Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
No thermostat now? Please list all the parts you are currently running and do you have a close up pic?
Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The circuit is always open but I have a thermostat on the fan. Parts list: DER-16738 / DER-13212 / SPU-IX-30103011 / SPU-IX-30130013. You'll need wire and fuse taps. I bought 4 ft of 3/8 transmission line too. Keep in mind I have an RTL so these bolts may not be available... I used an existing water proof connector I had but Derale sells the mate if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I will be interested to know how the truck runs / performs in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had that problem once before. Which is where the inline oil thermostat came from. This cooler is nearing the same surface area as stock with no direct air flow. I'm hoping that keeps me in the clear. I'll post again once it starts getting cold.

·
Registered
724 Posts
@Venphic - a few Q's tapping into the experience you've gained with all of this:
  • Looking the Spal fan you are using, do you think that unit could be fitted to the OEM cooler / mounting location?
  • Looking at the Derale fan controller/thermostat you are using, do you think that unit could be fitted to the OEM cooler / mounting location?
You can probably see where I'm going with this … in my driving (which is different from yours - strictly 'on-road' for me) I've only once seen my TFT exceed 190F on my Scangauge, and never over 200F (that in stop-and-go traffic on a hot summer day in TX). I'm wondering if the Spal fan part of your setup might lend to installation on the OEM cooler to provide a boost in effectiveness during 'low airflow' conditions?

Assuming that idea depends on the physical clearances more than anything else, your comments most welcome :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
@Venphic - a few Q's tapping into the experience you've gained with all of this:
  • Looking the Spal fan you are using, do you think that unit could be fitted to the OEM cooler / mounting location?
  • Looking at the Derale fan controller/thermostat you are using, do you think that unit could be fitted to the OEM cooler / mounting location?
You can probably see where I'm going with this … in my driving (which is different from yours - strictly 'on-road' for me) I've only once seen my TFT exceed 190F on my Scangauge, and never over 200F (that in stop-and-go traffic on a hot summer day in TX). I'm wondering if the Spal fan part of your setup might lend to installation on the OEM cooler to provide a boost in effectiveness during 'low airflow' conditions?

Assuming that idea depends on the physical clearances more than anything else, your comments most welcome :)

The thermostat probe would be difficult to mount to the factory cool. I tucked it into the input side of the after market cooler. I like the derale relay kit because it has an override option that I wired to a dash mount switch in case the thermostat fails.
If you're looking to add a fan to the factory cooler I recommend a pusher fan since there is no room between the trans cooler and the radiator. You should be able to make a bracket and mount a fan to it. The spal fan I picked is a 5.2" 313cfm unit but they make a smaller 4" ~120cfm that would probably work nicely. Keep in mind that the stock cooler is 3x9" so your fan to cooler ratio isn't great. Even cooling half would make a difference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Cooler is smack behind the bumper facia. Anyway to flip it so it is by the grill opening? Looks like there is no airflow to it, where it is currently.
Are you referring to the stock transmission cooler or my setup? The factory setup has room in front of it and is basically behind an open grill.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts