Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a little competition?
I've been keeping an eye on the 'Next-Generation Ridgeline general comments...' almost 6000 posts, and trying to read between the lines of what the next RL will look like.
Let's make it interesting and try to predict what's to come. Keep your general comments over in the other thread and post you '17 RL specs prediction here.
The winner will get nothing :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only gas truck requiring a timing belt change interval, giving Honda the highest cost of ownership in its class.

The lowest tow rating and ground clearance of any compact truck.

I bet I'm right on these!

I'm really not a hater. I'm excited to see the unveil. I just want a Honda more manly than my current Element.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The winner will get nothing :)
Then I ain't playin':mad:

Tow: 5500lbs. I think 6000 is a possibility, and within the mechanical limits of the powertrain. But Honda's conservatism will keep it dialed back to 5500

Payload: 1700-1800lbs. I know I am giving myself some leeway there. But it depends on how successful Honda is in shedding weight. I think GVW will stay the same, so any reduction in curb weight will go into payload.

MPG: 18/26. I know some people are expecting more, but let's be real. The 4cyl. 2wd. Colorado only gets 20/27 and tows 3500lbs.

Going out on a limb here: FWD extended cab with longer bed. (same overall length)

Sawing the limb off behind me: Ground clearance the same. Possibly even gaining some due to cleaning up the underside of the truck. Offroad capability will be improved over Gen1.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Is ill take a stab at the so called surprise factor, which is more or less a prediction.

1) more towing at 6k
2) a unique centre console in place of arm rest or a design that incorporated both.
3) more options to decorate the truck to fit your appeal.

these are on a wish list BUT, I do feel we all have been led down a secret path as a distraction. I just can't see them missing out on these points.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Honda really needs to have a "Ranch Edition" of this truck.
1. Give me more ground clearance. (equal to that of a Tacoma Sport) they only need an extra inch of clearance from the G1 Rdigeline. This should be simple and make a group of us happy. Give me 9.4"+ of Ground clearance. Make it 9.5" and then they have a selling point above and beyond the Toyota.
2. Give me a bull bar and skid plate that is not just decorative. Give me side steps like Rock slider that are mounted to the frame.
3. Truck look on the bed area (looks like they have this one completed)

It would be so easy to One up the Tacoma on the Ridgeline.

I wonder who is consulting on this truck.
If the front end looks like a "mini van" and it has ground clearance equal to or smaller that Gen1 Ridgeline then the entire staff should be fired.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
300 HP / 300 Ft#

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that an air suspension will be a part of the package - lower ground clearance on the highway for better economy and an inch or two higher for more clearance off road.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Honda really needs to have a "Ranch Edition" of this truck.
1. Give me more ground clearance. (equal to that of a Tacoma Sport) they only need an extra inch of clearance from the G1 Rdigeline. This should be simple and make a group of us happy. Give me 9.4"+ of Ground clearance. Make it 9.5" and then they have a selling point above and beyond the Toyota.
2. Give me a bull bar and skid plate that is not just decorative. Give me side steps like Rock slider that are mounted to the frame.
3. Truck look on the bed area (looks like they have this one completed)

It would be so easy to One up the Tacoma on the Ridgeline.

I wonder who is consulting on this truck.
If the front end looks like a "mini van" and it has ground clearance equal to or smaller that Gen1 Ridgeline then the entire staff should be fired.

Only 5 posts in and we're already in the weeds. The thread is about predictions, not wants. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think its possible to get 300hp and 300ft out out of a 3.5di v-6. Now if it was the 2.0 turbo, then sure.
Do you think it will get as good or better MPG than the Pilot?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
280HP/280 torque
8" ground clearance
No "Pilot" armrests
19/26 MPG
Locking tailgate
Lockable tonneau option
"improved" rear tailgate/trunk arrangement

(we won't know any of this for quite some months yet) ...except armrests of course.

EDIT: Almost forgot to include: 5700 lb towing capacity.

·
Registered
119 Posts
280HP/280 torque
8" ground clearance
No "Pilot" armrests
19/26 MPG
Locking tailgate
Lockable tonneau option
"improved" rear tailgate/trunk arrangement

(we won't know any of this for quite some months yet) ...except armrests of course.
8" ground clearance should have every designer on this project fired even "seppuku" comes to mind. The old version had 8.2" and that was a big complaint for not having enough clearance.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
- Pilot's 3.5l tuned for a bit more torque, a bit less hp, per Joe's specs
- 18/25 mpg (hwy rating beats comparable GM by 1 mpg, Toyota by 2 mpg)
- 8.2" ground clearance, same as Gen1 :(
- until Joe's last post, I would have said "Pilot armrests", now I think there's a chance for a console armrest
- 63" bed so Honda can brag it's longer than Colorado (62.4") or Tacoma (60") short beds
- innovative new cargo management system for the bed
- rear slider window on higher trims
- locking tailgate
- bolder face than Pilot but still too soft for "real truck" guys

PS: Can someone with a Gen1 please measure the ground clearance of those lower control arms on the rear wheels? I would like to compare that to the ground clearance of the new Pilot's rear wheel control arms. It looks to me like the Pilot's new i-VTM4 rear differential is smaller than previous Pilot and would have provided more ground clearance had Honda not dropped the Pilot's overall ride height for 2016. The new RL will have a different suspension than the Pilot and could gain ground clearance at the rear diff, but those control arms look disappointingly low to me in the spy shots.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
8" ground clearance should have every designer on this project fired even "seppuku" comes to mind. The old version had 8.2" and that was a big complaint for not having enough clearance.
Remember Tex, this is a prediction, not a "desire". I'm thinking we'll be lucky to get 8".... and no one is going to get fired over it. They're doing what their strategy dictates.

·
Registered
479 Posts
- Same ground clearance as current Ridgeline but better underbody layout to support skid plates that also provide aero control (fuel economy)
- 283 hp / 260 lb-ft
- 18/23 promised, but most folks gonna get 15 in city and about 22 on highway
- 1850 lbs payload / 6800 towing
- comes with hitch and trailer brake controller wiring harness installed
- bumper or hitch step to make it easier to climb into bed
- Aggressive "angry eyes" style LED headlights / DRL
- Soundaktor type system to let user have sportier engine noise if desired
- Much better noise isolation than Gen 1, quieter in cab
- Bigger fuel tank
- No spare tire
- Power outlet in bed or trunk
- modular storage system for rear floor and/or trunk
- spray-in bedliner option
- cargo sliding rail / tie-down system
- Sliding bed divider that works with rail/tie down system
- more cupholders
- Hill descent control
- turn radius of 38'6"
- Tow/haul mode
- Bigger mirrors with power extend
- Removable rear seats for additional flexibility
- More powerful stereo system
-and of course ABILITY TO TURN OFF VCM :act029:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Hey, hey, hey...VCM disabled when default "Eco" mode is turned off...part of the auto show surprise...Honda's concession to what most pickup truck buyers want, in the continuing tradition of giving RL owners a "VCM Off" function that Pilot owners don't have.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey, hey, hey...VCM disabled when default "Eco" mode is turned off...part of the auto show surprise...Honda's concession to what most pickup truck buyers want, in the continuing tradition of giving RL owners a "VCM Off" function that Pilot owners don't have.
Probably but kind of boring surprise. The glamor would be centre console or off road package the reality is simple switch to turn of vcm. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Surprise 10 speed option, 6sp standard
280HP/275FtLbs limited by regular gas octane
8.5" ground clearance
baja roll bar option with small side wings
rear window opening as an option rather than standard
18/26 mpg with vcm and no engine shutdown option
same or smaller gas tank to control weight
more electronic junk options

Fun to speculate, hopefully running out of time!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think we are looking at 17/24/20 on mpg for AWD. Maybe 18/25/21 at best. Not being negative, just realistic...
275 HP
275 lb-ft
5,200 lbs Towing
5.5 ft Bed
8.1" of ground clearance
I think NO seat mounted arm rests

Same basic in bed trunk & tailgate (Why would you want to change that?) but with locking (Having this on the RAM via the central locking system is great).
Still a lot of Pilot features as suspected...

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
SUV looking front end
Small Fold down armrests
No tailgate lock
Better infotainment than Pilot
10 speed tranny problems
6 Speed tranny OK
Trailgate swing open both sides
290 HP