Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
So the service manager called and said they got clearance from Honda on a new trans replacement.

Was told they should get it within a few days and then get the job scheduled shortly thereafter.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Still no word on the transmission arrival to the dealership. Was supposed to be there in a “few days.” But, it was coming from California apparently.

Still driving it around, but, after some days of listening, I’m detecting a faint, metallic clinking sound in around 2nd gear, when letting off the accelerator or applying it. It’s not pronounced or consistent and may have been there, but I’m not sure if it’s just my hyper-vigilant ear now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Well.

Unfortunately, my original saga may be opening a new chapter!

Now, at nearly 93K miles, I have a VERY hard shift between 2nd and third gear and a similar ‘clunk’ when engaging reverse. I fear that this transmission is DOA. I had a B1 maintenance already scheduled for this Friday, so I just dropped it off at the dealer and said, take a look!

I THINK this might still be covered under the 100K Certified Pre-Owned program, but we will see. They replaced the torque converter under that program, and it sat at the dealer for a week (from memory) and had the whole escalation to Honda Central to get approval…

Sheesh. I sure like this truck, but a transmission problem is a MAJOR issue.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Well.

Unfortunately, my original saga may be opening a new chapter!

Now, at nearly 93K miles, I have a VERY hard shift between 2nd and third gear and a similar ‘clunk’ when engaging reverse. I fear that this transmission is DOA. I had a B1 maintenance already scheduled for this Friday, so I just dropped it off at the dealer and said, take a look!

I THINK this might still be covered under the 100K Certified Pre-Owned program, but we will see. They replaced the torque converter under that program, and it sat at the dealer for a week (from memory) and had the whole escalation to Honda Central to get approval…

Sheesh. I sure like this truck, but a transmission problem is a MAJOR issue.
OK.
Latest update is that the transmission mounts are shot. (?) They need to be replaced at a cost of $900….yikes! Might be under CPO warranty, we will see. Seems like an odd problem?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Still no word on the transmission arrival to the dealership. Was supposed to be there in a “few days.” But, it was coming from California apparently.

Still driving it around, but, after some days of listening, I’m detecting a faint, metallic clinking sound in around 2nd gear, when letting off the accelerator or applying it. It’s not pronounced or consistent and may have been there, but I’m not sure if it’s just my hyper-vigilant ear now.

Got the call today that the trans job was done and could come get it. This, after waiting on the trans for two weeks, then 90% of the service staff being sidelined with COVID and regulations (I think only a few were symptomatic and others just collateral).

I get in the truck and turn it on and start to drive off out of the lot (which has almost no new vehicles and few used) and then decide to check the blind spot system. (The original trans code thrown always included and disabled the blind spot system). I specifically requested on numerous occasions that it be remedied as well and was assured it would be.

So, a rep came out (it was near closing time) and he also confirmed the sensors are not working. Now back in the shop again it goes tomorrow, and I got back in my loaner and drove the 50 minute drive back home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just here to add my data point to this crappy situation.
2017 RTL-E w/ 75,000 miles. I'm a very 'easy' driver. No towing, light hauling. Tranny started slipping and it started throwing Trans + Emissions codes. Towed it to my mechanic and eventually to a transmission shop. Estimate to repair was ~$7k for new parts + $1k labor. To the credit of the trans guy, he felt that was outrageous and steered me away from it. I brought it to a dealer and ultimately traded it in for $18k as-is. Bought a 2022 RTL.

This really put me in a bind and I'm pretty pissed about it. Especially on principle. For the new vehicle they pushed hard on selling me the extended warranty. Their argument was 'it would have covered you in this case'. So basically, 'You should expect our vehicle to massively fail you". Unfortunately I don't know what I would buy instead.

·
Administrator
20,657 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know what I would buy instead.
The 6-speed used in the Ridgeline simply wasn't one of the better transmissions from Honda or any other manufacturer, for that matter. Statistically, you'd have a lower chance of a transmission failure with a Toyota, Mazda, or just about any other brand for that matter...or the ZF-built 9-speed in your 2022 Ridgeline.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts