Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Once mine fails, I wonder if I would be able to upgrade the harness and camera to the 2020 model and install the part for a locking tailgate all at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update. That now makes four broken camera wiring harnesses reported here - two 2017's and two 2018's.

Unless Honda made a running change to address this issue on vehicles manufactured beginning May 2018, I can see a recall coming for "inspect and replace or modify camera harness" since backup cameras have been mandatory since that date.
I don't know if you are still counting, but I bought a 2017 Ridgeline Black edition last month, drove it 350 miles, hauled the Xmas tree, and my camera quit. Exact same spot as your picture shows.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
I don't know if you are still counting, but I bought a 2017 Ridgeline Black edition last month, drove it 350 miles, hauled the Xmas tree, and my camera quit. Exact same spot as your picture shows.
Thank for the feedback and welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @eric hunt! Sorry this happened. Have you had it fixed and, if so, was it covered under warranty or goodwill or did you have to pay out of pocket and, if so, how much?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank for the feedback and welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @eric hunt! Sorry this happened. Have you had it fixed and, if so, was it covered under warranty or goodwill or did you have to pay out of pocket and, if so, how much?
I just discovered the source of the problem this afternoon, thanks again to your pic. I called the dealer i bought the truck from yesterday, and again today. They aren't calling back. I am not sure if this is covered by the 60 day dealer warranty or not. Looks like an obvious design flaw so I will try Honda America next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like the rear wheel arch protector and rear bumper have to come off.

View attachment 396192
Looking at the rear wheel arch protector and bumper coming off, I almost wonder if a body and fender shop might have a better price if I have to pay out of pocket. Anyone have it repaired anywhere else than a Honda dealer?

Moderator's note: Thread title changed and relevant posts merged.

Apparently, Honda is aware of this issue and is investigating. On February 25, 2019, Honda sent the following message to dealers:

"Background
American Honda (AHM) is collecting a HEALTHY tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 Ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.

Qualifiers
AHM is interested ONLY if the vehicle meets the following requirements:
1. Tailgate harness (P/N 32109-T6Z-A00) has not been replaced.

Action Required
If you have or know of such a vehicle, please call Technical Research & Support (TRS) Group at [...]. TRS will need to record certain vehicle information and
provide you with further instructions."
Any way to find out if there is an updateded status on this investigation? Is there a data base of these Engineering Investigations?

Any way to find out if there is an updated status on this investigation? Is there a data base of these Engineering Investigations? I am guessing this was about 8 months ago?

It appears there are many requests, but I don't understand the system well enough to figure out if they are open or closed. They appear to have different TSB numbers and all different dates. Does anyone know why this would have been issued repeatedly? The dealer is stonewalling saying it wasn't a problem when I drove the truck off the lot. I apologize for cluttering up the site but didn't know how else to show the unique numbers and dates.
Honda
2017 Honda Ridgeline Tailgate Technical Service Bulletins

TSB Number:APAS08142019906NHTSA Number:10163930TSB Date:August 14, 2019Date Added to File:August 19, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
Discuss it at Forum View This TSB
TSB Number:APAS07302019NHTSA Number:10163409TSB Date:July 30, 2019Date Added to File:August 2, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS07082019NHTSA Number:10162895TSB Date:July 8, 2019Date Added to File:July 18, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS06192019904NHTSA Number:10161651TSB Date:June 19, 2019Date Added to File:June 25, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS05242019NHTSA Number:10160593TSB Date:May 24, 2019Date Added to File:May 31, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS05072019NHTSA Number:10159789TSB Date:May 7, 2019Date Added to File:May 14, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS04182019904NHTSA Number:10159037TSB Date:April 18, 2019Date Added to File:April 23, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS04022019903NHTSA Number:10158747TSB Date:April 2, 2019Date Added to File:April 21, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS03212019901NHTSA Number:10155367TSB Date:March 21, 2019Date Added to File:March 26, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:APAS02252019902NHTSA Number:10154159TSB Date:February 25, 2019Date Added to File:March 5, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Dealer message - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.
TSB Number:AER19020ANHTSA Number:10154180TSB Date:February 26, 2019Date Added to File:March 4, 2019Failing Component:Structure:Body:TailgateSummary:Engineering request for investigation - american honda (ahm) is collecting a healthy tailgate harness from certain 2017-2018 ridgelines which fits the criteria listed below.

re many requests, but I don't understand the system well enough to figure out if they are open or closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call Honda. Depending on how far it's out of warranty you are they may consider repairing it. That looks like a possible design failure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Any luck calling Honda? Dealer won't touch mine unless Honda America pays.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a follow-up to my post 7 months ago, the additional and more flexible loom (Painless Powerbraid) I installed over my compromised loom is still holding up fine. There has been no new signs of additional abrasion.

View attachment 398804
Nice work. Did you cut the previous zip ties and slide this over? Then reinstall new ties? Jut wondering about that process and how many inches of loom did you install?
Thanks for the picture!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice work. Did you cut the previous zip ties and slide this over? Then reinstall new ties? Jut wondering about that process and how many inches of loom did you install?
Thanks for the picture!
Check out post #69. There seems to be less stress to the harness when position as mine is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the picture!
Yes, I just cut the existing ties, slipped the new loom over the existing loom and then re-tied it. I didn't want to disturb the OEM loom. The Painless Powerbraid is very flexible. More flexible than the cheap plastic stuff.

And, I didn't actually measure the loom as I installed it (I have it in coils by the foot in various sizes from previous wiring harness replacements in street rods) but it was probably 6" or less.

Check out post #69. There seems to be less stress to the harness when position as mine is.
Yours certainly seems to be run smoother than the rest of ours. If It happens again to mine I'll look into re-routing. But, so far so good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, I just cut the existing ties, slipped the new loom over the existing loom and then re-tied it. I didn't want to disturb the OEM loom. The Painless Powerbraid is very flexible. More flexible than the cheap plastic stuff.

And, I didn't actually measure the loom as I installed it (I have it in coils by the foot in various sizes from previous wiring harness replacements in street rods) but it was probably 6" or less.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to take another look at mime tomorrow and see if I think I can pull this mod off! 😀

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this very same problem on on 14 month old RTL-E with 43k on it. The dealer wouldn’t look at it or consider replacing it under warranty unless I paid the $140 diagnostic fee. It was easier for me to buy the 2018 tailgate harness for $70 and replace it myself. I tried to buy the upgraded 2019 harness/part number from two different Honda sites, but they cancelled my order because they could not source the part.

I ordered the 2018 part and installed it. Start to finish it took under an hour to remove the rear bumper and tailgate cover, replace the harness and re-install everything.
I did reinforce the problem area with some 3M cold weather electrical tape. We’ll see how long this holds up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Well done, hope someone puts up a video of this. So this is simply disconnect old damaged harness and replace with new harness?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well done, hope someone puts up a video of this. So this is simply disconnect old damaged harness and replace with new harness?
Preowned Black Edition, 55000 miles the dealer stood behind the truck and sales manager authorized the replacement for me, but i had only driven 432 miles after purchase. Honda Engineering really needs to recognize this as a design weakness. Kudos for the self replacement. I just had cornea transplant surgery and couldn't see well enough to try it.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
Honda Engineering really needs to recognize this as a design weakness.
They may have considering they've revised the harness twice since 2018 - once for the 2019 and again for the 2020 to add wiring for the standard power tailgate lock.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Me too. I bought a 2017 RTL-E new in April 2017. My backup camera started intermittently failing, then went black this summer (2019) at around 22,000 miles. After three trips to the dealer (two trips to diagnose and once more after they got the part) they replaced the harness. Disappointing that they did not recognize the issue from these TSBs on the first visit. They replaced it under warranty, no problem. How can I tell if they used the better 2019 or 2020 redesigned harness mentioned here?

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
Me too. I bought a 2017 RTL-E new in April 2017. My backup camera started intermittently failing, then went black this summer (2019) at around 22,000 miles. After three trips to the dealer (two trips to diagnose and once more after they got the part) they replaced the harness. Disappointing that they did not recognize the issue from these TSBs on the first visit. They replaced it under warranty, no problem. How can I tell if they used the better 2019 or 2020 redesigned harness mentioned here?
A 2017 will still use the 2017 harness - not the 2019 or 2020 harness.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts