Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's crazy, a dirt road was that harsh on the shocks.

Agreed - I think the fact they didn't air down at all into halfway into the 26 miles played a part but there is no way the Tacoma and Titan shocks should have blown up than soon.

As explained, the much lower unsprung weight of the G2s indy suspension vs the solid rear axles on the others played a part...I'm going to post the follow up on the Ridgeline that Edmunds put on their Long Term G2 update...

Reactions: cgc

·
Administrator
20,683 Posts
Well, there's another feather in the Ridgeline's cap.

As far as weight - the heaviest Tacoma and Ridgeline both weight about 4,500 lbs. The weight distribution of the Ridgeline is 58/42. I can't find that spec for the Tacoma, but I suspect it's similar if the Ridgeline doesn't have a bit more weight over the rear axle than the Tacoma.

·
Registered
302 Posts

As far as weight - the heaviest Tacoma and Ridgeline both weight about 4,500 lbs. The weight distribution of the Ridgeline is 58/42. I can't find that spec for the Tacoma, but I suspect it's similar if the Ridgeline doesn't have a bit more weight over the rear axle than the Tacoma.
I'd assume the taco has very little weight over the rear end.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts

Saw your post on TW you're such instigator HAHA! I heard rumors that it was bad on that forum but I had no idea they were that sensitive.

·
Administrator
20,683 Posts
Saw your post on TW you're such instigator HAHA! I heard rumors that it was bad on that forum but I had no idea they were that sensitive.
I actually joined Tacoma World a few months ago to somewhat defend the Tacoma following Consumer Reports' rating it the lowest compact pickup and to share my brother's experience with the one he bought. Surprisingly, I survived that post relatively unscathed and even managed to gain a few "likes" and comments of support from the Tacoma community. On the other hand, it incited a riot between others. I quietly stepped out and let them self-destruct.

Member behavior aside, what really gets under my skin is that Tacoma World's moderators seem to encourage misbehavior and use language that isn't suitable for broadcast media - as evidenced in the thread about Edmunds' experience.

I've said this before some time ago, but the Ridgeline Owner's Club is a far more level-headed, productive, helpful, and entertaining place to be than most other forums that are filled with hate and childish behavior. The CivicX forum is pretty good, too, provided you stay in the Civic or Civic Si subforums - the Type R subforum gets pretty messy and I can't help but think those attitudes come with the territory of owning Honda's hottest, currently-overpriced hatch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Evidence please? How and when did Honda know the parameters of the test or is this "fake news"?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I wasn't saying it as a negative.

Question did you watch the video and previous video? (Maybe I might need to rewatch...) In this one the Edmunds reviewer stated that when their Gen1 Ridgeline blew it's shocks out on the same trail. When the same reviewer was at the Gen2 launch event many years later he mentioned that their Gen1 had this issue and the Honda Engineering person stated yeah we heard about that and worked around it.

That's my personal perspective

If that was correct I say good on Honda!!!

Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wasn't saying it as a negative.

Question did you watch the video and previous video? (Maybe I might need to rewatch...) In this one the Edmunds reviewer stated that when their Gen1 Ridgeline blew it's shocks out on the same trail. When the same reviewer was at the Gen2 launch event many years later he mentioned that their Gen1 had this issue and the Honda Engineering person stated yeah we heard about that and worked around it.

That's my personal perspective

If that was correct I say good on Honda!!!

Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

That is correct. Honda engineered the new truck to have tough enough shocks to withstand this sort of thing.

The other poster thought that you were claiming Honda supplied a "steroided" Ridgeline just for this one test, I think. That obviously is not the case, that is a stock Ridgeline.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is correct. Honda engineered the new truck to have tough enough shocks to withstand this sort of thing.

The other poster thought that you were claiming Honda supplied a "steroided" Ridgeline just for this one test, I think. That obviously is not the case, that is a stock Ridgeline.
Oh no not at all.

Edmund's bought this Ridgeline. And yeah bone stock!

Im shocked that a modern company actually cared enough to focus on a very fringe issue like this. Kudos to Honda!

Again sorry

·
Registered
126 Posts
The tacomaworld forum was instrumental in my choosing a Ridgeline. Both the number of problems that owners were reporting and the way they were treated by other forum members.

The current thread is a perfect example. Someone reports a deficiency in the truck. There are now 12 pages of replies. Half are attacking the messenger, and the other half are memes and motion gifs that have nothing to do with the discussion. And yes, some are from the mods. They do encourage that stuff.

ROC is a great place in comparison!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I bet that Nissan and Toyota's engineers and PR guys are scrambling right now.
I agree...It's all fun 'n' games over here at ROC but a video like this, that will be viewed by a lot of truck people can cause some REAL damage...Yes, your Taco fan boys will cry in their Monster Energy drinks and make excuses...On the Titan side, the same people not buying Titans will continue to not buy them...

I bet when the GM, RAM and Ford marketing teams get to this video, they might be wise to get their off road versions out there to Death Valley and give the road a run (and hope for the best)...If the shocks hold up, post a video (kind of like the tool box drop commercials with Ford vs GM got out of hand)...

When push comes to shove, sometimes the Edmunds crew are real knuckleheads and running at the speeds they were running without airing down at all played a part in all 3 trucks having slight to BIG trouble...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts