Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want to trade my very low milage 2013 RTL for a new RL with comparable equipment. That would be a 2017 RTL-E. My list price on the 2013 RTL was $33,580, fast forward 3 years and change and the price on the RTL-E is $41,370. So $7,730 dollars more for an equivalent vehicle that has added GPS, a trunk boom box, and a few more gadgets. Add depreciation for the 2013 and you are looking at $13,370 plus the seemingly endless array of dealer add ons plus taxes and God only knows what else. What has happened to my customer friendly Honda dealers that sold me 18 Honda's since 1981.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know the point of your post is to rant over the price that the new RL is demanding, but I can't help but be impressed that your depreciation on the old one is only 16% after 3 years.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the point of your post is to rant over the price that the new RL is demanding, but I can't help but be impressed that your depreciation on the old one is only 16% after 3 years.
Says a lot for the GEN I.

Reactions: tbrigh01

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Part of the problem is they didn't build nearly enough BE, RTL-E, or even RTL-T. They didn't expect the demand, and are no where near ready for it.

Currently there are 172 - BE, 197 - RTL-E, & 731 - RTL-T, for a total of 1100 in the country on Cars.com, granted, that's probably not every dealer, and probably not every G2, but that's not even one per dealer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Agreed, you can claim inflation and competitor pricing...but it still doesn't come out right to me. The competitor is often selling up to 10k off MSRP. Not going to see that baring $5 a gallon gas from Honda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All the RTL-Es around me (GEORGIA) and surrounding states were sold within a day or two at MSRP. There was one that sat for a whole month but they wanted 2k more than MSRP. I finally found one yesterday that was discounted 1.5k below MSRP at the color I wanted. Wasn't much hassles and came with 6 free oil change. :).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your 2013 is now where close to a new 2017 RTL-E AWD, just the electronics, radio system, navigation, would probably add an easy $5000 dollars to the vehicle, plus increase horse power and fuel millage. I don't like the prices either of the new models, but sticker shock is a way of life these days. I have a 2008 RTL Ridgeline with 50,000 miles in perfect condition, I feel the same way about having to spend some $20,000 to $25,000 dollars to get a new model, sort of leaves me scratching my head, why not keep what I got.

trainman

·
Registered
373 Posts
Agreed, you can claim inflation and competitor pricing...but it still doesn't come out right to me. The competitor is often selling up to 10k off MSRP. Not going to see that baring $5 a gallon gas from Honda.
You can put a high list price on anything and give a big discount, looks good on paper and probably you feel good about the deal, but in the long run, it doesn't bring anymore value to the vehicle. The best discounts I've ever seen on a new Honda was around $1500 dollars, unless it was a closeout model and Honda was kicking in some cash with the deal. I wouldn't wait for the Honda, Ridgeline, Pilot, Odyssey,to get any discounts, maybe the lower priced models, but not the top of the line models. Even our new Acura RDX we were only able to get around $1500 dollars off of list anywhere we shopped the DFW area, it's just the Honda thing.

trainman

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are a few on here that got seriously good deals on Gen1 RL when gas was $4-5 last time back in 2007ish. We aren't talking 1-2k off here, we are talking outgoing Ford F150 single cab kind of deals 6-8k or more off. Ford and the other truck makers were also dumping their trucks at the time. My Bro in Law bought a decked out F150 for @ $26k if memory serves about that same time.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There are a few on here that got seriously good deals on Gen1 RL when gas was $4-5 last time back in 2007ish. We aren't talking 1-2k off here, we are talking outgoing Ford F150 single cab kind of deals 6-8k or more off. Ford and the other truck makers were also dumping their trucks at the time. My Bro in Law bought a decked out F150 for @ $26k if memory serves about that same time.
I'm not sure about that, bought my 07 in November 06, RTL none nav.....Sticker was just shy of $33,000 and bought it for $27,450 with out any hassle at all...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I feel your pain, but if you want this car that is what you are going to have to pony up! Now you could wait for the next economic down turn but only the shadow knows when that is going to happen....Think of it this way, it is less than half the cost of a Tesla model S....95K+ for a stripped down model. Now 41,500 sounds much better!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Or you could just drive your 2013 until it has a few more miles on it, maybe another 6 months to a year, and inventory levels are up...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Consumer Reports and US News are reporting average sale prices on the RTL Es is about $400 OVER MSRP.
If you can find one.
If they are discounted, $1,500 seems about it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is one of those cases that Honda dropped the 2008 Ridgline $4500 dollars. In the fall of 2008 Honda dealers had lots of Ridgelines in stock and they weren't selling and the new 2009 Ridgelines were about to hit the dealers lots. All dealers in the DFW area were reducing their prices by huge amounts. I just happened to be at the Honda dealer and was looking at Ridgelines and a sales person told me that there were huge discounts on the 2008 models. Here is what I purchased a 2008 RTL Ridgeline for, $26,750 plus tax, title, and license, the vehicle had a list price of $34,900. With both Honda and the dealer discount applied, I hit the Mother Load. Did anyone else encounter this huge discount back in 2008.

trainman

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is one of those cases that Honda dropped the 2008 Ridgline $4500 dollars. In the fall of 2008 Honda dealers had lots of Ridgelines in stock and they weren't selling and the new 2009 Ridgelines were about to hit the dealers lots. All dealers in the DFW area were reducing their prices by huge amounts. I just happened to be at the Honda dealer and was looking at Ridgelines and a sales person told me that there were huge discounts on the 2008 models. Here is what I purchased a 2008 RTL Ridgeline for, $26,750 plus tax, title, and license, the vehicle had a list price of $34,900. With both Honda and the dealer discount applied, I hit the Mother Load. Did anyone else encounter this huge discount back in 2008.

trainman
I remember that time well. It wasn't just Honda Ridgelines that were being discounted, it was everything (except the prius, there was a waiting list for it). Car sales in general were hurting badly. And the bigger and thirstier the vehicle, the more manufacturers were willing to discount it. This was just before the whole "cash for clunkers" program that Washington pushed out to breathe life into the economy, and the automotive industry in general. Anyone who could afford it, and was willing to put $4 a gallon into a big thirsty truck, could easily walk away with a steal on anything they wanted during that time.

Personally, I purchased a used 4Runner 4x4 with 60,000 miles on the odometer during that time. It was 5 years old and I paid $11k cash for it from a used car dealer. I drove it for a few years, doubled the miles, and sold it to the first person that responded to my craigslist ad for $12k (which was the market value) a few years later.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think the term "gouging" should apply to any new car price. Any individual or business should be free to raise the price when their goods or services in high demand. It's up to the buyer to say yes or no. This should especially apply to non-essentials, such as a new car. I could only get a $600 discount on my '17 RL. I do NOT begrudge the dealer for driving a hard bargain. I won't hesitate to buy from that dealer again if they have something I want at a competitive price.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Your 2013 is now where close to a new 2017 RTL-E AWD, just the electronics, radio system, navigation, would probably add an easy $5000 dollars to the vehicle, plus increase horse power and fuel millage.

trainman
Remember that the Honda Sensing Safety Package is standard on the E and BE trims.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts