Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to update my earlier post, primarily because no one else seems to have had the same skewed camera symptoms as I did. Here are two shots showing what my back-up camera was showing:

5ED6090F-7CFB-43C6-9296-7A4219572C66_1_201_a.jpeg
6E7067C0-CB58-467E-B033-E2B3C4A7DD4F_1_201_a.jpeg

The first shows my gravel driveway, about what I would normally see if the tailgate was down. Choosing the middle view gave me a better view behind me, but with the yellow lines very skewed. All but one of the wires completely severed when I removed the harness, so I can't be sure what combination of cut/damaged wires caused this particular symptom, but splicing them back together solved the problem and the camera view is back to normal.

A big thank you to @joal81 for his terrific instructions. I found them very helpful and the job was relatively painless. And, thanks for the Tesa tape recommendation. I will be using that tape again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was cleaning up my 2019 and took a close look at the tailgate wiring harness. Sure enough, the outer plastic jacket has separated and the insulation of the individual wires is cracking. I'm going to take it in to the dealer next week and show them. I hope I don't need to wait until the backup camera goes out until they replace it. The truck just turned 18K miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here’s the tabs that were damaged had to repair with plastic bond epoxy, And for the tab that the trim attaches to I sandwiched the tab on both sides with aluminum for a soda can on each side.

So far so good hopefully I never need to see it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Add me to the list of folks with the wire harness issue. I took the truck to a Honda dealer out here in PA and they were pretty good about it so far. I'm about 1,500 miles out of warranty but they waived the diagnostic fee and ordered a new harness. He is taking it up with the manager and thinks they'll be able to replace it for free. I referenced this thread showing that it is an ongoing issue and will possibly be recalled at some point. (No idea if that's really true.) I'm sure the new harness will only work for a year or two as well, but hopefully Honda does something by that point.

·
Registered
2018 Black Edition
1 Posts
Ugh...add me to the list. Bought my 2018 Black Edition 6 weeks ago from the dealer only to have the camera completely crap out. Same issue as everyone else here with the wires wearing out. Will be emailing the dealer and Honda Canada and referencing this thread. First time Honda owner...hoping for good things given the short amount of time the truck has been mine and the limited use.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Add 1 more to the list. Camera died. 2 wires completely severed, The other 4 had insulation damage and were going to fail soon. Cost $2 and about an hour of time to fix with some butt splice connectors. Readjusted the cable to put less stress on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last night my backup camera went out. Took a look at the wiring harness and see a cut wire. After lifting the tailgate, there is a lot of movement in that wiring harness and I can see eventually all of the wires being cut.

Since its just out of warranty, the dealer won't cover it and was just thinking about splicing it which should work but eventually with all of the movement with the harness just see it being an ongoing problem.

I'm interested if any other RL owners have had this problem and what solutions they may have to fix it.

I've attached a photo to show the issue.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 394270
I had the same thing happen to my 2019 RTL 41000 miles. The service manager said Honda would cover the repair up to 4200. The dealer did the repair no charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@joal81 thanks so much for your detailed post on how to fix the pinch point. That did the trick for me and now I've got my camera back! I also submitted a complaint to NHTSA so hopefully a recall is coming in the future, but in the meantime it's good to have it fixed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hmmm. My 2019 seems to have this issue, except the wires haven't crapped out yet, but the shielding is all gone and I can see bare wires now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was a little shocked to see the backup camera starting to intermittently work w the closure and opening of tailgate. I guess this is what could happen by having this kind of dual opening tailgate. Oh well took everything off and found this white wire had severed. Didn’t look like it was a perfect fit from the beginning. Lots of folds and bends w really thin wire. So I will tackle it now and post a finished picture.
A24986E5-6857-45A7-901C-951A736EFC32.jpeg

Hmmm. My 2019 seems to have this issue, except the wires haven't crapped out yet, but the shielding is all gone and I can see bare wires now.
Hey blaze I have a 19 also and the design is still poor just like the 17 and 18’s and the wires are so thin. I’m in the process now of repairing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I suspect the problem is mostly due to the end of the plastic loom being right at the bend near where it's taped to the plastic elbow. I've been keeping an eye on mine to see if that plastic loom starts to come loose there and rub any of the wires. So far it's been fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to go off at some point. At least the fix isn't too difficult if you're somewhat handy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you to the moderator for moving my post. I had earlier searched for this thread but nothing took me to it. It was only after that mine was posted did I see related searches under the post. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My backup cam occasionally doesn't work, and I noticed this today when I was waxing my truck.

Would this be covered under extended warranty? If not, what would be the easiest way to fix? There is some slack ziptied up in the wire, I assume I could remove a little slack, cut the wires, solder them back and heat shrink?

I'm driving my ridgeline on vacation next week about 2000 miles. If one of these wires goes, am I going to have any issues besides the camera not working or a tailgate open light on? Just worried about this being CAN bus and causing more than just a simple issue.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not sure what your particular warranty covers, but the repair is as simple as splicing the wires back together. Quite a few people have written up their experience with that. You should be able to find examples further up the thread if you need them.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is covered under the 3/36 warranty.

If you want to fix it yourself, see @MtMan's post #69 upstream in this thread. I'd use some self-solder seal butt joint connectors, such as these:

They are great for working in tight conditions.
Thanks. I have an extended 80k mile warranty. I went ahead and ordered those solder butt connectors, I used to use those whenever I did wiring on my boats, but I sold my last boat last year and bought a hot tub instead. LOL. Way nice way to relax.

The closest Honda Dealer is an hour away. Once you figure in gas and my time, it just makes no sense for me to take it in for this when I can fix it in half an hour with those butt connectors and a butane torch.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
Thanks. I have an extended 80k mile warranty. I went ahead and ordered those solder butt connectors, I used to use those whenever I did wiring on my boats, but I sold my last boat last year and bought a hot tub instead. LOL. Way nice way to relax.

The closest Honda Dealer is an hour away. Once you figure in gas and my time, it just makes no sense for me to take it in for this when I can fix it in half an hour with those butt connectors and a butane torch.
I understand. My closest dealer is just over an hour away, and I'm not sure I'd trust them anyway. Additionally, they'll probably just put it back to stock, whereas with @MtMan's mod in post #69, you'll likely get more life out of the harness.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I finally got around to taking my '19 Ridgeline in to show the dealer the harness twisting apart and cracks in the wire insulation allowing copper to be seen. The Service Writer told me I need to make an appointment so a Tech can look at it. I asked him if he did not see the broken wire insulation? He said a Tech needs to check it out, then order the new harness and I need to make another appointment to have it replaced.

301 - 319 of 319 Posts