Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the market for a truck, not to haul cinder blocks or a fifth wheel trailer, but something comfortable that I can occasionally bring something home from the garden centre or big box store.

Full sized trucks now are 5/4 scale and are too large to park, and put stuff in the back and remove.

I like the size of the taco and gm twins... Will the RL be the same size as these trucks or slightly larger?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Speculation is that it may be similar in size as the GM twins or Taco. Jan 11th should give us the answer to what you're looking for. A bit of patience.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
...I like the size of the taco and gm twins... Will the RL be the same size as these trucks or slightly larger?
If you read the first "Sticky" post by Csimo for this section, you will know almost exactly what size the Gen2 RL will be. It is built on the Pilot platform with the same drive train and body panels from the front doors forward. Most expect the direct injection engine to be tuned slightly more toward torque, and the suspension has been modified for truck duty. The new Pilot is 78.6" wide (incl. side mirrors), so the RL should be very close to that. Best guess on length is about 3" longer than Gen1 RL, which would be 209.9". You can easily Google the dimensions of the new Taco and GM twins. I believe they are slightly narrower than the new RL. However, the long bed versions of those trucks are longer than the G2 RL. It appears that even the short bed versions are longer than 210".

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The problem with the other trucks to me and may not matter to others is lack of passenger room in the rear. The current Gen 1 Ridgeline has plenty of comfort in the rear passenger seating area not cramped like GM twins or Tacoma. So if Next Gen Ridgeline follows Pilot with interior cabin space increase this will be good. But you could haul some cinder blocks in the Ridgeline for your home projects it won't break. I am sure the Next Gen Ridgeline will improve on many things not a truck to overlook like some might have done with the first Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The current Gen 1 Ridgeline has plenty of comfort in the rear passenger seating area not cramped like GM twins or Tacoma.
I think you could get a real good idea by just looking at the current Ridgeline. They aren't going to go up or down dramatically in capacities from the original version. Based on what you are looking for and the stated intent of Honda with this truck, the Ridgeline should easily meet your needs. The RL is a consummately driveable option with good hauling potential for weekend duties. And it is a good commuter or family hauler if the need arises.

·
Registered
207 Posts
For hauling building materials, the Ridgeline has another major advantage over the Taco and GM twins: The ability to haul 4x8 sheet materials flat on the bed floor. I've hauled a dozen or more sheets of plywood and sheetrock a number of times with mine.

This may not matter to some folks but it sure does to me. The inability to do this with the others is a big fail for me.

I also like the ability to carry a few long boards, etc. by putting them through the sliding rear window. The locking in-bed trunk is also ideal for carrying tools, etc. I'm not a contractor but frequently have some home or camp projects to get materials for, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

There seems to be a lot of positives with the RL, I never thought about the 4x8 sheets of plywood but I have thought about the trunk... Honda had a brilliant idea with the trunk. I also like the multi-opening tailgate and the flip up back seats. Lets hope these are all carry overs into the new truck.

I really want adaptive cruise and other safety features like forward collision warning and lane keep assist. I hope the Honda sensing is available in one of the lower trim levels similar to the Pilot.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Dont worry about it, it will be more car suv type than you can imagine only with a box and kind of ugly thats there trade mark. Still waiting.............

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
too large to park
When I test-drove a F-150, parking it was a challenge. It was also too big to fit in my garage.

The Ridgeline was easier to park because of better sight-lines, and had no trouble fitting into the garage.

Chip H.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dont worry about it, it will be more car suv type than you can imagine only with a box and kind of ugly thats there trade mark. Still waiting.............
That is one of the things I love about my 2011 Ridgeline. I feel like I'm in a comfortable SUV, yet have the ability to haul (and trailer) when I need to. The Ridgeline is the perfect blend of an SUV and pick-up. Other mid-size trucks can't compare IMO.

Personally, for me the F-150s, Tundras, Titans, Rams, etc. are way too big and I feel like I'm driving a locomotive. They are great if you have a need for heavy duty stuff (contractors, ranchers, farmers, etc.). But, my friends who have them are simple homeowners with no need for such bulk. In fact, they look silly driving those locomotives.

As long as the 2nd generation Ridgeline remains mid-sized, has the SUV comfort, conveniences and technologies, in-bed trunk, and double function tailgate, I'll be trading my 1st gen for a 2nd gen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts