Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a buyer for my failing Jeep Liberty and the time has finally come to pull the trigger on a Used Ridgeline! The two options I have been eyeing heavily are thankfully both still available, but unfortunately that leaves me with a tough choice - hoping for some insight from you guys.

2017 RTL-T Black, 40K Miles, $28,500 OTD - Includes a OEM bed cover, roof rails and cross bars, running boards, locking tailgate, and sport grill already.
2017 RTL-E Obsidian Blue , 60K Miles, $29,775 OTD - Includes no optional accessories that I could tell.

Both one owner vehicles, clean titles, no accidents, well maintained per the carfax reports. Great cosmetic condition and mechanical. Really just a difference of mileage/trim/accessories, so hoping for input!

Uses: Cabin trips, home improvement, road trips, 5 mile urban commute a few times a week when I need to go in office.

What would you guys choose, and why? Personally, I gravitate toward the RTL-E because you can't install an aftermarket Sunroof or Rear Window, but you can a bed cover and Roof Rack. Though an Extra 20K miles gives me pause. Is it worth worrying over? I have no experience with Hondas, only the horrible vehicle known as Jeep Liberty so I could be worrying too much over the odometer difference.

Thanks for any insight or opinions!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Can’t you get a brand new lower trim Ridgeline for 29K?

·
Registered
138 Posts
AWD and towing capacity are other factors to consider. The RTL-T is front wheel drive with a 3500 pound towing capacity. The RTL-E is AWD with a 5000 pound towing capacity. This also gives another 3/4" (or so) ground clearance. I would also guess that the FWD models will give slightly better gas mileage.

Either price seems fair (but not great). A 2019 RT (lowest trim) is $29,990 sticker for a comparison point.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Those seem like good prices to me. If I was buying now and used was available I would be looking at the RTL-E because I wanted AWD, moonroof and rear window slider.

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
AWD and towing capacity are other factors to consider. The RTL-T is front wheel drive with a 3500 pound towing capacity. The RTL-E is AWD with a 5000 pound towing capacity. This also gives another 3/4" (or so) ground clearance. I would also guess that the FWD models will give slightly better gas mileage.

Either price seems fair (but not great). A 2019 RT (lowest trim) is $29,990 sticker for a comparison point.
You bring up a good point, as the RTL-T can be either FWD or AWD. I would assume the vehicle you are looking at would be AWD based upon the price. I would choose the RTL-E. I am still looking to upgrade to the "E" from my "T" . There is one near me also with 60K miles and I want fewer miles, so I am still looking.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As just a general practice, I'd focus on deciding what vehicle you want (which means the trim level / OEM features), then shop for the best example and price for that vehicle.

Maybe just me, but IMO the long-term day-to-day satisfaction comes from driving the vehicle I like more than anything else.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I know this decision has likely already been made, but, if I had to make the choice for myself, I would have to choose the E for one factor alone - the sliding rear window. I use it so often that not having it would be a deal-breaker for me. They're now standard on the 2019 T, so that would be the one I would go after if I were in the market for a brand new truck. If that wasn't a factor at all, I'd take the T in this scenario ALL DAY LONG as long as it was an AWD model. I would put the bed cover and running boards on any G2 RL I were to buy and they're over $1500 to purchase new anyways. Plus, the T has lower mileage and a lower asking price. Most of the E's features I can live without, although the LED headlights are far superior to what you'll find on the T and lower models.

You really need to figure out which features are absolute "must haves" and "would be nice to haves". That will determine the exact trim you should pursue. Then you can really get into your shopping to find the right one that fits your budget and wants.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses everyone! A few things:

- The RTL-T is AWD.

- the RTL-T was “sold” for a week per my conversations with the dealer, then the buyer “backed out”. This makes me weary, but could also be used to get a better price. The lack of a sliding window almost makes this a non-starter for me.

- right before it sold, it got dropped to $26,900. I imagine I could get them down to $26,000 if I walk in ready to buy.

- I wish it was as simple as “waiting for the right car” but I have had my current car posted for sale for months now and finally found a buyer for asking price, which is about 4 times more than the trade in offers I got. The buyer has graciously agreed to wait for a couple weeks for me to find the new car, and that time is running out rapidly as we are completing the transaction tomorrow afternoon. Because of our kids and our work schedules we can’t really go more than a few days with only one vehicle.

- WHY DONT THEY ANNOUNCE 2020 already?!? This is the main thing holding me up from buying a new RTL (aside from the brand-new price premium of course).

- Due to the sliding window factor (Not including even a manual sliding rear window as an option on all trim levels was a fantastically stupid and greedy move on Honda's part) I am actually considering a 2017 Canyon or Colorado. Test drove the Colorado LT a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the ride is. Leather, sliding rear window, apple play, bedliner sprayed in already, 100% rust free and only approx 20,000 miles. It's sounding like I can get it out the door for 28K. There is an identically equipped Canyon for the same price and with similar miles. I used to drive a first-gen Colorado way back when, and the new version actually has me pretty excited...!

My biggest takeaway is how seemingly stagnant the used g2 market is. There are currently only 6 G2s under $30K in my market. In the few months I’ve been watching, it seemed to only ever.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not the only one who enjoys the power rear window slider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not the only one who enjoys the power rear window slider.
That is half the reason I am coming around to the rear window being "mandatory". As much as I'd love to join the club officially, I'm having a very hard time justifying spending $30K on a 3+ year old truck with 60K+ miles.

Thinking I might just get the Colorado or Canyon and trade it in a few years (they hold value well, being a truck) for a 2020 Ridgeline with volume knobs, meaner snout and a rear window :p

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone! A few things:

- The RTL-T is AWD.

- the RTL-T was “sold” for a week per my conversations with the dealer, then the buyer “backed out”. This makes me weary, but could also be used to get a better price. The lack of a sliding window almost makes this a non-starter for me.

- right before it sold, it got dropped to $26,900. I imagine I could get them down to $26,000 if I walk in ready to buy.

- I wish it was as simple as “waiting for the right car” but I have had my current car posted for sale for months now and finally found a buyer for asking price, which is about 4 times more than the trade in offers I got. The buyer has graciously agreed to wait for a couple weeks for me to find the new car, and that time is running out rapidly as we are completing the transaction tomorrow afternoon. Because of our kids and our work schedules we can’t really go more than a few days with only one vehicle.

- WHY DONT THEY ANNOUNCE 2020 already?!? This is the main thing holding me up from buying a new RTL (aside from the brand-new price premium of course).

- Due to the sliding window factor (Not including even a manual sliding rear window as an option on all trim levels was a fantastically stupid and greedy move on Honda's part) I am actually considering a 2017 Canyon or Colorado. Test drove the Colorado LT a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the ride is. Leather, sliding rear window, apple play, bedliner sprayed in already, 100% rust free and only approx 20,000 miles. It's sounding like I can get it out the door for 28K. There is an identically equipped Canyon for the same price and with similar miles. I used to drive a first-gen Colorado way back when, and the new version actually has me pretty excited...!

My biggest takeaway is how seemingly stagnant the used g2 market is. There are currently only 6 G2s under $30K in my market. In the few months I’ve been watching, it seemed to only ever.
Rent a car man. If you rent week to week or month to month it's not expensive.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What breed of dog is that - my neighbor has one nearly identical.
He's a Border Collie, with some Shepard I think, he was a rescue adoption. He is almost 1 year old. He is very active, smart, (suppose to be the smartest K-9 breed) smarter than me. He requires at least two one hour exercise session a day or he goes crazy. He has to have something to do to keep his mind busy, if not he is into something you don't want him into. He's a young persons dog, not an old man like myself. But he is ours, and we love him (most of the time).

Sorry for the thread drift but I was asked. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found a buyer for my failing Jeep Liberty and the time has finally come to pull the trigger on a Used Ridgeline! The two options I have been eyeing heavily are thankfully both still available, but unfortunately that leaves me with a tough choice - hoping for some insight from you guys.

2017 RTL-T Black, 40K Miles, $28,500 OTD - Includes a OEM bed cover, roof rails and cross bars, running boards, locking tailgate, and sport grill already.
2017 RTL-E Obsidian Blue , 60K Miles, $29,775 OTD - Includes no optional accessories that I could tell.

Both one owner vehicles, clean titles, no accidents, well maintained per the carfax reports. Great cosmetic condition and mechanical. Really just a difference of mileage/trim/accessories, so hoping for input!

Uses: Cabin trips, home improvement, road trips, 5 mile urban commute a few times a week when I need to go in office.

What would you guys choose, and why? Personally, I gravitate toward the RTL-E because you can't install an aftermarket Sunroof or Rear Window, but you can a bed cover and Roof Rack. Though an Extra 20K miles gives me pause. Is it worth worrying over? I have no experience with Hondas, only the horrible vehicle known as Jeep Liberty so I could be worrying too much over the odometer difference.

Thanks for any insight or opinions!
I just bought a 1 owner 2017 RTL-E w/23.9k miles for $31,900 from a ChryslerDJR dealer in NW OH. Not certified and no extended warranty, no floormats, only one key fob. Other than that, nice car. Paid a little more than I'd have liked but not many were available.
Original owner was in Canada, noticed a few differences, like outside temp and HVAC temp only shows in Celsius vs Fahrenheit. No setting I've found that allows that to change. If anyone knows the secret to changing that setting let me know.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I just bought a 1 owner 2017 RTL-E w/23.9k miles for $31,900 from a ChryslerDJR dealer in NW OH. Not certified and no extended warranty, no floormats, only one key fob. Other than that, nice car. Paid a little more than I'd have liked but not many were available.
Original owner was in Canada, noticed a few differences, like outside temp and HVAC temp only shows in Celsius vs Fahrenheit. No setting I've found that allows that to change. If anyone knows the secret to changing that setting let me know.
Ohhhhh you got a Canadian RL!! All the winterization features that the US models don't get even as options...

·
Registered
150 Posts
For what it's worth, I was in a similar situation a few years back. I sold my car and needed to pick up another but was on the fence about which to purchase - 2014 RTL or RTL Special Edition. I spoke with two separate dealers and took the two models on test drives a week a piece to see how they fit into my daily grind. I ended up not purchasing the lower trim model as the cost difference didn't justify settling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
IanRTL
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing