Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the exception of my 1987 Plymouth Reliant K which had sliding levers and push buttons, every vehicle and truck I've owned for that matter has big round knobs. One for Radio Volume, one for fan speed, one for temp, and sometimes, one for fan mode. The knob is great, especially in upstate NY where you often wear big bulky gloves 3 months a year. You can make quick adjustments, without taking your eyes off the road.

Where the heck are the knobs in the 2017 ridgeline? My 2008 Ridge has big knobs, and they work quite well. The 2017 Ridgeline interior on the Honda website looks like a clone of the 2016 Pilot, with the exception of the gear selector. Tiny little touch screen buttons for volume? One tiny mode button to cycle through all the fan settings? A toggle switch for the temp (ok this I think i could live with)? A tiny button for the fan speed? I certainly hope the base model trim in the 2017 has knobs, but I have feeling I wont be that lucky.

Has Honda not learned anything from what a weekend warrior, semi-sophisticated, middle-aged man wants in a truck? It's called knobs.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
It is a cost-cutting move. You'd think knobs would be cheaper, but overall, when you figure installation, upgrades, systems integrations, etc., it is much easier to run a few wires and do a software interface with all of the buttons and sensors, as well as easy customizing for different levels of option packages. The upsell is that you get the latest greatest tech and user-interface, nevermind if it loses some practicality.

The clueless masses will love it. The practical minority will despise it. In the end, it's driven by profit margins.

All we can hope for is that the 19 buttons on the steering wheel are extremely intuitive to use, in the interest of safety. Better get a heated wheel!

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the exception of my 1987 Plymouth Reliant K which had sliding levers and push buttons, every vehicle and truck I've owned for that matter has big round knobs. One for Radio Volume, one for fan speed, one for temp, and sometimes, one for fan mode. The knob is great, especially in upstate NY where you often wear big bulky gloves 3 months a year. You can make quick adjustments, without taking your eyes off the road.

Where the heck are the knobs in the 2017 ridgeline? My 2008 Ridge has big knobs, and they work quite well. The 2017 Ridgeline interior on the Honda website looks like a clone of the 2016 Pilot, with the exception of the gear selector. Tiny little touch screen buttons for volume? One tiny mode button to cycle through all the fan settings? A toggle switch for the temp (ok this I think i could live with)? A tiny button for the fan speed? I certainly hope the base model trim in the 2017 has knobs, but I have feeling I wont be that lucky.

Has Honda not learned anything from what a weekend warrior, semi-sophisticated, middle-aged man wants in a truck? It's called knobs.
States and localities everywhere are correctly passing laws to prevent people from talking on cell phones while driving. In the mean time, Honda expects me to play with an interactive info-tainment system while driving. Come on Honda, I will pay the extra money - I want knobs and buttons!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Personally, I could do without the headlight knob, or at least it's placement.

If I hit the funny bone on my knee on it one more time when getting out of the truck I'm gonna rip it out and not drive at night any more.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I despise controls that require me to look at them. I want knobs and levers with tactile feedback. For any Honda engineer that might read this, tactile feedback means clicking and slight resistance that indicates that something has happened when the knob or lever has been moved.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I despise controls that require me to look at them. I want knobs and levers with tactile feedback. For any Honda engineer that might read this, tactile feedback means clicking and slight resistance that indicates that something has happened when the knob or lever has been moved.
Tactile feedback is a big thing. My sister has a 2010 Corolla, and the volume knob has no feedback. It just has a small resistance to turning. Every other knob I've used has little clicks for each level.

Volume knobs aren't a huge deal if you have steering wheel controls though. I think I may have used the knob in my current car twice in 4 years.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:

Volume knobs aren't a huge deal if you have steering wheel controls though. I think I may have used the knob in my current car twice in 4 years.
And there you have it ... buttons, knobs, etc are moving from the dashboard to the steering wheel.

I believe Honda has 14 steering wheel buttons on their top trim 2016 Accords and Pilots performing 19 functions. That's 2 more buttons and functions than my 2014 Accord Touring. Soon, there will be 20 - 30 buttons performing 50 functions on your steering wheel, and the dash will be all menu-driven touch screens (no buttons or knobs).

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I don't get the knobs and every truck person needs them that wears gloves.
Ridgeline is not a traditional work truck. I guess I am clueless person. What about the daily commuter that drives the Ridgeline to work or travel. When you go from vehicle to vehicle you want things in pretty much same place. So if you got in an MDX or Pilot or Accord things would be almost same as a new Ridgeline. My 2000 3.2 Acura TL has radio volume and tuning knobs they are about the only knobs in the car. It has steering wheel buttons for volume audio ect. push button everything else like climate control with automatic function.
The other trucks sell more vehicles and can use similar parts like knobs.
Ridgeline is the only vehicle Honda makes that we call a pickup truck.
It is wise to use same parts like their other vehicles as cost savings thing.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
I don't get the knobs and every truck person needs them that wears gloves.
Ridgeline is not a traditional work truck. I guess I am clueless person. What about the daily commuter that drives the Ridgeline to work or travel. When you go from vehicle to vehicle you want things in pretty much same place. So if you got in an MDX or Pilot or Accord things would be almost same as a new Ridgeline. My 2000 3.2 Acura TL has radio volume and tuning knobs they are about the only knobs in the car. It has steering wheel buttons for volume audio ect. push button everything else like climate control with automatic function.
The other trucks sell more vehicles and can use similar parts like knobs.
Ridgeline is the only vehicle Honda makes that we call a pickup truck.
It is wise to use same parts like their other vehicles as cost savings thing.

Its not wise if the truck doesn't sell well. . . .Accord / Odyssey folks who are thinking about moving into the Ridge will be right at home. Traditional truck owners will see the interior as being too car like.
Coming from a GenI Ridge interior aesthetic the GenII's interior is shockingly soft.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the relevant controls on the steering wheel. The only thing that caught me out was the on/off button at the top of the screen.

With a heated steering wheel and heated seat there is no need for gloves while driving. :eek:

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
519 Posts
Pontiac - almost 30 years ago. No knobs - only buttons for HVAC and audio.
Can I have that 87 6000 STE please!? haha. Funny how 30 years ago, Pontiac was able to design large, uniform shaped, easy to read buttons and place them on a steering wheel...but in 2016, we're scattering tiny buttons everywhere across the steering wheel and dash. I agree, bring back the simple roto-dials and limit the tiny buttons on the wheel.

Today's Honda engineers too young to remember their 1980's "We Make It Simple", slogan?

·
Administrator
16,064 Posts
Can I have that 87 6000 STE please!? haha. Funny how 30 years ago, Pontiac was able to design large, uniform shaped, easy to read buttons and place them on a steering wheel...but in 2016, we're scattering tiny buttons everywhere across the steering wheel and dash. I agree, bring back the simple roto-dials and limit the tiny buttons on the wheel.

Today's Honda engineers too young to remember their 1980's "We Make It Simple", slogan?
Those large, uniform buttons had to shrink and move when airbags came about. Otherwise, your forehead would turn into a keyboard during a collision. ;)

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I had posted this somewhere else, but gloves that work on touchscreens are available. Maybe someday all gloves will have this feature?

Smartphones have capacitive touch screens that detect where your fingers are through the distortion caused by your conductive hand on the screen's electrostatic field (measured by a difference in capacitance).

Gloves are insulators and hence any interference on the screen will be muffled, and will probably be below the threshold of detection.

Gloves with smartphone sensitive fabric often have thin strands of metal (a conductor) sewn into them which allow your fingers to interfere with the screen's electrostatic field and record your touch.

Making A Glove Work With A Touch Screen

Amazon.com: phone touch gloves

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had posted this somewhere else, but gloves that work on touchscreens are available. Maybe someday all gloves will have this feature?

Amazon.com: phone touch gloves

While states and localities are passing laws making it illegal to text or talk on a cell phone while driving, Honda wants me to try and play with their infotainment center while driving. The people at Honda making these decisions do not have a clue. These are probably the same people who want to convince me to buy their product because they put speakers in the bed. Absolutely no common sense!

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
While states and localities are passing laws making it illegal to text or talk on a cell phone while driving, Honda wants me to try and play with their infotainment center while driving. The people at Honda making these decisions do not have a clue. These are probably the same people who want to convince me to buy their product because they put speakers in the bed. Absolutely no common sense!
I hear you, but most features can be adjusted from the steering wheel when driving. Using the screen for updating nav addresses etc, should really only be done when parked or stopped. Some systems are voice controlled too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in the same boat.
Between the lack of the volume knob and limitations of the Android Auto I will probably opt for RTS with conventional smaller screen audio.

A few things ticking me off in Android Auto: highly limited support for apps, no Waze and buggy/limited support for music playing. Also the need to connect USB cable is not appealing.

I am used to my phone holder with wireless charger, 6'' screen on my phone is good enough, and Bluetooth phone/audio works well... No Android Auto nannies :)

VB

·
Registered
35 Posts
I believe HondaFanboy Jason did a demonstration in a TFLTruck YouTube article where he used his finger in his hat to demonstrate that the 8" screen can be operated with a glove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 116 Posts