2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
And from what I've read a possibility for some sort of diesel

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And from what I've read a possibility for some sort of diesel
What I saw was an option between a 4 cyl gas and 5 cyl diesel. Ford has the 2.7 turbo that they are putting in F-150's that could go in the Ranger. I had a 94 Ranger, good truck.

Reactions: RTLGATOR

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Oh damn. THAT could be my next truck. Looks like several companies are going to step up to the plate in the mid-size truck market. Swing batter, batter.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It still has the front fender handles, I see.:grin:

And is that a stick shift or do my eyes deceive me?

Reactions: 25 Year Honda Owner

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think I see unibody as well.....if it was on frame that body would be twisted...
Good catch. Sounding even better now.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
I like the looks of that Ranger. But it does look a bit Toyota-ish to me. (which is not a bad thing). I think it looks better than the Taco. And the G2 RL too. However, initial impressions can be deceiving.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I like the looks of that Ranger. But it does look a bit Toyota-ish to me. (which is not a bad thing). I think it looks better than the Taco. And the G2 RL too. However, initial impressions can be deceiving.
I agree, it does look a bit Tacoma-ish. Which is ok with me because I like the look of the new Tacoma but I don't like some of the issues the new Tacoma is having.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
If I had to buy something new today, I'd still have to give the G2 top billing, regardless of the departure from the G1. It still comes closest to meeting my needs over what else is out there. But I'd still have to look around some to verify that.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
After finally seeing the G2 in person I don't think I could possibly allow myself to spend $40,000 on one. As much as I absolutely can't believe I'm going to say this, I think I'd buy one of the GM twins first. Luckily it'll be a few years before I need to worry about it.

What I might consider doing is trading for a low mileage 2014 RL SE if I can find one from the south. But this Ranger will certainly be on the list.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
After finally seeing the G2 in person I don't think I could possibly allow myself to spend $40,000 on one. As much as I absolutely can't believe I'm going to say this, I think I'd buy one of the GM twins first. Luckily it'll be a few years before I need to worry about it.

What I might consider doing is trading for a low mileage 2014 RL SE if I can find one from the south. But this Ranger will certainly be on the list.
Ridgedawg, my thoughts exactly, looked at some other midsize trucks and so far the twins are a possibility, and when this new Ranger hits the market I will definitely look at that. I guess I'm narrowing it down to 3 so far, one of the twins, aDodge Ram1500, or this Ranger.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I like the looks of the Ranger. If included, these Ranger features would win me over: opening rear window, 4 foot wide flat cargo area, sure-footedness in inclement weather. I drove one of the early generation Rangers for a summer and it was really fun to drive.

I had a really bad Chevy experience (I'm talking about Herb Jones Chevrolet in Elizabethtown, Kentucky) many years ago. The final result is that I have vowed not to own another Chevy product for the rest of my life.

Like Ridgedawg, I'll look for a used G1 before entering a G2. I don't even need to go look at a G2, I can tell they took away functionality I need just by looking at the pictures.

I wonder if the other pick-up manufacturers consider a 4 foot wide bed as the hallmark ("haul-mark" if you like puns) of full-size and full-size profit margins. I wonder if Ford, Hyundai or VW will construct a 4 foot wide bed on a mid-size?

·
Registered
244 Posts
looking for Ranger, not seeing any Ford

In Aruba and enjoying seeing all the smaller than full size trucks here. Been on the lookout for Ranger. So far not seeing any. A couple of old F-150 sited.

So far
New Nissan Frontier double cab 4WD - this is the newest design not offered in USA. Of course the engine is diesel. Truck looks much nicer in person than pictures I'd seen.

Great Wall 2WD and 4WD double cab diesels - they look decent for exterior fit and finish

Mitsubishi L200 - all double cab 4WD diesel - new and old models

Isuzu DMax 4WD and 2WD double cab - mostly diesel and some gas

Chevrolet S10 4WD and 2WD double cabs - these all seem to be a few years older and not seeing any of the current Colorado style. Not sure if the ones I've seen are gas or diesel.

Pretty interesting. Ford must be absent from Aruba market. I'll keep my eyes open.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts