Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Curious if any other folks are having the issues I'm having with a gen 2 Ridgeline. I'm up in the U.P. of Michigan where admittedly winters are tough. However, it's only 25º (not the -15 it will be later in the winter) and wipers are virtually useless. There is no front windshield de-icer for the wiper blades (is that an option on higher trims?) and the defrosters simply do not warm the wiper blade parking area. The blades tuck far below the reach of the interior windshield defroster blower. I have run the truck for over an hour with full heat and defroster blowing and the blades continue to freeze. Sometimes completely refreezing to the windshield as I'm driving along. Ice melts from the windshield heat and runs down the windshield and freezes on the blades. I have bought some new winter specific Trico blades but it has made no difference. Blades continually ice up no mater what I do.

I've been loving this vehicle but so far it seems troublesome in the cold. Searching for any ideas or help.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,553 Posts
Unfortunately, the Canadian Trims have an electric heating element in that area as do all G1 Ridgelines

It was removed from all versions of the US

Reactions: MrMischief

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
There is no front windshield de-icer for the wiper blades (is that an option on higher trims?)...
All Canadian Ridgelines come standard with a "front wiper de-icer" (aka "heated windshield" or "heated windshield wiper area").

No second-generation (2017-current) US Ridgeline has this feature. (All 2006-2014 Ridgelines had a heater wiper area, but some people experienced cracked windshields and blame it on the heated wiper area.)

EDIT: Oops. Cross-posted with @Carsmak. Sorry about that - forgot to refresh the page!

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
570 Posts
Not sure if this will make it better, worse, or have any effect at all...can you direct engine heat to that area by removing the weather seal that seals between the hood and cowl when the hood is closed?

I always wonder why vehicle manufacturers delete options like this, or make them only available to certain regions. I can understand not offering cooled seats...well, I kinda understand that. But this is a safety item.

I can hear the designers...."lets design a windshield that drops well below any source of heat, then watch our customers struggle to free their frozen wipers mmmwahahaha!"

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
When I was living in the Colorado mountains, for a time I had a 2008 Avalanche and I was having this same issue. The Avalanche had come with a windshield washer fluid heater, but it was removed due to a factory recall. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit that worked great and hooked up to the factory wiring harness. You might try this if or something like this if you can't come up with another solution:

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Winter-Accessories/Heat-Clean-Windshield-Washer-Heater?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Winter-Accessories&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts&utm_term=Heat-Clean-Windshield-Washer-Heater&gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4Sdsgo8SIHDCaBzsBzuT-2z94avm9aidW31FBGF0WrpywpgzhYCAUeihoC85EQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
562 Posts
What part of the UP? I'm in Ishpeming. Sorry to hear your experience to date. I wonder if you have any sort of blockage in the system I have yet to experience this problem. Our truck is in the garage at night. We've seen 9F in the morning so far, but we start from a 40F garage. Our 09 RTL had the heated strip at the bottom of the window and to be honest, I found it more a gimmick than anything. Shutting the vehicle down on a cold day outside pretty much welded the wipers to the windshield for the next start several hours later. At least that was my experience. I wish it hadn't had that feature. On the flip side the HVAC system for warm up in the 09 was excellent. One of the best I've had.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,553 Posts
When I was living in the Colorado mountains, for a time I had a 2008 Avalanche and I was having this same issue. The Avalanche had come with a windshield washer fluid heater, but it was removed due to a factory recall. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit that worked great and hooked up to the factory wiring harness. You might try this if or something like this if you can't come up with another solution:

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Winter-Accessories/Heat-Clean-Windshield-Washer-Heater?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Winter-Accessories&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts&utm_term=Heat-Clean-Windshield-Washer-Heater&gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4Sdsgo8SIHDCaBzsBzuT-2z94avm9aidW31FBGF0WrpywpgzhYCAUeihoC85EQAvD_BwE
I don't believe his problem is with the washer fluid freezing, but the wipers freezing to the windshield.

·
Registered
142 Posts
tlucas- here is a suggestion that did help some G1 owners who had issues with wipers jamming up with snow because they (like yours) sit too low. You may be able to reposition wiper start/park position by removing them from their spined shaft and remount them so they sit higher-may take some experimentation to get them as high as possible without having them hit left side of frame when working.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The deep pocket the Gen 1 wipers sat in was as bad a problem as the heated strip. It probably complimented the freezing problem of the heated strip. It was the deepest I've ever had. A real pain digging all the snow out.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I don't believe his problem is with the washer fluid freezing, but the wipers freezing to the windshield.
The warm fluid coming out of the washer nozzles thaws the wipers and unsticks them from the windshield. That's exactly the problem I was having. Once they are free from the windshield, with the defrost on high will usually keep them from sticking. I've driven in -25° F weather and had no issues. Also, I wonder if the OP is using the proper type of fluid. If he isn't using quality "below zero" fluid, he is going to have issues with the fluid freezing. I bought some cheap fluid once that was supposedly rated to -32° and it was freezing right at 0°. I almost didn't make it home. I brought it back to NAPA and let them have an earful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Or. You can accept that this is a fact of winter. In Canada, I've come to accept this. Our winter temps here in Winnipeg are often -30/-40C (fyi -40C = -40F) I have a 2018 sport, first vehicle I've had with heated wiper option. Came standard. I have little to no faith that this will actually do anything. I've purchased a plethora of winter wipers and all result in the same thing. Vehicle regardless of make will always have runnoff down the windshield creating an ice damn above the wipers resulting in poor performance and the rubber in the wipers will always freeze regardless of make once it's -20 or colder just like winter tires. The only thing I've ever done that offered some relief, amd to be honest it's just as much as pain, is to take the wiper blades off and bring them inside then put them back on when going somewhere. Completely impracticle, and I rarely do that. It's just a fact of winter. Accept it and move on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Your Temps aren't much different than here and your snowfall is a fraction of what we get. (at least that's what Google said :) I believe the OP has a legitimate question and/or gripe. We are certainly no stranger to harsh winter conditions here. I've been driving in this stuff almost 50 years. My cars were all outside till I was 39-40 years old so I have plenty of experience in this area. Bottom line is I've had better vehicles than the RL for wiper freezing issues. The 09 RL was also the 1st vehicle I've ever had that normal wiper fluid froze on the driver's side. It even froze a couple times with the below zero stuff in there. Something should probably have been routed differently

Many here will put a piece of cardboard under the wipers for over night. Simpler than hassling with wiper blade removal

·
Registered
276 Posts
Or. You can accept that this is a fact of winter. In Canada, I've come to accept this. Our winter temps here in Winnipeg are often -30/-40C (fyi -40C = -40F) I have a 2018 sport, first vehicle I've had with heated wiper option. Came standard. I have little to no faith that this will actually do anything. I've purchased a plethora of winter wipers and all result in the same thing. Vehicle regardless of make will always have runnoff down the windshield creating an ice damn above the wipers resulting in poor performance and the rubber in the wipers will always freeze regardless of make once it's -20 or colder just like winter tires. The only thing I've ever done that offered some relief, amd to be honest it's just as much as pain, is to take the wiper blades off and bring them inside then put them back on when going somewhere. Completely impracticle, and I rarely do that. It's just a fact of winter. Accept it and move on.

We don't get that cold here, and I park in my garage, so I don't need to worry about the wipers freezing like that, generally. I have had some cold snaps make my wipers freeze to the windshield when I was parked outside at work/the store, but could usually just wiggle them loose.

If it were chronic, to the point you mention of removing the wipers and then putting them back on, I am just wondering if lifting them, so they weren't touching the windshield, would work as well?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hm, cardboard underneath seems far more practicle. As mentioned above.

I think you get more snow in upper michigan then we do here to be honest. Do you guys have the washer fluid rated to -40? Winter fluid rated to minus 40 def helps keep it fluid. But the issue isnt the fluid, It sounds like the RL may have worse than usual wiper positions, I sure hope not. So far, I've had no issue with them freezing at all but we've only had a couple days below -20c

·
Registered
562 Posts
-35F fluid is what I ended up mixing in, but the mix still froze a couple times. The hood windshield pocket on the Gen 1 RL was the deepest, most covered I've ever had. Besides the wipers freezing, digging the pocket out was a real pain. Had to be done for the fluid nozzles and wipers to sit right. The new RL pocket is good size, but it seems not as much digging will be required due to the hood not covering as much real estate. These things are not as much an issue these days because of the garage, but occasionally we have been in conditions with below zero temps and a pile of snow to brush off. These are minor things that could have been done better. I'm on my 2nd RL so evidently there was much more to like than dislike :)

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,221 Posts
You might try adding a heavy coat of wax to the windshield area where the wipers rest.

My dad always put an empty feed sack (from 50lb bag of cattle mineral) under the wipers....kept frost/snow off the windshield, too.

I've also heard of people putting old socks over their wiper blades. However, if you get much melting and refreezing, I could see those freezing to the windshield.

Use quality WW fluid....yoi get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,687 Posts
You might try adding a heavy coat of wax to the windshield area where the wipers rest.

My dad always put an empty feed sack (from 50lb bag of cattle mineral) under the wipers....kept frost/snow off the windshield, too.

I've also heard of people putting old socks over their wiper blades. However, if you get much melting and refreezing, I could see those freezing to the windshield.

Use quality WW fluid....yoi get what you pay for.
I use 90 proof alcohol in my windshield wiper tank. Just kidding, I don't even drink alcohol.:grin:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,800 Posts
WTF, Honda? Talk about stupid.
If Honda had included it on the US GenII's there would be people here complaining how it is a HUGE risk to crack your windshield:) Someone would be selling the WiperHeaterMuzzler:)

On the GenI, which has an electric heating element where the wipers park (in all models), there have been a number of reports of windshield cracks in the passenger side corner of the windshield near in the area of the heating element. Many concluded that the heating element was to blame. Seems logical but not really a scientific conclusion. Also as mentioned the heating element didn't really completely solve the issue for our friends in the extreme cold areas.

I think the heated washer fluid reservoir sounds like a good option for those in need. I don't see it freeing up a stuck wiper for the first drive of the day though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If Honda had included it on the US GenII's there would be people here complaining how it is a HUGE risk to crack your windshield:) Someone would be selling the WiperHeaterMuzzler:)

On the GenI, which has an electric heating element where the wipers park (in all models), there have been a number of reports of windshield cracks in the passenger side corner of the windshield near in the area of the heating element. Many concluded that the heating element was to blame. Seems logical but not really a scientific conclusion. Also as mentioned the heating element didn't really completely solve the issue for our friends in the extreme cold areas.

I think the heated washer fluid reservoir sounds like a good option for those in need. I don't see it freeing up a stuck wiper for the first drive of the day though.
IMO, the heated element was mostly a gimmick. It served no useful purpose where it was needed the most and was actually conducive to freezing the wipers to the windshield when you shut it off. I've also had a vehicle with the 'heated' windshield washer fluid (Lacrosse)...that too was absolutely useless for where it's needed the most...another gimmick

1 - 20 of 90 Posts