Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
541 - 560 of 597 Posts

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
Additional details are now available on NHTSA's website in the Part 573 Safety Recall Report.

• 7% (8,221) of 117,445 2017-2019 Ridgelines are estimated to have the defect.
  • Description of the Cause: The RVC wire harness was manufactured with a protective corrugated tubing and harness guide to help protect the wiring from stress when the tailgate was opened and closed; a zip tie was used to keep the corrugated tubing and guide in the proper position. With some RVC wire harnesses, the length of corrugated tubing inserted into the harness guide (i.e., the overlap between the corrugated tubing and the harness guide) was insufficient to provide optimal protection and the zip tie was insufficiently tightened to keep the tubing and guide in the proper position.
  • How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component: Recalled components may contain an insufficiently tightened zip tie and corrugated tubing that is not inserted sufficiently far into the harness guide.

· Registered
3,711 Posts
Unless the tubing was short I don't know how they can tell if it wasn't inserted properly or zip tied correctly without an inspection of EVERY 2017-2019. Any experts have an idea of how they narrow this down to 7k units?

· Administrator
24,879 Posts

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I got notice of the recall via the Hondalink app today that mine is included. As mentioned previously, it says only bring it in if it has failed due to parts shortage.

· Registered
3,566 Posts
So, an owner must wait until the camera has actually failed before the harness will be replaced, is that how I read this? What has been done to make the replacement harness “better?”
Bill
I just returned from having the oil changed and made no mention to the recall but this note is on the bill:
Concern: Campaign Recall 22-049-6RW00, Tailgate Harness Safety Recall
Correction: Inspected camera working as designed. No further action necessary.

So, is that all there is?

Bill

· Registered
3,711 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I just returned from having the oil changed and made no mention to the recall but this note is on the bill:

Bill
Seems to be the case for about 7k harnesses. Assembly error, not defective parts.

· Administrator
24,879 Posts

Bill
That should have read, "No further action necessary at this time". If they found that your camera wasn't working due to a harness failure, they would have ordered another harness and replaced it and closed the recall. You'll eventually get a new harness when parts availability improves. Harness replacement is the only way to close the recall per Honda.

· Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
1,172 Posts
My 2019 was built in August of 2019. My guess it won’t be recalled.

· Premium Member
69 Posts
Mine went in wednesday for the harness recall as mine failed. apparently the wire harness is VIN specific so they have to order them individually. Hoping to have it in Monday.

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
The harnesses aren't VIN-specific. The issue is that supply is very limited so dealers will only order a harness for vehicles with harnesses that have already failed causing the rear view camera to not operate. If your camera is still operating, you'll be sent on your way for now. Honda has to replace 117,445 harnesses. It'll take months for the supplier to make enough harnesses to replace all of those.

· Registered
12 Posts
Additional details are now available on NHTSA's website in the Part 573 Safety Recall Report.

• Description of the Cause: The RVC wire harness was manufactured with a protective corrugated tubing and harness guide to help protect the wiring from stress when the tailgate was opened and closed; a zip tie was used to keep the corrugated tubing and guide in the proper position. With some RVC wire harnesses, the length of corrugated tubing inserted into the harness guide (i.e., the overlap between the corrugated tubing and the harness guide) was insufficient to provide optimal protection and the zip tie was insufficiently tightened to keep the tubing and guide in the proper position.
  • How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component: Recalled components may contain an insufficiently tightened zip tie and corrugated tubing that is not inserted sufficiently far into the harness guide.
My 2020 has the same issue. I can pinch wires with needle nose pliers and it works until I close tailgate once or twice. Someone was nice enough to advise me to File with NTSB, Call Honda Corporate and get Regional Rep info from dealer to contact.
When I went in and spoke with my dealer a few weeks ago said I must pay $170 per hour to diagnose and not covered under warranty. Unit will be 36 months olf 1/1/23 but I have 39,000 miles on it.

· Premium Member
69 Posts
Mine was just completed on the 8th after being at the dealer for about 10 days. They stated there was only about 2 in the country. Doesn’t look much different than the original but I did not look at it closely.

· Registered
12 Posts

I spoke with Honda main office today regarding my 2020 back -up camera and was told no recall on 2020 and later years. My wires are fully exposed without any tubing around it. I can jiggle wires and it works for a few days if I do not open tailgate or hit too many bumps. Does anyone know what it would cost me to have it fixed? I am wondering if I should attempt fixing it.

541 - 560 of 597 Posts