Registered
12 Posts
Just went through this thread and came up with the totals:
2017 - 39
2018 - 23
2019 - 13
2020 - 1
no year given - 22

I did count breakage of the wire loom whether or not the camera failed.

Best,
Bill
Add a 2018 to the count...

I didn't go through the entire thread, so maybe this is out there already. I have a 2018 that failed last week. 65K miles, Honda Certified used, but doesn't cover this. $600+ to fix. I politely brought up to the dealer that this seems to be an engineering problem that Honda needs to fix, as it is happening to a lot of RLs, and suggested they ask their technician about how many he has fixed with this same problem. I also asked if they would be re-routing the wiring differently so that it doesn't happen again in another 4 years. She followed up with the tech and her service manager, and she said the tech wouldn't be running the harness any differently, but that they would cover the cost this one time under a goodwill warranty, so I dodged the bullet.

But afterwards, I did find this (may have already been posted here), so sounds like maybe a recall might be in the works, else a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As noted earlier in this thread (post #392), the rear camera harness failure is being investigated by the NHTSA on 2017 and 2018 MY RLs. Every back up camera failure needs to be reported to the NHTSA. Especially those who have 2019+ MYs with harness failures. The website link to report the defect is shown below.
Also, in the process of filing an incident with the NHTSA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a call from honda about my hood latch recall, and I asked to get the tailgate harness fixed at the same time under warranty. I've been putting it off and I figured it was a good time to take care of it.

I was told its a 4.5+ hour job and they have to remove the entire bed to get to the harness where it comes out behind the rear window, and that it will be in the shop for at least 2 to 3 days.

They are covering it, though.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
I just got a call from honda about my hood latch recall, and I asked to get the tailgate harness fixed at the same time under warranty. I've been putting it off and I figured it was a good time to take care of it.

I was told its a 4.5+ hour job and they have to remove the entire bed to get to the harness where it comes out behind the rear window, and that it will be in the shop for at least 2 to 3 days.

Sounds like they confused it with the rear diff harness recall from the early 2017 models.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T
7 Posts
I just noticed my camera a few days ago on 2017 RTL-T. My screen is not black, but the views don't change. I haven't needed to change the camera view for so long. I noticed the backup camera has been submitted for review to NHTSA. Anyone else have this as part of their issue?

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T
7 Posts
Took me 6 weeks to get an appointment at the dealer. When I told the service rep my issue (tailgate cut my rear camera harness) she looked at me like I was crazy, and said "I don't see how that's possible." They wanted $160 just to look at it. I told her I already repaired it myself, I just wanted to see how they were addressing it, since they couldn't tell me that when I called to make the appointment. Her response was "well, if you already fixed it yourself, what do you want us to do?"

I explained it was a temporary fix to a larger issue with these model years, and I'd wait for the recall--then I drove home.

They also wanted $160 to pull the codes for my on-again, off-again "Emissions System Problem" warning that I've been dealing with for two years (it's never on when I'm at the dealer, and the code is never saved in the system), but that's a post for another thread.
Just saw this while checking on camera thread. I had my own run around with mine, but that emissions systems issue is a known problem with the injectors. End result for me, new injectors and new bank 1 catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a very common problem. There is a class action lawsuit, and the feds are investigating it as a safety issue.

Honda Ridgeline Backup Camera Failures Class Action (classactionsreporter.com)

Regulators Investigate Honda Ridgeline Backup Cam That Allegedly Breaks Just After Warranty Ends | Carscoops

2017-2020 broken tailgate harness causes backup camera failure | Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

The dealer just quoted me $500 for the repair. A repair that would just replace the wiring with the same crappy part that fails under normal use. Is Honda turning into Ford and GM?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Update to post #69. Cable still not showing any ware sense the Dec 2019 post. The loop is under the tail light assembly, seems to take the stress off the cable.

Todays picture:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
That's a bit ridiculous. There is a big thread on here somewhere that covers the issue.

Basically, if you have done some basic wiring or electrical work, you can handle it yourself. Otherwise, just remove the driver's side taillight to help expose the wiring harness, find an electrician in your neighborhood and they'll probably patch it up for you for under a Benjamin.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
My 2017 Ridgeline camera has stopped working. Can see bare copper wires in tailgate connection. Honda tells me iot will cost between 5 to 6 hundred to fix.

·
Premium Member
2020 RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
304 Posts
Updated totals, don't think I missed anyone but post if I did:

Just went through this thread and came up with the totals:
2017 - 40
2018 - 26
2019 - 13
2020 - 1
no year given - 23

I did count breakage of the wire loom whether or not the camera failed.

Best,
Bill
Add a 2018 to the count...

I didn't go through the entire thread, so maybe this is out there already. I have a 2018 that failed last week. 65K miles, Honda Certified used, but doesn't cover this. $600+ to fix. I politely brought up to the dealer that this seems to be an engineering problem that Honda needs to fix, as it is happening to a lot of RLs, and suggested they ask their technician about how many he has fixed with this same problem. I also asked if they would be re-routing the wiring differently so that it doesn't happen again in another 4 years. She followed up with the tech and her service manager, and she said the tech wouldn't be running the harness any differently, but that they would cover the cost this one time under a goodwill warranty, so I dodged the bullet.

But afterwards, I did find this (may have already been posted here), so sounds like maybe a recall might be in the works, else a class action lawsuit.

Add another 2018 to the count. Same issue with the wiring harness for the backup camera. Also, reported to NHTSA.
FWIW, my 2020 is showing no sign of wear at 22 months and 62,000 miles. It's a work truck and the bed gets used a lot but I mostly us the side-open function instead of dropping the tailgate. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
881 Posts
FWIW, my 2020 is showing no sign of wear at 22 months and 62,000 miles. It's a work truck and the bed gets used a lot but I mostly us the side-open function instead of dropping the tailgate. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Best,
Bill
I'm in the same boat. 2020 with 43K miles and 27 months of ownership. No visible wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please add my 2018 Ridgeline RTL to the list. I've updated NHTSA page with this issue. I'm waiting on the dealership to call but sounds like I should not be hopeful that they'll fix it at no expense other than driving the 100 miles and gas.

481 - 500 of 504 Posts