Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving back from Western PA tonight I experienced two error messages. The dash indicated a “Transmission System Problem” and “Blind Spot System” failure message. This occurred after about 1 hour of driving on a 4 hour drive. The PRNDL indicator also flashed all the letters.

This is on a 2017 RTL-E with 80,000 miles. I bought it used from a dealer about a month ago.

The truck did not experience any change in performance that I could detect. Most of the trip was made at about 70 miles per hour.

I did read several posts that were similar descriptions. So I am adding this as additional documentation. I’ll report back when I hear back from the dealer, whenever it is that I can get it in!

·
Administrator
15,740 Posts
Based on your symptoms and first dealer's diagnosis, I'd go to another dealer and get a second opinion.

If you bought the vehicle from a Honda dealer and it was sold as Certified Pre-Owned then the torque converter will be covered under the 7/100 powertrain coverage (unless they determine the damage was caused by abuse, misuse, incorrect fluid level, wrong fluid, etc.).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@zroger73

Thank you for the suggestion. I was wondering about a second opinion as an option. I was also thinking if they want to give me a new torque converter under warranty, then why not? But I am sure there could be complications to my reasoning on that one.

I have the warranty paperwork and was told by the Honda dealer I bough it from (1.5 hours away) that it was a Certified pre-Owner vehicle, BUT that has not been confirmed by the local dealer yet, so obviously, I have to wait until Monday to get that confirmed. It was late in the day yesterday and they said it might take until Monday. I can imagine there is a process to go through with Honda Corporate to get approval.

I have to admit that I am surprised that the torque converter would go out at 80K!

·
Super Moderator
5,574 Posts
Here's hoping the dealer provides you with good news on Monday confirming the CPO coverage for the repair.

Reactions: Nittany

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,418 Posts
Update from today’s dealer visit is that the torque converter needs to be replaced! $$$$$

I believe this will be covered under the Certified program power train warranty, but will not be sure until I hear back. I’ll update here when I do!
I am very interested to know what part of the torque converter failed. Would you mind asking the dealership/mechanic and let us know what they say? Did you ever recieved a transmission overheat warning prior to this; torque converters can produce a lot of heat?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am very interested to know what part of the torque converter failed. Would you mind asking the dealership/mechanic and let us know what they say? Did you ever recieved a transmission overheat warning prior to this; torque converters can produce a lot of heat?
Hi!
This was the first warning I received, but I have probably only put 2,000 miles on it since buying it. I will definitely ask for more details when I next talk to them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have a three act play as of this evening:

Act One: Having left a message with the salesman at the original dealership I bought the truck from in December, I have experienced no reply at all. Nada. I am going to wait until I have a few more facts before calling them. They are 1.5 hours from me.

Act Two: The local dealer told me I needed a new a Torque Converter and they promised to call me back on Friday of last week or Monday with an estimate and the status of my warranty. So far, I have not heard back.

Act Three: @zroger73 suggested that I get a second opinion (a good idea). That dealer completed their diagnosis today. They could not determine the origin of my original Transmission message error and advised that I not do anything for now and just monitor it.

So, I am left to ponder my next move...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the saga continues. Went back to the dealer today that told me I needed a new torque converter. They have not heard back a week later from Honda on whether I have warranty coverage....strange. I also asked about what part of the torque converter had gone bad. I was following up on the question posed by @McChizzle - but they said they had only indicated the torque converter was the problem because of the “codes” and “General behavior”, they had not looked at the transmission itself.

Curioser and curioser.

in any event, I will keep on the trail of this dealer’s Honda Warranty question.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Please keep us posted.

Reactions: Nittany

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The saga continues:

Today the dealer that is communicating with Honda Corporate called me said I needed to call Honda to answer a question.....

so I did.

The question was “was the error message on your dash when you brought it to the dealer?” I answered no. The Honda rep thanked me and said they would forward this to the “agent” handling my case...

What, if anything, this means is beyond me as of this evening.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The story continues —-

I received a call today from the Honda dealer who has suggested that I need to replace the torque converter. They need my truck back. For two days. Starting on Monday. A representative of Honda Corporate will come by and assess the vehicle....it was mentioned this may have something to do with the fact that I recently purchased the vehicle. (?)

I am totally baffled by this turn of events... but I will deliver the truck on Monday.

Any predictions? ?

·
Administrator
15,740 Posts
It's hard to say without knowing the code(s).

There are two codes produced by the Blind Spot Information System related to the transmission: B18EA (left) and B1E9A (right). These codes set when the radar units receive an automatic transmission failure message from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) so this why you're getting a Blind Spot Info System Problem message even though there's nothing wrong with the BLIS.

There are dozens of powertrain codes that can cause the gear position indicator to blink, but only a few that do not also result in a "check engine" light and "Emissions System Problem" message. They include:
  1. Incorrect (1st-6th) gear ratio
  2. Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck OFF
  3. Line Pressure Solenoid Valve A Or Line Pressure Switch Stuck OFF
  4. Line Pressure Solenoid Valve A (Low or High) Input
If my memory serves me correctly, 1 usually occurs if there is an internal failure that requires transmission replacement. With 3 or 4, I would expect you to notice a change in the way the transmission shifted such as unusually hard, long, or flared shifts. That leaves 2 which is usually caused by a failed torque converter clutch, but can be caused by one of four valves not working correctly due to a clog or mechanical or electrical failure.

My prediction based on the limited information we have so far is that a new torque converter under the CPO 7/100 powertrain warranty and fluid change will get you back on the road.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@zroger73
It's hard to say without knowing the code(s).

There are two codes produced by the Blind Spot Information System related to the transmission: B18EA (left) and B1E9A (right). These codes set when the radar units receive an automatic transmission failure message from the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) so this why you're getting a Blind Spot Info System Problem message even though there's nothing wrong with the BLIS.

There are dozens of powertrain codes that can cause the gear position indicator to blink, but only a few that do not also result in a "check engine" light and "Emissions System Problem" message. They include:
  1. Incorrect (1st-6th) gear ratio
  2. Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck OFF
  3. Line Pressure Solenoid Valve A Or Line Pressure Switch Stuck OFF
  4. Line Pressure Solenoid Valve A (Low or High) Input
If my memory serves me correctly, 1 usually occurs if there is an internal failure that requires transmission replacement. With 3 or 4, I would expect you to notice a change in the way the transmission shifted such as unusually hard, long, or flared shifts. That leaves 2 which is usually caused by a failed torque converter clutch, but can be caused by one of four valves not working correctly due to a clog or mechanical or electrical failure.

My prediction based on the limited information we have so far is that a new torque converter under the CPO 7/100 powertrain warranty and fluid change will get you back on the road.
@zroger73, thanks! It sure has been a strange journey so far!

Thanks for the information. I did get both the B18EA and B1E9A messages from my scan tool. There were no Powertrain messages that I could detect. But your note will be helpful when I talk with the dealer in Monday.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, latest update. First day of dropping the vehicle off at the dealer (dropped it of last night).

The dealer called and said the car will not be looked at today. They need 24-48 hours for the Honda “Adjuster” to drop by. My sense is that will be Wednesday. ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just found this post today, and want to thank you for providing the ongoing updates. i got the same exact set of warnings about a month or two after purchasing my 2017 RL back in August '19 which had only 26k miles on it. i bought it from a non-Honda dealer but the car is still under original warranty. When i received the warnings, i took it to the Honda dealer who tried to blame it on the fact that I just had a new set of keys made and that the issue was related to someone messing with the immobilizer unit under the dash near the OBD socket (??). Anyway, i left without them doing further work. The warnings show up intermittently (2-3 times a month) ever since, but go away when i restart the truck and i don't experience any change in performance when i get the warnings.

So finally got around to taking the car in to the dealer for routine oil, tire rotation, etc and ask them to investigate the codes again. Just received a call from the dealer saying that the issue could be pointing to a faulty torque converter (like Nittany is experiencing), but that they had to call Honda Corporate in California to talk to their engineering team before proceeding. Of course, the service advisor said he couldn't get anyone from Engineering on the phone because they were all apparently at an "offsite training seminar" and that it may take him a couple days to figure out any next steps. I told him i need the truck back this afternoon and that i will be following up with him in a couple days if i don't hear from him first.

Sounds like i could be headed for a torque converter replacement as well (at now only 29k miles) but will see what kind of story the dealer comes back with after connecting with corporate.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just found this post today, and want to thank you for providing the ongoing updates. i got the same exact set of warnings about a month or two after purchasing my 2017 RL back in August '19 which had only 26k miles on it. i bought it from a non-Honda dealer but the car is still under original warranty. When i received the warnings, i took it to the Honda dealer who tried to blame it on the fact that I just had a new set of keys made and that the issue was related to someone messing with the immobilizer unit under the dash near the OBD socket (??). Anyway, i left without them doing further work. The warnings show up intermittently (2-3 times a month) ever since, but go away when i restart the truck and i don't experience any change in performance when i get the warnings.

So finally got around to taking the car in to the dealer for routine oil, tire rotation, etc and ask them to investigate the codes again. Just received a call from the dealer saying that the issue could be pointing to a faulty torque converter (like Nittany is experiencing), but that they had to call Honda Corporate in California to talk to their engineering team before proceeding. Of course, the service advisor said he couldn't get anyone from Engineering on the phone because they were all apparently at an "offsite training seminar" and that it may take him a couple days to figure out any next steps. I told him i need the truck back this afternoon and that i will be following up with him in a couple days if i don't hear from him first.

Sounds like i could be headed for a torque converter replacement as well (at now only 29k miles) but will see what kind of story the dealer comes back with after connecting with corporate.
@IronWheelz

Thanks for the reply! Very interesting! It certainly reads like a duplicate of my experience.

My truck is still at the dealer today. The “adjuster” did show up, but has not filed a report back to the dealer yet. I will be calling them back tomorrow for an update.

·
Administrator
15,740 Posts
The “adjuster” did show up, but has not filed a report back to the dealer yet.
In 2008, I waited a week and a half for a Honda field engineer to approve replacement of the rear glass that spontaneously exploded in my Ridgeline. He never showed up or returned my calls. My insurance company ended up paying for it. I wrote a letter of complaint to Honda, but never received a response.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In 2008, I waited a week and a half for a Honda field engineer to approve replacement of the rear glass that spontaneously exploded in my Ridgeline. He never showed up or returned my calls. My insurance company ended up paying for it. I wrote a letter of complaint to Honda, but never received a response.

Yikes! That is a crazy story, more so that Honda completely ignored you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dealer called me today and verified that Honda approved my transmission repair and will replace the torque converter for free. Much relieved.

The parts are not in stock, and are on back order, with no time for delivery yet.

I never expected to have to rely on the Certified Pre-owned warranty. But I lucked into it. I bought the vehicle from a dealer because I liked it and it was at a price I was ok with. I did not factor the CPO into my decision.

Turns out my luck held on that day!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts