Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
And the most important.....ASTRONOMY equipment! Its not top of the line but its mine, It works and I would like to keep it dry. It works better that way.
You got that right! Back when I was working and lived in the city and needed to be portable for dark skies, I bought a van just because I needed to haul all the stuff. Retired now and live in a dark sky site (don't even have to go anywhere for the eclipse as we are amazingly right under the track) so have a permanent setup but would surely need a cap if I needed to be portable!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to the local truck cap dealer yesterday as they carry all three brands that will have a Ridgeline cap and looked at the series that is reported to be in work from all three. In order to see a similar size I had them show me the models that fit the Toyota Tacoma so I could see the features. I found they all have the honeycomb reinforced roof.

Leer XL series - through holes and mounts on rear glass

Snugtop Super Sport - through holes and mounts on rear and side glass

A.R.E. Z Series - I really like the completely smooth rear & side glass and the full frame rear door which has a better flush appearance. These features along with the flip out side windows give it more of an SUV look. (Only A.R.E. and Leer have screens with the flip out window style.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not to sound like an ass, but if you're going to put on a cap - why not just buy a Pilot then?
Big Hairy Dogs, Lumber, Gas Cans, Lawn mowers, Mother-in-laws, and maybe a few dozen other items. Basically anything annoyingly messy that you would never put in an upholstered and carpeted interior (unless you don't give a crap what damage occurs).
Say no more, I completely understand...

Now where can I order one of these? lol

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
SoCal1:

I've seen the pictures of the Leer, and unlike most people I actually like the look of the 100 XL. You just showed the A.R.E., which looks like it has the advantage of some extra upper canopy room. It's not flush with the roof line. Snugtop is not sold in my area but I'm dying to see what their truck cap looks like. Did you get pictures of that one? They don't list the Ridgeline on their website yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SoCal1:
You just showed the A.R.E., which looks like it has the advantage of some extra upper canopy room. It's not flush with the roof line. Did you get pictures of that one? They don't list the Ridgeline on their website yet.
My apologies for the confusion, those were just stock photos of the side windows and not the Ridgeline cap itself. I've emailed A.R.E. asking for a release date and photos so maybe more next week. The A.R.E. Z Series is flush with the top of the cab, here is a Ford Sport Trac with a similar short bed as the Ridgeline to get an idea of what it may look like. The dealer said A.R.E. may announce something at the upcoming SEMA show but we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leer has one now ARE is coming out within weeks from what they told me. The Leer Base Unit which I believe is a 100XL $1799.00 for the Base before options. I'll wait

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
...You just showed the A.R.E., which looks like it has the advantage of some extra upper canopy room...
I really prefer that extra canopy "headroom" but doubt any of the makers will offer that style for the RL, due to the truck's low sales volume and likely low demand for canopies. It seems most canopy buyers prefer the flush-with-roof look. Still, I had hoped that maybe one of the makers would have recognized the practicality of a raised canopy for a bed as shallow as the RL's.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
I really prefer that extra canopy "headroom" but doubt any of the makers will offer that style for the RL, due to the truck's low sales volume and likely low demand for canopies. It seems most canopy buyers prefer the flush-with-roof look. Still, I had hoped that maybe one of the makers would have recognized the practicality of a raised canopy for a bed as shallow as the RL's.
I really like the idea of a cap, and I've owned several of them. But they are always so limiting. You can't just take one off in 10 minutes if you need to haul something tall. I definitely agree that cab height tonneaus may look better but they're not a bargain. I don't see myself buying anything that doesn't have a raised canopy of some sort. They may not be pretty but I go for practical any day. It's a truck, not a beauty pageant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need 38" inside so I can put my bicycles inside and vertical. Even something that is cab height at the front then tapering higher to the rear would work.

Sure hope someone makes one soon.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
...Even something that is cab height at the front then tapering higher to the rear would work...
I call that the "wedge" style and I have one made by Range Rider on my Ford Ranger. It works great. I'd love to see something like that for the G2 RL, but even a small rise like on the white A.R.E. canopy pictured in SoCal1's post would be more practical and useful than a standard flush canopy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Could someone with a Leer cap on their 2017 measure the opening height from tailgate to top of cap door ? Leer is worthless for info. :frown::frown::frown:

I know the interior is a few inches taller but I need to know the opening height.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Not sure about the "aesthetically pleasing" part, based on a few photos I've seen so far. These cab-height caps don't offer much vertical space due to the high and shallow bed of the RL, so I emailed LEER to ask about plans to make a mid-rise model with more head room. To their credit, they answered promptly...but it wasn't what I wanted to hear -- no plans for a higher canopy. Maybe A.R.E. will come to the rescue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was quoted $2,250 plus 4.5% tax today for the A.R.E., installed. Three week wait because each is custom built.

Did not get a quote for a Leer, available fifteen minutes up the road. Ran out of time.

121 - 140 of 316 Posts