Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
...I tired snow/stuck vehicle and sand modes to get out but neither worked. That's when my friends chimed in that the rear tires were not spinning. I still can't figure out why that was. We ended up calling a buddy and he pulled the truck about a foot with his impreza and the rear tires on my truck started spinning and I backed right out. It was a wildly disappointing experience. I wish vtm-4 lock was still a thing because I don't think I would have gotten stuck had I been able lock the truck into awd...
In the San Antonio press event video for the new RL, they drive the truck over a large mound of dirt that suspends the right rear tire above the ground. Sensors detect no traction and cut power so that the wheel does not spin. I'm wondering if your snow drift lifted the rear wheels enough to cause the sensors to detect no traction at those wheels and thus no power was delivered there. Also, I do believe that Sand (not Snow) mode on the i-VTM4 is supposed to lock power to the rear wheels...but maybe not if the system has overheated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I agree. I assume the cooler wasn't getting enough air.

In the San Antonio press event video for the new RL, they drive the truck over a large mound of dirt that suspends the right rear tire above the ground. Sensors detect no traction and cut power so that the wheel does not spin. I'm wondering if your snow drift lifted the rear wheels enough to cause the sensors to detect no traction at those wheels and thus no power was delivered there. Also, I do believe that Sand (not Snow) mode on the i-VTM4 is supposed to lock power to the rear wheels...but maybe not if the system has overheated.
The front of the truck was definitely beached but the rear wheels were still on the ground.

I did a little experiment in my driveway after it had snowed a few inches. My driveway is a bit of a hill too.
In reverse if I punched the gas the front wheels spun and the front of the truck walked to the left (the driveway slants that way). If I roll on to the throttle and then punch the truck seemed to back straight up and accelerate. I stay this while knowing that throttle into drastically changes traction on any slick surface.

No satisfied with the first experiment I when of to access road near my house to you awd in get up dry (it's gravel). I started up the hill pretty slow in "normal" mode and then I got stuck. Thankfully I did not slide back into the road. So I changed it to "snow" because there was some and turned on the stuck vehicle setting. I easier into the gas and it started spinning but I kept it constant around 2500rpm and the truck dig in and climb the rest of the hill no drama.

I feel like these modern Awd systems need very constant inputs to figure out what to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Ridgeline transmission has overheated twice now. Both times, I was backing my camper uphill. Pulls the trailer just fine. Honda should have installed a transmission temp gauge rather than the light.

·
Administrator
18,284 Posts
My Ridgeline transmission has overheated twice now. Both times, I was backing my camper uphill. Pulls the trailer just fine. Honda should have installed a transmission temp gauge rather than the light.
...or you could avoid backing a trailer uphill in reverse!

1st gear ratio is 3.359. 2nd gear ratio is 2.095. Reverse gear ratio is 2.269. Taking off in 2nd gear with an empty truck is hard enough on the transmission. Imagine how hard it is trying to push thousands of pounds uphill in reverse! That's beyond reasonable expectation for just about any vehicle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Without a low speed gearbox the trans fluid has to absorb all the heat from any slippage.

In a no air flow or low air flow situation there is only going to be limited amount it can absorb.

The "heavy duty" trans cooler is a tiny 3 row affair just in front of the radiator.

I suspect a larger unit would give guys an the edge some of the temp buffer they need.

Ive been looking at Derale and other units myself not because of any problem Ive had but because my towing temps to be near max and the temps I tow in quite severe and a few degrees relief cannot hurt.

UD

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Was there a warning light that came up to let you know it had overheated?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts