Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,444 Posts
Although not specifically the same probably as yours Nittany, with overheating issues on the Gen2's 6AT, Nittany's issue, and the fact that most transmission heat comes from the torque converter, I wonder if the torque converter design is not the best for this vehicle. I wonder if they are using the same basic torque converter design for the 9AT in the 2020 model, probably not but it would be good to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although not specifically the same probably as yours Nittany, with overheating issues on the Gen2's 6AT, Nittany's issue, and the fact that most transmission heat comes from the torque converter, I wonder if the torque converter design is not the best for this vehicle. I wonder if they are using the same basic torque converter design for the 9AT in the 2020 model, probably not but it would be good to know.
Unfortunately, i think the Honda (and Acura) 6AT has had these same Torque Converter issues for a long, long time. They likely are just using the same TC as all of their other 6AT vehicles without any special consideration for the potential additional load/work that the Ridgeline would place on the drivetrain. I still have a 2011 Acura TL sh-awd which was the last production year for their 5AT, and it has been plagued with a bad torque converter for a long time. I've continuously try to get Acura to replace it under warranty (they extended the warranty coverage on it to 10yr/100k because of the known problems), but still to no avail. No codes or anything, just a crappy transmission all around, but they just say "seems normal to us". So without any codes as evidence, they are reluctant to say anything is wrong with it.

I got a message back from Honda on my 2017 Ridgeline (29k miles) this morning and at least it looks like they will make good on my situation. They said they have approval to do my torque converter replacement due to the same issue that Nittany is dealing with. But apparently the part is not currently available and may be another 2-3 weeks before they get it and can do the work.

Nittany, please let us know how the work goes on your RL and any post-repair experiences. I always worry when something as significant as this gets repaired/replaced as it seems like they always screw something else up in the process ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Unfortunately, i think the Honda (and Acura) 6AT has had these same Torque Converter issues for a long, long time. They likely are just using the same TC as all of their other 6AT vehicles without any special consideration for the potential additional load/work that the Ridgeline would place on the drivetrain. I still have a 2011 Acura TL sh-awd which was the last production year for their 5AT, and it has been plagued with a bad torque converter for a long time. I've continuously try to get Acura to replace it under warranty (they extended the warranty coverage on it to 10yr/100k because of the known problems), but still to no avail. No codes or anything, just a crappy transmission all around, but they just say "seems normal to us". So without any codes as evidence, they are reluctant to say anything is wrong with it.

I got a message back from Honda on my 2017 Ridgeline (29k miles) this morning and at least it looks like they will make good on my situation. They said they have approval to do my torque converter replacement due to the same issue that Nittany is dealing with. But apparently the part is not currently available and may be another 2-3 weeks before they get it and can do the work.

Nittany, please let us know how the work goes on your RL and any post-repair experiences. I always worry when something as significant as this gets repaired/replaced as it seems like they always screw something else up in the process ?
Will do. I have the same concern, but glad they are at least doing the placement. We will see.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
522 Posts
Sometimes a manufacturer will require a dealership to obtain approval prior to conducting high dollar warranty repairs. This typically happens If a dealership has a history of replacing parts that aren't broken (warranty repairs are audited).

Maybe this is why your dealer had to wait for a secondary approval before pulling the transmission to replace the TC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow. I have the exact same situation. I have a Canadian 2017 touring g2. Bought it with 175,000kms on it. High mileage I know. But still has warranty until 200kms reason for buying it. Thank god it happened while under the warranty. Same issue. Need to have a torque converter replaced although the dealership has said the term transmission replacement so I’ll need to confirm. Sounds like this is more of a deep rooted problem with this transmission and should be addressed by extending the warranty at least. When I asked the local dealer about extending the warranty after the transmission fix they said it was not possible.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow. I have the exact same situation. I have a Canadian 2017 touring g2. Bought it with 175,000kms on it. High mileage I know. But still has warranty until 200kms reason for buying it. Thank god it happened while under the warranty. Same issue. Need to have a torque converter replaced although the dealership has said the term transmission replacement so I’ll need to confirm. Sounds like this is more of a deep rooted problem with this transmission and should be addressed by extending the warranty at least. When I asked the local dealer about extending the warranty after the transmission fix they said it was not possible.
@GTA Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoy this truck, so I hope to get many more years out of it. We’ll see. I usually buy Lexus/Toyota, and a few decades ago I bought a ES300 and the transmission on it went out at 30k. They replaced it and I kept that car until it hit over 275k. I am hoping I get the same magic again! ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a call from the service department and was told it would be not until March that they can do the transmission. I was advised that the transmission is back ordered until early March. Leads me to think this is more of a deep rooted problem with these trucks. ( just my opinion) also it would be a rebuilt transmission instead of a new one. Apparently I should not have assumed I would have got a new one because they only do rebuilt ones. Sarcasm and emphasis added.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got a call from the service department and was told it would be not until March that they can do the transmission. I was advised that the transmission is back ordered until early March. Leads me to think this is more of a deep rooted problem with these trucks. ( just my opinion) also it would be a rebuilt transmission instead of a new one. Apparently I should not have assumed I would have got a new one because they only do rebuilt ones. Sarcasm and emphasis added.
interesting, and thank you for the update. Frustrating to wait for a remanufactured replacement!

it will be a week since they determined they would replace my torque converter, which will now be happening tomorrow. They were unsure when the part would be available, but it came sooner than we thought.

I’ll update once replaced.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
On Friday, January 31, my 2019 Ridgeline's transmission started whining in park, reverse, and neutral at 14,000 miles. I dropped it off at the dealer on Monday, February 3 where it was diagnosed as a failed transmission. A replacement was requested, approved, and ordered that same day. A new (not remanufactured) transmission arrived on Thursday, February 6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On Friday, January 31, my 2019 Ridgeline's transmission started whining in park, reverse, and neutral at 14,000 miles. I dropped it off at the dealer on Monday, February 3 where it was diagnosed as a failed transmission. A replacement was requested, approved, and ordered that same day. A new (not remanufactured) transmission arrived on Thursday, February 6.

Interesting they would provide you with a new and me with a rebuilt? Good on you but perhaps because yours is newer and they failur was more catastrophic? Still I might just dig a bit deeper on this with my dealership I would prefer new obviously .

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Interesting they would provide you with a new and me with a rebuilt? Good on you but perhaps because yours is newer and they failur was more catastrophic? Still I might just dig a bit deeper on this with my dealership I would prefer new obviously .
One could argue that a remanufactured transmission may better than a new one. New transmissions are manufactured and assembled using both robots and humans who repeatedly perform the same, mundane tasks. Humans are generally not as repeatable and accurate as robots and the robots can't see and feel the way humans can.

A remanufactured transmission is likely rebuilt by hand by a human who knows that the transmission failed once - it doesn't need to fail again.

The dealer I'm using tells me that all the 6-speed replacement transmissions they've been getting have been new.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
Depends on the reman job. Parts that are questionable can be an issue. The reman must follow strict cleanliness guidelines or else contamination occurs. Also, on a reman you don't replace all the parts. Just the broken ones so it's not fully new like brand new is. Also, the efficiency of a new building group will ensure all parts are exactly installed the same correctly each time. A rebuilder may build just one or two transmissions of the same type and then move onto several different others so no heavy experience is learned on a single model.

Steve

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My Torque Converter was replaced this week at the dealer. It took from Monday through Wednesday. It was replaced as a warranty repair, so it was at no cost to me. Here is a copy of the diagnosis and part numbers replaced.

The interesting part of the ‘invoice’ was the ‘known issue’ comment. Thanks to Honda’s technical staff/support and whoever first ran into this problem!

Thanks to all for previous observations and suggestions!
5432DF42-73E5-42D9-A87B-C890B4BA9F2C.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting that they only replaced the torque converter in your case and in some of the others they are replacing the transmission altogether albeit some with a new one and some with a refurbished one. What I do notice are inconsistencies with the same problem. Perhaps some problems have been worse than others and perhaps the reason for these different approaches. I am happy they fixed up your truck. What I have been meaning to ask is have you done any towing with it or hauling heavy materials. I have twice have had to rent a truck from home depot to avoid getting close to the maximum payload. But have still used it for lighter trips. So I know it was not me that perhaps caused this problem to my truck more likely the previous owner.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Interesting that they only replaced the torque converter in your case and in some of the others they are replacing the transmission altogether albeit some with a new one and some with a refurbished one.
Dealers can replace torque converters and solenoid valve bodies since those components are "external" to the transmission (they don't require opening up the transmission case). All the other goodies such as gears, pump, clutches, shafts, parking pawl, check valves, bearings, etc. are inside the transmission case and cannot be serviced by the dealer, so the whole transmission gets replaced with a new or remanufactured unit depending on availability.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Interesting that they only replaced the torque converter in your case and in some of the others they are replacing the transmission altogether albeit some with a new one and some with a refurbished one. What I do notice are inconsistencies with the same problem. Perhaps some problems have been worse than others and perhaps the reason for these different approaches. I am happy they fixed up your truck. What I have been meaning to ask is have you done any towing with it or hauling heavy materials. I have twice have had to rent a truck from home depot to avoid getting close to the maximum payload. But have still used it for lighter trips. So I know it was not me that perhaps caused this problem to my truck more likely the previous owner.
I am in no way qualified to guess at what the variables are in the replacement decisions. I do not even know what questions to ask, so I have to go with the diagnosis offered!

i bought the truck used in December, so I do not know what might have been done with it prior to my ownership. It does not appear to have been badly used, but I have no way of really knowing. I can see that the service appointments were kept up to date.

Wish I could offer more information!

I do hope it works as I really like the truck and it does a great job for what I use it for. Light daily driving and basic Home Depot type loads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in no way qualified to guess at what the variables are in the replacement decisions. I do not even know what questions to ask, so I have to go with the diagnosis offered!

i bought the truck used in December, so I do not know what might have been done with it prior to my ownership. It does not appear to have been badly used, but I have no way of really knowing. I can see that the service appointments were kept up to date.

Wish I could offer more information!

I do hope it works as I really like the truck and it does a great job for what I use it for. Light daily driving and basic Home Depot type loads.
Nittany,

Thanks for posting your follow-up and posting your documentation.

I got a call a few days ago from the dealer that the torque converter for my truck had come in, so I dropped mine off yesterday morning at the dealer to get it replaced. The adviser said it would be an all-day affair but they anticipated having it back to me last night. I was skeptical. Adviser called yesterday afternoon and said it was taking longer as they didn't want to rush it, and said it should be done the next day (today). Got a call again first thing this morning and said they ran into an issue where they discovered that some engine/tranny wiring harness had bent connectors and they didn't feel like they could rely on it so they ordered a new one...but that it would now be tomorrow (Saturday) before they finish the work. So while i remain a bit suspicious (paranoid) that some bigger issue is going on, i'll let them keep at it. My service adviser has actually been very responsive and helpful so far and i have a new CRV as a loaner, so if they want to keep replacing older parts (my truck has almost 30k miles) with brand new parts under warranty, i guess i'll let them. (y)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nittany,

Thanks for posting your follow-up and posting your documentation.

I got a call a few days ago from the dealer that the torque converter for my truck had come in, so I dropped mine off yesterday morning at the dealer to get it replaced. The adviser said it would be an all-day affair but they anticipated having it back to me last night. I was skeptical. Adviser called yesterday afternoon and said it was taking longer as they didn't want to rush it, and said it should be done the next day (today). Got a call again first thing this morning and said they ran into an issue where they discovered that some engine/tranny wiring harness had bent connectors and they didn't feel like they could rely on it so they ordered a new one...but that it would now be tomorrow (Saturday) before they finish the work. So while i remain a bit suspicious (paranoid) that some bigger issue is going on, i'll let them keep at it. My service adviser has actually been very responsive and helpful so far and i have a new CRV as a loaner, so if they want to keep replacing older parts (my truck has almost 30k miles) with brand new parts under warranty, i guess i'll let them. (y)
My dealer was pessimistic from the start and gave me an estimate of 2-3 days, Lol. Maybe they tried a few before mine and had similar problems! Best of luck with your replacement!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought I would post an update on my situation since I just picked my truck up from the dealer this morning (it was there for 8 days). My last post indicated I expected to receive my truck back last Saturday (2/15/20) after having the torque converter replaced. Well they called me that morning and said after putting in a new torque converter and replacing a damaged wiring harness, they were getting a new code on the vehicle which they called into Honda Tech who said "replace the whole transmission"! So...a new transmission was shipped to my dealer 5 days later and they just replaced the whole dang thing with just under 30k miles on the odometer of my 2017 Black.

Unfortunately, they didn't share what code it was that led them to the full replacement conclusion and i don't see it in my paperwork. In fact, the paperwork they gave me is very thin on details. They kept almost all of the detailed stuff for their warranty claim back to Honda corporate. I flipped through it all and in hindsight should have taken a photo of all of it. Maybe i can get my adviser to share more details when he is back at work on Monday. I do know that the total warranty claim the dealer will make back to corporate for the work was a whopping $8,885. My invoice was $0.

I only drove the truck 5 miles back to my house so far, and took a long look under the hood and vehicle in my driveway to ensure everything got buttoned-back up properly. I'll post again if i have anything further to share.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I thought I would post an update on my situation since I just picked my truck up from the dealer this morning (it was there for 8 days). My last post indicated I expected to receive my truck back last Saturday (2/15/20) after having the torque converter replaced. Well they called me that morning and said after putting in a new torque converter and replacing a damaged wiring harness, they were getting a new code on the vehicle which they called into Honda Tech who said "replace the whole transmission"! So...a new transmission was shipped to my dealer 5 days later and they just replaced the whole dang thing with just under 30k miles on the odometer of my 2017 Black.

Unfortunately, they didn't share what code it was that led them to the full replacement conclusion and i don't see it in my paperwork. In fact, the paperwork they gave me is very thin on details. They kept almost all of the detailed stuff for their warranty claim back to Honda corporate. I flipped through it all and in hindsight should have taken a photo of all of it. Maybe i can get my adviser to share more details when he is back at work on Monday. I do know that the total warranty claim the dealer will make back to corporate for the work was a whopping $8,885. My invoice was $0.

I only drove the truck 5 miles back to my house so far, and took a long look under the hood and vehicle in my driveway to ensure everything got buttoned-back up properly. I'll post again if i have anything further to share.
Thanks for the update! That is yet another twist in the tale. If you do get any more detail,mit would be much appreciated if you post it.

I wonder how many transmissions American Honda keeps in stock?!

Glad you have a working truck now!

21 - 40 of 103 Posts