Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some other members I have been following both the Ridgeline and Pilot. The Pilot forum members were hoping to use the Ridgeline center stack radio / screen unit to get the the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but there are backend programming differences between the two. Well, Honda did infact bring over the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to the newly announced 2017 Pilot along with the addition of a "fingerprint resistant touchscreen"

2017 Honda Pilot Gets Apple CarPlay? and Android Auto? - Honda.com

Okay, not keeping up with the Joneses, but from reading all the complaints here about fingerprints, I really would like that on my yet to be purchased 2017 Ridgeline.
"These models will also see application of a new coating to reduce the appearance of fingerprints on the screen while retaining high glare resistance."

Do you all think there is any chance or does Honda have any history of mid-year cut-ins on something like this? Even if they don't formally announce it, it would be less expensive for Honda to just build one part number, with the anti fingerprint coating and then program the units for either the Ridgeline or Pilot.

Should I get my hopes up we may see this as a cut-in in maybe the January timeframe?

·
Registered
46 Posts
No expertise here, but if it happens, doubt it would be the 2017 Ridgeline. Maybe next year. Would be interested to know if this is a coating or a different material, and could it be applied by the dealer, or if someone else is making such an after-market product. I tried one brand of screen protector, but bubbles, fit, and general appearance were unsatisfactory for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Our Black Edition arrives next week. I'm leaning towards Vu Shield but I also emailed Zagg to see if they had anything available. The Zagg product works well on my iPad Pro for "reducing" finger prints. Would like to hear from other members that have found a "successful" product to use on the screen.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Interesting how Honda made a big deal about the 'volume' knob on the new CR-V; however, it looks like the Pilot still has the same interface as the RL, without the knob....I'll believe the 'fingerprint resistance' when I see it....

OTOH, I personally don't miss the volume knob and see it as out of place on the new CR-V...

I've tried several screen covers and haven't noticed a huge difference in resisting fingerprints...would be interested to see if Zagg has anything; however, took off their iPhone protector that was dull as it fuzzied up the screen and replaced it with the crystal clear one (that gets more fingerprints) because I like the clarity.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I myself have not found this to be a huge problem. I just don't really have a reason to touch the screen all that much. A once a month cleaning with some Sprayaway and a microfiber and life is good.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Our Black Edition arrives next week. I'm leaning towards Vu Shield but I also emailed Zagg to see if they had anything available. The Zagg product works well on my iPad Pro for "reducing" finger prints. Would like to hear from other members that have found a "successful" product to use on the screen.
Don't love the Vu Shield. Most guys got the regular screen and say it helps with fingerprints but I wanted more glare reduction (which is awful with the sunroof open; screen washes completely out) so I got the matte one. Helps reduce fingerprints but doesn't do anything to cut glare. For almost $20 with shipping, don't think it does much.

Like Mr. Black says, fingerprints aren't that big of a deal, once you learn the steering wheel controls, you can pretty much do everything with them so the screen stays print free (although the results I get with voice commands are almost comical for the navigation, haven't learned the "secret" yet I guess).

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Deep Scarlet Pearl
33 Posts
I also have the PcProfessional Screen Protector (Set of 2) for 2017 Honda Ridgeline - gone from a daily cleaning to once a week and even then barely a fingerprint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No expertise here, but if it happens, doubt it would be the 2017 Ridgeline. Maybe next year. Would be interested to know if this is a coating or a different material, and could it be applied by the dealer, or if someone else is making such an after-market product. I tried one brand of screen protector, but bubbles, fit, and general appearance were unsatisfactory for me.
Anti-Fingerprint coating is technically called "Oleophobic Coating", this is what Apple uses on their iPhones and it is what I spec on the glass touchscreens I design for the aircraft entertainment systems I work on in my job. It is normally a highly technical application, such as in a vacuum vapor deposition chamber. Knowing the Ridgeline screen is plastic I did quick search and here is a link to the challenges of Oleophobic Coating on plastic and the nanotech product offering of one company for OEMs.

Hydrophobic Polymer Coating, Oleophobic Polymer Coatings, Repellency Polymer Treatment

One other hit in the search does show a hand applied touch-up product for the iPhones:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+apply+anti-fingerprint+oleophobic+coating/9682

So upon finding out about the 2017 Pilot "fingerprint resistant touchscreen" I emailed one dealer who has been hoping to sell me a Ridgeline and surprisingly he told me the 2018 Ridgeline is due for release in April. This is good news but I assumed the 2018 Ridgeline would follow the normal fall release schedule, does anyone believe the 2018 Ridgeline will really be out that early?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, one more thing, a professional disclaimer if you will. Please don't go out and buy the iPhone touch-up coating product, the chemical compound used for glass coatings is completely different than those for plastics. Using coating intended for glass on plastic may result in a melted pile of goo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Reactions: Max57

·
Registered
267 Posts
So upon finding out about the 2017 Pilot "fingerprint resistant touchscreen" I emailed one dealer who has been hoping to sell me a Ridgeline and surprisingly he told me the 2018 Ridgeline is due for release in April. This is good news but I assumed the 2018 Ridgeline would follow the normal fall release schedule, does anyone believe the 2018 Ridgeline will really be out that early?
I'd certainly like to hear from Joe (csimo) or anyone else with information about the 2018 model being released in April of 2017. Though several months later than my plans for buying, it would still work. Maybe "E" models would be easier to find then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I set up the screen sensitivity & use an iPad stylus. I toss it in the slot below the screen (no CD player). On the occasions I need to make screen selections, no fingerprints!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts