby blue / grey wires? when I fixed mine I mismatched them and lost the main straight back camera. I ended up with hitch view and two wide angles. It is EASY to tell the difference when you have all 3

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is the three views that I am getting right now.

It seems odd that the wide angle and the standard view the bins don't seem to change position.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here is the three views that I am getting right now.

It seems odd that the wide angle and the standard view the bins don't seem to change position.

View attachment 410785 View attachment 410786 View attachment 410787
The bottom one looks wider than the second one but not by much - I am afraid you may have done exactly what I did. It was a royal pita to undo everything and redo the gray/blue wires but as soon as I did I got my "main" camera view back. Maybe I can post pix of the difference or someone already has them here?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The bottom one looks wider than the second one but not by much - I am afraid you may have done exactly what I did. It was a royal pita to undo everything and redo the gray/blue wires but as soon as I did I got my "main" camera view back. Maybe I can post pix of the difference or someone already has them here?

I'll give it a try this weekend as I need to repair the composite cover and also ordered the lock for the tailgate while its all apart.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Looks right to me. It's clearly 3 different views. The bins are so close to the center of the image they shouldn't change much going to a wide view. It's the outside of the view that changes a lot on the wide angle. You can clearly see a lot more of the house on the wide view.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah could be correct as you can see the bumper bending in the wide view
I just took two pix from mine
Regular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,328 Posts
Add me to the list just had the 2nd harness go at 39 months old and 38800 miles. Was replaced in January of 2020 with app 30000 miles. Taking it back to the dealer and of corse there saying it’s out of warranty and it will be out of pocket. My suggestion is if you can afford to pay Honda to fix that at some point there’s going to have to be an extended service campaign and if you payed for it to be repaired you will be reimbursed . If you do the repair on your own then nada and fully expect them to blame the repair for the failure and not cover it or reimburse you.

I have also submitted a report to the NHTSA including photos as it’s a safety issue since backup cameras are now required.

What happened to the Honda of old I had an 1983 Prelude that ran forever and the only issue that had was the Radio went out. My wife’s 2017 CRV 167k only had to do shocks, lower control arm, AC recall, and 3rd gear solenoid. Each one of these repairs only needed to be done once!

2017 Ridgeline
1st window failure day two
2nd window failure app three months later
Tailgate position switch failure at about a year
3rd window failure at year two
Backup camera goes out the first time
Window failure number 4
Transmission torque converter jutter
Then backup camera failure number two.

View attachment 410635
That's certainly not a good track record for Honda, especially 3 window failures. Are you talking about the switches or the window regulator?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,328 Posts
OT: Since you @kc2hje, took a picture (3rd photo from the top) of the rectangular trim piece by the bumper - why is that piece always sitting crooked on most Ridgelines?

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's certainly not a good track record for Honda, especially 3 window failures. Are you talking about the switches or the window regulator?
window regulator, lost my drivers side window twice fully in the door.
The first time it fully stuck, and the last time it got super loose but did not drop in.

As to the camera I swapped the gray wires but the camera would not even show up on the radio diagnostics list. Re soldering them did seem to help the top down view change over quicker.

chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
OT: Since you @kc2hje, took a picture (3rd photo from the top) of the rectangular trim piece by the bumper - why is that piece always sitting crooked on most Ridgelines?
That part is only held on two sides and has a tendency to move, I wish there was a better way to cover that part or have better support to it.

Chris

281 - 300 of 319 Posts