Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'd like to know if the 2017 Ridgeline has Vehicle Cylinder Management. If so I need to know how to disable that. I did not like it on the CADY 8-6-4 and I do not want it on nay machine I own. How do I take care of this problem

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yes, ‘17+ Rigi’s have VCM. VCMTuner II and S-VCM seem to be the most popular VCM disablers. I’ve been using the VCMTuner II since early this year and have no complaints. I also monitor VCM on/off…..it stays off. Both units are simple plug-n-play.(y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, ‘17+ Rigi’s have VCM. VCMTuner II and S-VCM seem to be the most popular VCM disablers. I’ve been using the VCMTuner II since early this year and have no complaints. I also monitor VCM on/off…..it stays off. Both units are simple plug-n-play.(y)
Well, please tell me is this is just a device that plug into the OBD-II port and stays there or do I have to burn this information to the ECM. Also where can I buy it and if you have a model # please send that too

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’ve been using the VCMTuner 2 for , I think >3 years, on my 2017 RTL-E. Decreased mileage 1 - 1 1/2 mpg but increased my peace of mind. My “peace of mind” became less peaceful last week when my transmission went out at 79K miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve been using the VCMTuner 2 for , I think >3 years, on my 2017 RTL-E. Decreased mileage 1 - 1 1/2 mpg but increased my peace of mind. My “peace of mind” became less peaceful last week when my transmission went out at 79K miles.
Oh that is not good. Was it related to the VCM plug and play unit

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I‘ve lost only about 1/2 mpg purely in-town driving and I seriously doubt the VCMTuner II had anything to do with a tranny failure at 79K miles.🤷‍♂️ Google VCMTuner II and S-VCM. No, they do not plug into the OBD-II port.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
First of all I'd like to know if the 2017 Ridgeline has Vehicle Cylinder Management. If so I need to know how to disable that. I did not like it on the CADY 8-6-4 and I do not want it on nay machine I own. How do I take care of this problem
If you don't know if you have it or not, what is the problem?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hum……anybody stopped doing preventative maintenance because there is not a problem?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
124 Posts
Though I do all my preventive work and minor servicing like timing belt, water pump, tensioner, plugs, checking and adjusting, if needed , valves and rarely use brakes regardless - view their usage like an emergency procedure, except after a coast to a stop sign/light (Rural driving can be gentle driving), I occasionally have warrenty work and disasters, like my transmission :(, done at the dealer. They do a lot rebuilds caused by the “managed” cylinders. I didn’t want to participate.
Have a ‘22 on order. It’ll get the VCMuzzler 2 also.

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You would rather have the Muzzler and convert it to the Tuner?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
……but defeating failed engineering could prevent undesirable side effects. Nobody likes bad apples/oranges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It could also be the fuel injection system.
I had the same issues with mine and then my truck through 6 errors codes all of a sudden. I took it in and Honda has a recall on the complete system and a 10yr or 150k mile warranty after replacement.
It has dramatically changed the way the truck shifts and climbs on the highway.
This was my only complaint on this truck and it’s now gone.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
……but defeating failed engineering could prevent undesirable side effects. Nobody likes bad apples/oranges.
You're assuming your premise is correct, that it's a failed engineered system. That's akin to saying we shouldn't use tires because they fail on occasion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could also be the fuel injection system.
I had the same issues with mine and then my truck through 6 errors codes all of a sudden. I took it in and Honda has a recall on the complete system and a 10yr or 150k mile warranty after replacement.
It has dramatically changed the way the truck shifts and climbs on the highway.
This was my only complaint on this truck and it’s now gone.
I have the same vehicle, but Honda only lists a fuel pump inspection, not a recall and nothing on the whole system. Puzzled.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don’t know if the system has to “fail” from the computers standard point in order to get the exchange. All I know is it has been a huge difference in shifting at those higher speeds.
my tank avg went from 306 mpt to 395 mpt. So it clearly made a huge difference with properly burning fuel as well.
(My truck is leveled and has 265’s on it so I don’t get sticker mpg)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You're assuming your premise is correct, that it's a failed engineered system. That's akin to saying we shouldn't use tires because they fail on occasion.
Honda and Firestone both got sued, no?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts