Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it comes with one but from what I have seen and read when it comes to off roading or slow off highway towing the factory transmission cooler is not enough. I am asking if it is possible to install an ADDITIONAL after market transmission cooler?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I know it comes with one but from what I have seen and read when it comes to off roading or slow off highway towing the factory transmission cooler is not enough. I am asking if it is possible to install an ADDITIONAL after market transmission cooler?
Anything is POSSIBLE with enough time and money.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is it possible to add an additional after market transmission cooler to the 2017 Honda Ridgeline awd?
I just bought a B&M cooler from Summit. I wanted to increase the capacity of the cooler and relocate it. I got the transmission warning light over the winter after pushing my way through some "no winter maintenance" roads . Turns out the cooler doesn't work when you pack in full of snow. It's going to be a few weeks before I have time to install it, but when I do Ill take a few pictures and write it up. It looks easy but getting to everything is going to be the fun part.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Yes, theoretically you should just be able to plumb in an additional cooler, and increase your fluid volume by whatever the capacity of the new cooler and lines works out to be. I don't know if/how this would affect any of Honda's sensors, including the MM. It shouldnt, but YMMV.

Another option I would consider is to crawl under there and see what kind of room is available. If there is enough room, one might be able to attach some passive air coolers. In my case, I've got numerous CPU coolers (heatsinks) laying around from old computer builds, that I could attach to the transmission pan using arctic silver epoxy. Free cheap cooling. It's been done before, particularly on motorcycles. For extra cooling, one could attach a 12v computer fan to the heatsink and run off of the fusebox, with an inline switch to disable during normal conditions. Again, this would all depend on available room around the transmission.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,194 Posts
Question to ask is, what is the appropriate operating temperature range for the stock transmission. Just like the engine oil, you do not want to over-cool the transmission fluid either. The system is built with a cooler and a warner (on the bottom end tank of the radiator) for a purpose and Zroger might know the exact values of it.
I live in Central NJ and have towed and operated my 205K+ mile truck in all weather conditions and have not been able to successfully clog up my trans cooler, or even the radiator, to throw a warning. So for me, the additional cooler has never been a thought of mine.

Please do not add computer fans to cool your heat exchangers either; that is the impractical nonsense at its finest.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
When the transmission judder TSB came out, it had me thinking, where is the failure? Is it in the cooling or is it the fluid itself or a combination of both.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has anyone tired the Torque app in conjunction with a BLE OBDII reader to check the transmission temperature? My plan was to get a baseline before I installed the cooler so not to over cool the fluid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone tired the Torque app in conjunction with a BLE OBDII reader to check the transmission temperature? My plan was to get a baseline before I installed the cooler so not to over cool the fluid.
Don't know about the G2, but I use Torque on my G1. The tranny temp runs about 172° (same as coolant).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the information. What OBDII did you use? I just ordered a $20 off amazon assuming it would be enough.
I am using a Foseal unit. I think I got it off Amazon as well. It is a low profile one because the other one I have is too long and I was concerned that I would bump/break it when getting in or out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am using a Foseal unit. I think I got it off Amazon as well. It is a low profile one because the other one I have is too long and I was concerned that I would bump/break it when getting in or out.
Yeah the one I brought is a short one as well. Did you have to create a custom PID through the Torque app in order to read the trans temp? Neither method available in torque pro is showing me anything. I'll do research and see what I can turn up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah the one I brought is a short one as well. Did you have to create a custom PID through the Torque app in order to read the trans temp? Neither method available in torque pro is showing me anything. I'll do research and see what I can turn up.
I'm not sure if they changed something in the torque app update. I just looked through the list of available sensors and I no longer see the transmission. Makes me wonder where it's getting the data from. I'll send the developers of the torque app a question about that.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,286 Posts
I'm not sure if they changed something in the torque app update. I just looked through the list of available sensors and I no longer see the transmission. Makes me wonder where it's getting the data from. I'll send the developers of the torque app a question about that.

Please Do because member @OhSix is a big user Torque App, of it and he's never been able to find that information.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This is posted on the Pilot forums about creating a custom Torque PID for transmission temp:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 222201
Long Name: Transmission Temp F
Short Name: ATF Temp
Minimum value: -40
Maximum value: 300
Scale factor: x1
Equation: AA*(9/5)-40
Overrides PID: "Does not override any PIDs"

Reactions: Venphic and Carsmak

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is posted on the Pilot forums about creating a custom Torque PID for transmission temp:

I found this late yesterday for a 11/12 Odyssey. I would assume Honda doesn't waste there time changing how the data is reported from vehicle to vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I entered this PID with no luck. It's stuck on - 41.8

1 - 20 of 121 Posts