Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
There was a problem with the wiring harness getting pinched at the drivers side of the tailgate and wires breaking.

I’m sure there is at least one thread about it here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's the thread

Had this happen to me - covered under warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 with 41,000 miles. Same issue with the broken tailgate wiring harness. My harness break looks like all the photos posted here. I bought a new wiring harness but it is the same as my current installed one; not a new revised one. Went to install it and using YouTube videos got the tailgate plastic panels removed. Looks pretty straight forward until where the harness wire disappears past the tailgate hinge. The final connection is in the last 10-12" of wire. It appears the connection is maybe under/in the bumper housing but I cannot find any video that shows how to get at this section of the truck. Anyone else replaced the tailgate wiring harness themselves? I am about 2 hours from the closest dealer but I may take the new harness to them and have them install it at my expense since I am out of warranty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a 2017 with 41,000 miles. Same issue with the broken tailgate wiring harness. My harness break looks like all the photos posted here. I bought a new wiring harness but it is the same as my current installed one; not a new revised one. Went to install it and using YouTube videos got the tailgate plastic panels removed. Looks pretty straight forward until where the harness wire disappears past the tailgate hinge. The final connection is in the last 10-12" of wire. It appears the connection is maybe under/in the bumper housing but I cannot find any video that shows how to get at this section of the truck. Anyone else replaced the tailgate wiring harness themselves? I am about 2 hours from the closest dealer but I may take the new harness to them and have them install it at my expense since I am out of warranty.
Remove the rear driver side fender liner. Wire connection follows that route to behind the cab.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remove the rear driver side fender liner. Wire connection follows that route to behind the cab.
Thanks 17sport, but not quite. The main wire back to the cab indeed runs behind the driver side fender/bed liner but the actual connection to the tailgate harness is still under/in the left side of the rear bumper. I could dismantle the bumper and housing and probably find the connection but at this point I am too frustrated to continue. Grrrrrr.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts