Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out pricing on used Ridgeline's at my local large Honda dealer in Denver. Apparently, the 2017 RTL-T has gained "collector status." Why else would this dealer say their "upfront best price" is $38,770 for a 2017 RTL-T with 31,657 miles?
RTLT.PNG

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was checking out pricing on used Ridgeline's at my local large Honda dealer in Denver. Apparently, the 2017 RTL-T has gained "collector status." Why else would this dealer say their "upfront best price" is $38,770 for a 2017 RTL-T with 31,657 miles?
View attachment 398725
Dealers engage in a form of unspoken price fixing. The game is to put an out this world price on a newly acquired trade, so then the next dealer with the same model will follow suit. A high price, increases the perception of value and new shoppers comparing prices may be deceived into thinking this is what the market is. Knowing that buyers are comparing prices, dealers work together to create a false market.
Either that or is was previously driven by Elvis.

·
Super Moderator
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Because they are a no-haggle stealership? So they build-in their profit already into the price hahaha car buying redefined!
You are correct. I have never found a good deal at any Ralph Schomp dealership. I guess there is a price to pay for "no dealer handling."

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love it when they say "our no haggle price". I will give you my no haggle price, then. To be fair to dealers, though, some have started putting pretty great prices on the internet just to get you in the door, then you just have to say you aren't paying any fees.

I have no idea what this dealer is doing, though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Like all dealerships they try to have they're own angle on the sales market. Some prove themselves by fair pricing and excellent service, others do it in a completely different way.

Psychology, some will bite as they will believe the add to be true and accurate,as the dealership only needs one person.............fish on !

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
This could be as simple as transposing the "2" for a "3" in the price. $28k for that truck is more in line with normal asking prices, but still a little high.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't purchased a used vehicle for a while now but my number one rules when buying used has almost always been "Don't buy from a retail outlet". It's far less convenient buying from a private individual but you can get a better idea of how the vehicle was maintained and also how it was driven. But mostly you can get your vehicle at much better price.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I haven't purchased a used vehicle for a while now but my number one rules when buying used has almost always been "Don't buy from a retail outlet". It's far less convenient buying from a private individual but you can get a better idea of how the vehicle was maintained and also how it was driven. But mostly you can get your vehicle at much better price.
All in all, I agree with this. As I've said several times before, I bought my 07 from a private party back in 2010. It was SEVERAL thousand dollars under what similar trucks were going for at dealerships simply because the family of the original owner (passed away) wanted to get rid of it. I had heard stories from the family members of the original owner, how he treated the truck, and what he did with it. I was presented with a stack of maintenance records, a personal tool kit and jumper cable set that he had, and even the original window sticker that he had kept. The truck was immaculate save a few normal dents and scratches and one larger dent in the tailgate. Apparently, Dan was hunting in Georgia, had the tailgate down, and backed up into a tree. The paint wasn't cracked or spidered - it just pushed down on the tailgate a bit. BUT, I had the story of how it happened which, for similar things, you usually have no clue when buying from a dealer. Vehicles are inventory to them and that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer finally came to their senses or they corrected the price. Now this vehicle is listed for $29,561.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
The dealer finally came to their senses or they corrected the price. Now this vehicle is listed for $29,561.
Still way too high for the age and miles. Similar trucks look to have average asking prices of $25-28k. I'm sure they will either have to deal on it to move it or it will sit for awhile after a few price drops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts