Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not a happy owner of Honda Ridgeline... Plain and simple rather than explain and highlight
all the crap, Brakes, Transmission, Radio, Injectors, Honda Dealers...I have 3 separate inspections, all tell me, my tranny is, on its way to a hell & melt down.
Plus 2 told me "NOT TO SERVICE " the fluid, it would make it worse.

Save yourself time and money, for sure I read that 2017/18 are "tagged and bagged" stay away from these vehicles.

But for my money I would move away from the brand.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2018 has been very good. Whoever told you that servicing the transmission would make it worse was incorrect. Some have problems, some don't. All need maintenance at a higher level than Honda recommends - especially if you insist on the Honda fluids.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2018 has been very good. Whoever told you that servicing the transmission would make it worse was incorrect. Some have problems, some don't. All need maintenance at a higher level than Honda recommends - especially if you insist on the Honda fluids.
No they told him correctly. If you haven't serviced the tranny on a older vehicle or don't know the history rule of thumb you leave it as is. If you service it and put in fresh oil that could make things worse. Happened to me on my 2006 Tundra. Bought it used with 100k miles. Heard both sides that it should be fine and just leave it. I serviced the tranny then a few weeks later ran into issues.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,776 Posts
No they told him correctly. If you haven't serviced the tranny on a older vehicle or don't know the history rule of thumb you leave it as is. If you service it and put in fresh oil that could make things worse. Happened to me on my 2006 Tundra. Bought it used with 100k miles. Heard both sides that it should be fine and just leave it. I serviced the tranny then a few weeks later ran into issues.
Uhhh, 38.5k and 100k are significantly different, he’s a whole 8.5k over due, 6.5k early, but whatever dealership is saying not to service the transmission is idiots. Honda 6spd, closely related to the Honda 5spd loves fresh fluids. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
2,831 Posts
There's no way I'll ever go 30k on a trans fluid change again. Even with the Amsoil it's not worth the risk. Something is going on with Ridgeline and Pilot trannys with DW-1 in use. It's nuts how it worked ok for 30k but the fluid was shot via the tests. Then at 46k it was not great. I'm hoping at 56k it'll be better with Amsoil on the test with Viscosity in a decent spot.

But gotta drive it to test it ! lol Haven't been lately due to summer vacation season here. (I fill in for others vaca's)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
OK, now I'm confused--I recently bought a 2018 RTL-E with approx 45K miles on it. Should I--or should I not--have the transmission fluid changed? If yes, is there a majority consensus on this forum as to the brand of transmission fluid I insist be used?
It's my recommendation that you read your owner's manual and follow the maintenance minder. If you don't know your vehicle's maintenance history and maintenance history is not available to you then I would change all the fluids, including the brake fluid. Don't overthink this.

·
Premium Member
2017 RTL-E
1,654 Posts
Well, not a happy owner of Honda Ridgeline... Plain and simple rather than explain and highlight
all the crap, Brakes, Transmission, Radio, Injectors, Honda Dealers...I have 3 separate inspections, all tell me, my tranny is, on its way to a hell & melt down.
Plus 2 told me "NOT TO SERVICE " the fluid, it would make it worse.

Save yourself time and money, for sure I read that 2017/18 are "tagged and bagged" stay away from these vehicles.

But for my money I would move away from the brand.
I just bought a 2017 RTL-T with 55,000 miles on it. It has the shudder problem, just like my 2006 RTL had. It is otherwise like new. My mechanic (not at the dealer) fixed the 2006 Ridgeline by flushing the transmission and using (GM?) ”Shudderfix” or something similar. It is an additive that dissolves the buildup of contamination on the clutch plates. In my case, it took two treatments to completely solve the problem, but it worked. That was ten years ago. My daughter still drives the 2006 Ridgeline without any issues. My 2017 is going to the dealer in two weeks for the Honda recommended service and flush. They are also going to do a test to see if the injectors need to be replaced per their own TSB. There is a TSB that extended the warranty to 8 years / 80,000 miles on the transmission. The TSB Numbers are 17-025 and 17-026. There is also a TSB for a software upgrade. I read about it here on the ROC In “2G Problems, Fixes & TSB’s”: “2017 Transmission Slipping”. It sounds like you need to find a good dealer that is willing to dig into the issue for you by researching your VIV# and applicable TSBs, then going to bat with Honda to fix the problem. i am afraid that we are in the same boat with countless others.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,647 Posts
If I had all the problems with a vehicle that @RTS has had, I would be complaining loud and often also. The 2017-2018 Ridgeline has way too many major problems for a Honda vehicle.

Reactions: WB77 and Carsmak

·
Administrator
23,801 Posts
There is a TSB that extended the warranty to 8 years / 80,000 miles on the transmission. The TSB Numbers are 17-025 and 17-026. There is also a TSB for a software upgrade.
Those TSB's extend the warranty for a software update or fluid flush to address a specific, verifiable judder condition - not for anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts