Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes, ‘17+ Rigi’s have VCM. VCMTuner II and S-VCM seem to be the most popular VCM disablers. I’ve been using the VCMTuner II since early this year and have no complaints. I also monitor VCM on/off…..it stays off. Both units are simple plug-n-play.(y)
How do you monitor VCM on/ off I have never seen any indication on the dash showing this. What am I to look for. Please explain ASAP before I go and spend a lot of money for nothing but problems in the future

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
How do you monitor VCM on/ off I have never seen any indication on the dash showing this. What am I to look for. Please explain ASAP before I go and spend a lot of money for nothing but problems in the future
In my experience, the VCM operation has been seamless and in my opinion, the VCM disablers are a solution looking for a problem. I was not aware that VCM was such an onerous problem. Another product of dubious value, designed to part consumers with their disposable income.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the information and you just saved me $134. We'll just run the vehicle like it is and leave it alone. Just asked my kids who I think has this same setup in his accord with more than 100K miles on it. He has shown no signs of oil consumption and no transmission problems and he drive the thing like a sports car need be.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In my experience, the VCM operation has been seamless and in my opinion, the VCM disablers are a solution looking for a problem. I was not aware that VCM was such an onerous problem. Another product of dubious value, designed to part consumers with their disposable income.
The history of engine longevity using VCM isn’t stellar. Especially, Honda’s history. I do not have tangible, quantifiable data. But, the very cylinders that are deactivated seem to be the ones that have premature ring wear.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Thanks for the information and you just saved me $134. We'll just run the vehicle like it is and leave it alone. Just asked my kids who I think has this same setup in his accord with more than 100K miles on it. He has shown no signs of oil consumption and no transmission problems and he drive the thing like a sports car need be.
The key to longevity in these engines is exactly that, drive them. Don't piddle and piss around on half cylinders all the time. 🤣

·
Registered
2019 RTL
857 Posts
It's simple. If you want to drive around with the engine operating on all cylinders, just disable VCM. If you're OK driving around operating on half the cylinders some of the time, or if $100 or so is too much to disable them, then leave it alone :).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,386 Posts
The key to longevity in these engines is exactly that, drive them. Don't piddle and piss around on half cylinders all the time. 🤣
So basically, drive it hard... or Muzzle the VCM! Either way defeats VCM. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: MtMan and GhostYK1

·
Registered
103 Posts
Back in 17, this was a hot topic with many heated discussions and passions running high on both sides of the argument. Now it's a little more peaceful. No engines have died or using OTT oil. But the issues are still there in terms of driving experience. Just like the RL itself, those who have it love it, those that don't call it a waste of money. I haven't noticed any adverse judder in my 17 but do notice a lag when giving it the beans while cruising on the highway. I do tow 3000ish and am still considering putting one on the 21 if it ever arrives.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Back in 17, this was a hot topic with many heated discussions and passions running high on both sides of the argument. Now it's a little more peaceful. No engines have died or using OTT oil. But the issues are still there in terms of driving experience. Just like the RL itself, those who have it love it, those that don't call it a waste of money. I haven't noticed any adverse judder in my 17 but do notice a lag when giving it the beans while cruising on the highway. I do tow 3000ish and am still considering putting one on the 21 if it ever arrives.
From what I have come to understand there used to be real issues with the VCM back in 2017, but those issues have since been mostly resolved where In over two years of ownership with our 2019 we have yet to be able to even detect the VCM in operation. Certainly nothing to get those panties in a wad over! ;)

Bill

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
From what I have come to understand there used to be real issues with the VCM back in 2017, but those issues have since been mostly resolved where In over two years of ownership with our 2019 we have yet to be able to even detect the VCM in operation. Certainly nothing to get those panties in a wad over! ;)

Bill
The problem was with the first-gen 2008-2013 VCM, the one that did 3, 4 or 6 cylinders. The second-gen, implemented since 2013, hasn't shown any issues.

We have a 2008 Accord V6with around 145k miles on it. No issues with the VCM yet, even though it is in the problematic years.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I monitor VCM on/off, and a host of other items, via a ScanGauge II……just ”Another product of dubious value, designed to part consumers with their disposable income”.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I also spent disposable income on a BATC and the ScanGauge displays/monitors TFT thus showing me disposable income was well spent on the BATC. Disposable income is great, especially when you work hard/smart for it. Kids/wifey like it as well.👌

21 - 31 of 31 Posts