Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a deposit on a 2017 RTLE, but I noticed that it does not have the VTM-4 lock like my wife's 2013 Pilot and I was wondering if the truck is as good in snow and pulling a small boat out of the water with out it. I know it has in place of the VTM-4 lock a button you press for snow,mud,sand conditions. Is there anyway this vehicle goes into actual 4-wheel drive without having the VTM-4 lock. Thanks

·
Administrator
16,015 Posts
Re: 2016 Ridgeline

Congratulations on your Ridgeline purchase and welcome to the ROC, louie!

Like the VTM-4 system in the 2013 Pilot, the iVTM-4 system in the 2017 Ridgeline always starts out driving all four wheels as a proactive measure. VTM-4 LOCK mode was mostly unnecessary and was the source of a lot of misunderstanding and misuse. In fact, excessive clutch wear and/or damage could occur with inappropriate use of the function. Honda made the iVTM-4 system more intelligent (hence the "i" in iVTM-4) to further lessen the need for a "lock" button while adding a few additional modes to optimize the automatic operation for different surfaces. The VTM-4 LOCK mode was intended to be used only if the vehicle became stuck. On the 2017 Ridgeline, turning VSA "off" by holding the VSA button activates "stuck vehicle mode" by allowing more wheel spin in an attempt to free the vehicle instead of cutting all power to the wheels if slip is detected.

Moderator's note: Moved thread to the Second Generation (2017+) forum and revised the title to better reflect the contents of the thread.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Re: 2016 Ridgeline

Congratulations on your Ridgeline purchase and welcome to the ROC, louie!

Like the VTM-4 system in the 2013 Pilot, the iVTM-4 system in the 2017 Ridgeline always starts out driving all four wheels as a proactive measure. VTM-4 LOCK mode was mostly unnecessary and was the source of a lot of misunderstanding and misuse. In fact, excessive clutch wear and/or damage could occur with inappropriate use of the function. Honda made the iVTM-4 system more intelligent (hence the "i" in iVTM-4) to further lessen the need for a "lock" button while adding a few additional modes to optimize the automatic operation for different surfaces. The VTM-4 LOCK mode was intended to be used only if the vehicle became stuck. On the 2017 Ridgeline, turning VSA "off" by holding the VSA button activates "stuck vehicle mode" by allowing more wheel spin in an attempt to free the vehicle instead of cutting all power to the wheels if slip is detected.

Moderator's note: Moved thread to the Second Generation (2017+) forum and revised the title to better reflect the contents of the thread.
Today was a cold, rainy day here in upstate NY. I tried accelerating hard from a stop both on straights and turns. Absolutely no wheelspin whatsoever. First vehicle I have ever had that truly does feel like it's on rails. I'm gonna think that with a good winter tire this truck will be really good in the snow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The modes in the 2017 RL are:

Snow: The idea here is to minimize pedal travel and make launching easier. The throttle input via Drive By Wire (DBW) is made less aggressive, particularly where you first tip-in the pedal. That basically means you’re giving it less gas than you think.

Mud: “Mud” mode has an emphasis on maintaining momentum. Gain increases as you tip the throttle. Torque vectoring is shut off and more power is sent to the rear wheels. The transmission delays upshifts and traction control allows for more wheelspin.

Sand: Basically the same as “mud,” but with all the needles moved even more aggressively. It has maximum rear-bias (a Honda rep told me 70 percent) and an electronically “locked” rear differential.

Above info from: Here's How The 2017 Honda Ridgeline's Trick Off-Roading Modes Work

Looks like standard mode might work best on a slippery boat ramp?

·
Administrator
16,015 Posts
I suggest NOT trying "sand mode" unless you're actually driving in deep sand. A very light touch of the accelerator results in a very large throttle opening! It can be quite startling - especially if you're used to driving around with ECON mode on. Don't ask me how I know. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts