Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
I'd like the RTL-E but at 42 it's kinda.... eh. I really have no desire for the in bed audio, wonder if I could take that out of the package for $$ off. Might just stick with the RTL-T, not sure if the extra features are worth it to me on the E model.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like the RTL-E but at 42 it's kinda.... eh. I really have no desire for the in bed audio, wonder if I could take that out of the package for $$ off. Might just stick with the RTL-T, not sure if the extra features are worth it to me on the E model.
Kind of the same thought. I don't want all the electronic nannies nor the in bed audio. Just want LED lights, heated steering wheel, and hi powered audio. Probably go with RTL-T AWD. if that link is correct $38.8k whereas the RTL-E is $42.2k. Not paying $3400 extra for just the few things I want.

Going by the Pilot, looks to be about $3.2k difference from invoice to MSRP. So guesstimating invoice on the RTL-T should be around $35.6k.
I can live with that. Will take until December for me to get that low of pricing though, maybe even Q1 or Q2 of next year. Have to wait for all new model hype/demand to wane.

· Registered
9,975 Posts
Too many variants for a low volume vehicle. Really don't understand why the FWD base with the AWD option other than to tweak a mile or 2 added to the MPG claims. Not being up to date on all that is happening will someone please tell me what the "T" indicates?

Answered my own question, "T" is Navi and other toys.

The 2017 Ridgeline will go on sale this June. The RT, RTS, Sport, RTL, and RTL-T trim levels are offered with either front- or all-wheel drive (an $1800 upcharge), while the RTL-E and Black Edition are strictly all-wheel drive. For $27,375, the entry-level RT includes a rearview camera, keyless start, a tilting and telescoping steering column, and a seven-speaker stereo with Bluetooth, auxiliary device, and USB connectivity. At $32,415, the RTS adds keyless entry, remote start, and tri-zone climate controls. The $33,915 Sport nets black exterior trim, red footwell lighting, and gray-painted wheels.

Luxury starts creeping in with the $34,680 RTL, which gets leather seats (heated in front), with 10-way power adjustability for the driver and four-way for the passenger. An acoustic windshield cuts interior noise to let occupants hear those little motors work.

Tech begins to arrive at $36,830 in the RTL-T. That one includes an 8.0-inch touchscreen navigation/infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, satellite radio, a second USB input for the front and two USB charging ports for rear-seat passengers, and Honda’s LaneWatch blind-spot camera system. But the full complement of safety tech doesn’t come into play until the $42,270 RTL-E. Here, the Honda Sensing system includes adaptive cruise control, lane-departure prevention, blind-spot monitors, and automated emergency braking. Additionally, you get blue ambient lighting, a heated steering wheel, a sunroof, a power-sliding rear window, and truck-bed audio, plus eight traditional speakers and the 400-watt in-bed power inverter. Like the RTL-E, the $43,770 Black Edition is fully loaded. But it’s as sinister as a Ridgeline can look (until accessory lift kits become available), with black paint, exterior trim, and wheels as well as a black headliner and red ambient lighting.

No matter how it’s outfitted, the Ridgeline is a no-brainer of a truck: unmatched in smoothness and comfort, and full of innovation well beyond its unibody construction. It deserved far more sales than it netted in its inaugural generation. Here’s hoping this one realizes its full potential.

· Registered
9,975 Posts
I just read no sun roof until you get to the RTL-E. That is a bummer if true. Way too many variants.

· Registered
9,975 Posts
Guess what, no sliding rear window either, until RTL-E. All other trim levels below have a fixed rear window.
I will never understand why a sliding rear window and satellite radio are reserved for the 40k+ trims. Items that can be had on other cars/trucks at half the msrp.
It would appear that a dealership would have to stock nearly a dozen variants to have all models available. For a low volume vehicle this is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: tbrigh01

· Administrator
24,829 Posts
If I were buying, it would be the RTL-E in White Diamond Pearl with Neutral Black. I can't see paying $1,500 more for absolutely nothing but color changes on the Black Edition. Honda didn't charge extra for the SE over the RTL NAV for 2014.

· Registered
9,975 Posts
If I were buying, it would be the RTL-E in White Diamond Pearl with Neutral Black. I can't see paying $1,500 more for absolutely nothing but color changes on the Black Edition. Honda didn't charge extra for the SE over the RTL NAV for 2014.
I think I will go with the RTL/AWD w/o sun roof and put a $100 Garmin on the dash.

· Registered
558 Posts
If you thought people were critical of the first generations looks, just wait till you're seen in this over-priced girly machine.
Sometimes buyers are bamboozled just cause its a "new model". Just imagine if the 1st and 2nd generation RL's were reversed, you would feel as though you were taking a step up in looks, not back..
I will look elsewhere when the times comes, and keep my nads intact...

· Registered
479 Posts
Overall a very nice range of features that should appeal to a wider audience than Gen 1. Gen 2 should be a great success for Honda. If they had provided a button to turn off VCM, I'd probably line up to buy one but it would be a real challenge deciding which trim. I would want the high end audio with the in-bed exciters and all the other goodies, but would NOT want all the Honda Sensing stuff. Getting the features I wanted might come at a heavy price in terms of extra gadgetry and irritation of having to constantly turn stuff off. Still though, it's a pretty impressive package of goodies on the high end trim - from other manufacturers that would be a $50,000+ truck. Leveraging the Pilot so heavily really paid off for Gen 2 buyers.

The press kit had a couple of things that caught my eye. I was surprised to see that the CD player is now a dealer-installed accessory. I wonder how much the dealers will try to squeeze out of Joe Public to install that little goody, and what opportunities for hamfisted component mangling the installation process will offer. Also on the Gen 2 Sirius XM - has anybody seen the actual implementation on the newer Hondas? Will it finally scroll the full song titles and such instead of truncating them like in Gen 1?

The press kit had quite a bit of attention to the steps taken to address Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) in the upper trim levels, that will be a nice addition to the Ridgeline. There were a couple of things listed in the press kit which I had either missed in Gen 2 speculation threads or had not been caught - capless fueling system, "Amplitude Reactive Dampers" (apparently dual stage/piston shock absorbing), and the engine running at 11.5:1 compression ratio but still requiring only 87 octane gas. That last bit implies that just like the Gen 1, there should be a hp gain when using higher octane premium unleaded. Does anybody from the Pilot communities have any idea how much the gain would be?

Speaking of gains, in the drivetrain section of the press kit they have a picture of the Gen 2 vs Gen 1 hp/torque curves. The bulk of the gains are at the very top of the rpm band, where the typical skinflint Honda driver will not spend much time at all since it "sucks gas". Throughout the normal operating band the improvement over Gen 1 is very slight, only a couple of hp or lb-ft. Since they note that the Gen 2 is 1.8 seconds quicker 0-60 than the Gen 1, the magic must be in the increased ratio spread of the 6-speed transmission and the improved VTM system. Combined mileage is right in line with what is currently experienced with 2016 Pilots on fuelly dot com, most drivers will average around 21-22 mpg as expected.

Unlike the Gen 1 intro, Honda did not devote much space to emphasizing "fun to drive", for example no comments about intake being tuned for a pleasant sound and no commentary about accessories designed to make use of toys easier. There is also very little commentary about any engine / transmission features specifically upgraded for Ridgeline --- looks like Joe's info was right on target.

· Registered
160 Posts
If you thought people were critical of the first generations looks, just wait till you're seen in this over-priced girly machine.
Sometimes buyers are bamboozled just cause its a "new model". Just imagine if the 1st and 2nd generation RL's were reversed, you would feel as though you were taking a step up in looks, not back..
Totally Agree!!!

· Registered
9,975 Posts
The more I see, hear, read, etc on the GEN II the more I am thinking about just keeping my immaculate low milage 2013 RTL. Was looking forward to GEN II, having 2nd thoughts.

· Administrator
24,829 Posts
Overall a very nice range of features that should appeal to a wider audience than Gen 1. Gen 2 should be a great success for Honda. If they had provided a button to turn off VCM, I'd probably line up to buy one but it would be a real challenge deciding which trim. I would want the high end audio with the in-bed exciters and all the other goodies, but would NOT want all the Honda Sensing stuff. Getting the features I wanted might come at a heavy price in terms of extra gadgetry and irritation of having to constantly turn stuff off. Still though, it's a pretty impressive package of goodies on the high end trim - from other manufacturers that would be a $50,000+ truck. Leveraging the Pilot so heavily really paid off for Gen 2 buyers.

The press kit had a couple of things that caught my eye. I was surprised to see that the CD player is now a dealer-installed accessory. I wonder how much the dealers will try to squeeze out of Joe Public to install that little goody, and what opportunities for hamfisted component mangling the installation process will offer. Also on the Gen 2 Sirius XM - has anybody seen the actual implementation on the newer Hondas? Will it finally scroll the full song titles and such instead of truncating them like in Gen 1?

The press kit had quite a bit of attention to the steps taken to address Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) in the upper trim levels, that will be a nice addition to the Ridgeline. There were a couple of things listed in the press kit which I had either missed in Gen 2 speculation threads or had not been caught - capless fueling system, "Amplitude Reactive Dampers" (apparently dual stage/piston shock absorbing), and the engine running at 11.5:1 compression ratio but still requiring only 87 octane gas. That last bit implies that just like the Gen 1, there should be a hp gain when using higher octane premium unleaded. Does anybody from the Pilot communities have any idea how much the gain would be?

Speaking of gains, in the drivetrain section of the press kit they have a picture of the Gen 2 vs Gen 1 hp/torque curves. The bulk of the gains are at the very top of the rpm band, where the typical skinflint Honda driver will not spend much time at all since it "sucks gas". Throughout the normal operating band the improvement over Gen 1 is very slight, only a couple of hp or lb-ft. Since they note that the Gen 2 is 1.8 seconds quicker 0-60 than the Gen 1, the magic must be in the increased ratio spread of the 6-speed transmission and the improved VTM system. Combined mileage is right in line with what is currently experienced with 2016 Pilots on fuelly dot com, most drivers will average around 21-22 mpg as expected.

Unlike the Gen 1 intro, Honda did not devote much space to emphasizing "fun to drive", for example no comments about intake being tuned for a pleasant sound and no commentary about accessories designed to make use of toys easier. There is also very little commentary about any engine / transmission features specifically upgraded for Ridgeline --- looks like Joe's info was right on target.
CDs are outdated technology and are going the way of cassettes, records, and 8-tracks. It's past time to transfer that content to a newer portable media format (iPod, smart phone, USB drive, etc.) or a streaming cloud service.

If the XM interface is Honda's latest (i.e., 2016 Civic), it should show "longer" (longer than previous versions, but some information is still truncated) song information along with album art. If it's the previous version like in my '16 CR-V, it is still limited to 16 characters and no album art.

Unlike the G1 which was purposefully tuned to sound "powerful", it seems the G2 focuses on sound reduction. I find it interesting that there appears to be three different levels of noise abatement in the G2 - the higher the trim the more noise abating materials are used.

· Registered
84 Posts
Totally Agree!!!
You're kidding right? If you were on this site for 10 years loving you Ridgeline that is the same style as all other pickups and then they switched to the G1 style, you think everyone here would be jumping for joy? I bet 90% of the people would be complaining about the new style.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.