Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to memorialize another transmission failure requiring replacement. Within 100 miles of use trans began to show some signs of slip and harsh shifting evolving to major clunk between first and second gear. No towing and mainly highway use. Dealer submitting to Honda for warranty claim.

Love the truck (also had a Gen1), but this certainly puts me on pause on long-term viability.

Have there been any mods to the transmissions of the latest models of the Ridgeline (2020)??

Cheers!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Although the ZF 9 speed is new to the 2020 Ridgeline it’s been around since 2015 in Acura products. Upper trim Pilots have used this transmission since 2016.

·
Administrator
19,513 Posts
Ironically, the 9-speed appears to be more reliable than the 6-speed at this point and its higher torque capacity suggests that it may be more robust. The biggest downside to the 9-speed in my opinion is the inconsistent shift feel and delay when shifting between certain higher gears due to its unusual combination of friction clutches and dog clutches. The transmission is a bit reluctant to downshift at certain speeds when you plant your right foot to pass, for example.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although the ZF 9 speed is new to the 2020 Ridgeline it’s been around since 2015 in Acura products. Upper trim Pilots have used this transmission since 2016.
Ironically, the 9-speed appears to be more reliable than the 6-speed at this point and its higher torque capacity suggests that it may be more robust. The biggest downside to the 9-speed in my opinion is the inconsistent shift feel and delay when shifting between certain higher gears due to its unusual combination of friction clutches and dog clutches. The transmission is a bit reluctant to downshift at certain speeds when you plant your right foot to pass, for example.
Thanks for this, dealership is desperate for sales and pitching an upgrade hard. The numbers are close to being right, but not sure I want to go the same route.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I would let Honda fix the truck. You can always trade up later. I’m sure better deals will be available later this year when the 2021s are released.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are fixing the truck for sure, they are as motivated as I am except in their case it is for the warranty money. I am an engineer with pretty low tolerance (no pun intended) for vehicle issues under 100K and even less so for failures of this magnitude. Likely a blue bird of sorts but I also had some bad brake fluid in this truck when brand new...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just towed a travel trailer with a 4500 lb loaded weight with my 2019 RTL-E. No major inclines on the route. However, it would occasionally rev to 4K rpms before shifting. Should I be concerned? I don’t recall that happening before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just towed a travel trailer with a 4500 lb loaded weight with my 2019 RTL-E. No major inclines on the route. However, it would occasionally rev to 4K rpms before shifting. Should I be concerned? I don’t recall that happening before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There appears to be a few items (fairly rare) around the transmission. Your description doesn't quite fit the TSB for torque converter lock up clutch issue i.e. juttering. A little rev up before a downshift is normal, but a substantial delay in engagement would be something to consider getting checkout. Mine started with low speed issues and very harsh shifts, it was fine on everything above 3.

I am sure I will get pushback from others, but the I can't imagine towing heavy loads with the new 9 speed (despite higher ratings) as it would be working overtime shifting. I love Honda and appreciate their brand and understand scale, but the Ridgeline has "borrowed" a lot of drivetrain from other models that will not see the use scenarios of a truck. Not saying it can't work, but I am sure the margins are tightest on the drivetrain for the Ridgeline specs.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
286 Posts
They are fixing the truck for sure, they are as motivated as I am except in their case it is for the warranty money. I am an engineer with pretty low tolerance (no pun intended) for vehicle issues under 100K and even less so for failures of this magnitude. Likely a blue bird of sorts but I also had some bad brake fluid in this truck when brand new...
Dealers are lucky to break even on warranty pay. It's good they're motivated to take care of things for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello all,

Just wanted to memorialize another transmission failure requiring replacement. Within 100 miles of use trans began to show some signs of slip and harsh shifting evolving to major clunk between first and second gear. No towing and mainly highway use. Dealer submitting to Honda for warranty claim.

Love the truck (also had a Gen1), but this certainly puts me on pause on long-term viability.

Have there been any mods to the transmissions of the latest models of the Ridgeline (2020)??

Cheers!
There is an issue with the electronic module on g2 that needs to be refreshed at the dealer and then the fluid needs to be flushed 3 times.
This stops the surging that happens between 20 an 50 mph

·
Registered
201 Posts

I know you have a chip on your shoulder with your trans failure............but........the numbers do not support your theory. You moved on.........let it go.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an issue with the electronic module on g2 that needs to be refreshed at the dealer and then the fluid needs to be flushed 3 times.
This stops the surging that happens between 20 an 50 mph
I just had that done on my [email protected] When I took it in for service and told them, they didn't even flinch. Test drove and confirmed the surge, did the flush and update. Frisco TX David McDavid Honda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure did. Drives 100% better, even in ECO. I had only put about 2k on it after purchase (at 48k) and didn't really notice it during test drive but after a couple of commutes to work, thought it couldn't be normal. Thanks to this forum, found out about the TSB and took it in. Amazing difference. Maybe that's why previous owner got rid of it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update on my transmission problem. Still occasionally banging from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to first. Its been 5 months of intermittent occasion. Had been in twice to address. Was unable to duplicate and no codes. Was waiting for next oil change at 42k for tans. oil change code. Got it, changed oil without any improvement. Back in 3rd time. This time, test drive showed problem. Have loaner waiting for manager to call with recommendation. They suspect Torque Converter. Will post again soon with conclusion.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,630 Posts
Wow, I can't wait for the injectors to fail, along with the transmission on my 2017. I did purchase the extended Honda warranty, so I probably won't have any issues with either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts