Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
While driving back from Western PA tonight I experienced two error messages. The dash indicated a “Transmission System Problem” and “Blind Spot System” failure message. This occurred after about 1 hour of driving on a 4 hour drive. The PRNDL indicator also flashed all the letters.

This is on a 2017 RTL-E with 80,000 miles. I bought it used from a dealer about a month ago.
Is this a trend? My 2017 is in the shop as I write with a ‘”solenoid B” and “emissions” code after transmission locked up in low gear about 60 miles into an 80 mile trip. The truck has 83,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it new as a leftover two years ago. Dealer is quoting $9K as a replacement cost for the transmission. Really? I purchased the extended warranty so it’s covered but they are hemming and hawing about new vs. remanufactured. My position is what kind of truck transmission gives out in TWO years of driving. I never towed a load with it and the heaviest load in the bed was a load of mulch from a garden center four miles away. I’m pretty steamed.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Dealer is quoting $9K as a replacement cost for the transmission. Really? I purchased the extended warranty so it’s covered but they are hemming and hawing about new vs. remanufactured.
If you have a Honda Care VSC, it will be either new or remanufactured depending on availability on a case-by-case basis. The dealer won't know until the replacement arrives. Each replacement transmission from Honda is tagged either new or remanufactured.

If you have a third party service contract, the transmission may be new, remanufactured, or used.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Is this a trend? My 2017 is in the shop as I write with a ‘”solenoid B” and “emissions” code after transmission locked up in low gear about 60 miles into an 80 mile trip. The truck has 83,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it new as a leftover two years ago. Dealer is quoting $9K as a replacement cost for the transmission. Really? I purchased the extended warranty so it’s covered but they are hemming and hawing about new vs. remanufactured. My position is what kind of truck transmission gives out in TWO years of driving. I never towed a load with it and the heaviest load in the bed was a load of mulch from a garden center four miles away. I’m pretty steamed.
I have no idea of the frequency of the transmission issues. It does appear that at least some of these transmissions are having odd early life problems. How common this is I just can’t tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same error codes as the OP. So I took my ridgeline in to my dealer 55k miles. They changed the fluid and said everything is fine now..... me I am nervous, my powertrain warranty ends at 60k I have a hard time believing a fluid change could fix this...

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
167 Posts
I had the same error codes as the OP. So I took my ridgeline in to my dealer 55k miles. They changed the fluid and said everything is fine now..... me I am nervous, my powertrain warranty ends at 60k I have a hard time believing a fluid change could fix this...
How many miles were on the previous ATF, before the change?

·
Registered
4 Posts
All fluids in my ridgeline are changed by the dealer at the recommended intervals. BTW they did not charge me for the fluid. Just the labor

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
All fluids in my ridgeline are changed by the dealer at the recommended intervals. BTW they did not charge me for the fluid. Just the labor
What are their "recommended intervals" and when was your transmission fluid changed?

Honda doesn't publish a distance or time schedule for the transmission fluid - it's supposed to be changed when code 3 appears on the Maintenance Minder based on actual driving conditions. MM codes only appear once the oil life has reached 15%.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
167 Posts
That's too long. I won't let mine go past 20K. If it were my car I'd change it 2 more times in less than a week (If I planned on keeping it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thread totally getting derailed here.... Just saying.. Dealer has been servicing my vehicle about every 6k miles. These codes come up and they change the fluid to fix it... I just don't buy it...

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
167 Posts
My opinion, as a retired Honda tech of 24 years. Also every tech I've worked with changes their ATF on a regular schedule. I intend to continue.
This was some time ago. '08 was when I left the dealership. Our '03 Pilot is around 187K with no issues. I did have to replace 4th gear solenoid (external) a while back. There was a run on them.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
My opinion, as a retired Honda tech of 24 years. Also every tech I've worked with changes their ATF on a regular schedule. I intend to continue.
This was some time ago. '08 was when I left the dealership. Our '03 Pilot is around 187K with no issues. I did have to replace 4th gear solenoid (external) a while back. There was a run on them.
FACT: Mileage-based oil/fluid-based intervals are akin to changing your tires at a fixed distance interval such as every 50,000 miles regardless of how much tread is left. Some owners would be wasting money by throwing away tires that had lots of tread left while others would be driving on tires with the steel belts exposed. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad I could come back to this community and find some answers! My 2017 RTL-E started flashing these two messages (transmission system problem/blind spot info system problem) a couple of weeks ago. Truck seems to run fine otherwise. Dealer wanted to replace the battery, even though the battery tested fine. I drove for a couple of days after taking into the dealer without problem, but yesterday, both messages came back. I did my own battery replacement.....but it sounds like I should pin my dealer down to looking into the torque converter on my Ridgeline as well! 45K miles, but still in the 5yr/60K warranty for powertrain, so I definitely would want to get done now rather than wait and see.....

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
167 Posts
FACT: Mileage-based oil/fluid-based intervals are akin to changing your tires at a fixed distance interval such as every 50,000 miles regardless of how much tread is left. Some owners would be wasting money by throwing away tires that had lots of tread left while others would be driving on tires with the steel belts exposed. ;)
Yes, I understand. On the subject of ATF, though, there are reports of transmissions with symptoms responding to a "Flush", or even a drain & fill. I'm choosing not to wait for symptoms.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Lunar Silver
12 Posts
Yesterday, I received a BSM error on the dash. I just bought the 2020 last month and it only has about 1200 miles on it. I've ordered a OBDII from Amazon so I'll see what is going on with it. I hope it is not related to the TC.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Yesterday, I received a BSM error on the dash. I just bought the 2020 last month and it only has about 1200 miles on it. I've ordered a OBDII from Amazon so I'll see what is going on with it. I hope it is not related to the TC.
I haven't seen any torque converter issues with the 9-speed automatic.

Which scan tool did you order? Many generic scan tools cannot read BLIS codes.

On such a new vehicle, why not let a dealer diagnose the issue under warranty?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Lunar Silver
12 Posts
I haven't seen any torque converter issues with the 9-speed automatic.
That's good to hear.

Which scan tool did you order? Many generic scan tools cannot read BLIS codes.
It is the Ancel AD310. It is probably something I should have bought a long time ago but never did. Even if it doesn't work here, I think it would be useful in the future.

On such a new vehicle, why not let a dealer diagnose the issue under warranty?
I do plan on taking it to the dealer. I guess I was hoping for a potentially easy fix. I just hate the inconvenience of having a vehicle in the shop for whatever reason.
Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update from four weeks ago. Replaced battery myself (with Optima yellow top, not Honda OEM). Would still get the transmission system warning/blind spot warning after driving random distances, but always on the highway at highway speeds (and another interesting twist below....). Back to the dealer--"let's change the transmission fluid" (at my cost) "since you haven't had that service done yet." Nor have I had the code to do that service. Checked for medal shavings in the old fluid, but none. Away from the dealer; drive around a couple of days....warning lights back on. Honda has agreed now to do a warranty replacement of the torque converter. I drop it off tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

There are two strange things that now have me paranoid about this (other than a dealer pulling the motor out of a truck as complicated as this and putting it back in without some other issues arising....). First, there is nothing at all to indicate anything is wrong with any transmission component performance-wise. The truck drives completely normally. Second, and I know this is weird and crazy.....the warnings start flashing at the same place! I live in Maryland outside of DC, and just to try and prove to myself I wasn't crazy (about this, anyway), rather than drive by the spot it happens, I drove the opposite way on the beltway for 20 minutes, turned around, then went past my exit to where it seems to always occur. And yep, lights come on at the same spot. Is there any remote chance in hell that this is some kind of computer glitch triggered by a cell tower or something??!!

In any case, another 2G Ridgeline in for the torque converter......

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Is there any remote chance in hell that this is some kind of computer glitch triggered by a cell tower or something??!!
I guess you'll know after you get your torque converter replaced. :)

On a more serious note, I can't imagine it being any type of RF interference. My instinct tell me that all the conditions that set this code happen to be just right in this particular area that you're driving through.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts