Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
It's possible it's RF but not likely. I had a printer problem that was escalated to me that turned out to be RF from KDKA's 100,000watts of power just on top of the hill above the site. They were inducing RF onto the metal grid below the computer room floor. I was able to measure that RF and once everything was properly grounded the issues went away.

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. By the way, Day 8 of Ridgeline being worked on at the dealer. They tell me, again, it will be done "tomorrow." Today it was damaging the sub-wire cable reel when installing the steering column into the rack and pinion. I'm unfortunately now seriously stressing that this truck will never run right again......and I really don't want to deal with mystery malfunctions for the foreseeable future. :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update on mine. Had it in for the transmission replacement and everything seems better albeit now I am not sure I will ever know how a ridgeline should run. It did have a slight jerk going from 2-3rd gear but that was nominal. Anyways. Service was great took over a week and a half I wasn’t in a rush as I was not driving anywhere. Got the truck back and helped my father with some loads and sure enough something went it turns out they replaced my linkages in the front and didn’t tighten the drivers side enough. Every bump I would hear a noise. Now that’s gone and the shop was very good at having me in and out in no time. My truck now has had the timing chain water pump spark plugs and transmission replaced and it’s a 2017. Hopefully I get some more life out of her yet. I have been considering a travel trailer but unfortunately I am concerned about pulling anything with the truck. Should I be worried especially with the new transmission obviously I won’t exceed the weight limits but that limits the trailers available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Latest update with my torque converter replacement woes. The Honda service shop working on my Ridgeline busted the cable reel assembly behind the steering wheel reinserting and lining up the steering column. So I had to wait an extra day for that. But like GTA pickup, the first thing I noticed when I got it back was a thumping over every bump. Had it back in yesterday, and they are now (thankfully still under warranty as it was related to the torque converter) replacing both front sway bar links. AND--there was grease leaking from the left from axle assembly, so they're replacing that, too. I'm trying to refrain from busting on Honda, and I know that even the best of vehicle lines has a couple of clunkers roll off the line now and again. But this is VERY disappointing, and certainly ranks up there with the worst issues I've ever had on any vehicle....and I've had my fair share of cars and trucks! I still love my truck, and all that being said, hope to keep it for a while once this fiasco is resolved. But if it comes back with more issues this time, I've got Truck #2 already picked out.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Latest update with my torque converter replacement woes. The Honda service shop working on my Ridgeline busted the cable reel assembly behind the steering wheel reinserting and lining up the steering column. So I had to wait an extra day for that. But like GTA pickup, the first thing I noticed when I got it back was a thumping over every bump. Had it back in yesterday, and they are now (thankfully still under warranty as it was related to the torque converter) replacing both front sway bar links. AND--there was grease leaking from the left from axle assembly, so they're replacing that, too. I'm trying to refrain from busting on Honda, and I know that even the best of vehicle lines has a couple of clunkers roll off the line now and again. But this is VERY disappointing, and certainly ranks up there with the worst issues I've ever had on any vehicle....and I've had my fair share of cars and trucks! I still love my truck, and all that being said, hope to keep it for a while once this fiasco is resolved. But if it comes back with more issues this time, I've got Truck #2 already picked out.....
Just as a general update, my current torque converter replacement is still running fine. Given some of my COVID caution, I am not putting on the same mileage, but I have been driving it regularly at highway and local speeds. Fingers Crossed!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Guys,

I read most of this tread before at 34,000 my 2017 RTL-E was doing the same. The dealer opened a case with Honda and the replay came back to replace the torque converter. Warranty covered all. On the ticket I see torque converter, 8 quarts of trans oil, 1 quart of transfer case oil and a 4 wheel alignment. Being an AWD sounds like and axle had to be removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 Ridge is in the shop for a new transmission under warranty. I’ve had these error messages on my way to work in the morning. The next time I start it the errors stop.
Over the last year I’ve had some odd issues. The transmission would jump and the truck would shake. This happened randomly and would stop after a shutdown and restart. I would take it in and it wouldn’t happen. I finally brought it straight to the shop while it was happening. Didn’t shut it off and got the technician to come for a ride. He said it was the transmission or the sensors in it getting stuck. They changed the fluid well before it was due. That seemed to fix the issue till about a week ago when the errors as above started.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
My 2017 Ridge is in the shop for a new transmission under warranty. I’ve had these error messages on my way to work in the morning. The next time I start it the errors stop.
Over the last year I’ve had some odd issues. The transmission would jump and the truck would shake. This happened randomly and would stop after a shutdown and restart. I would take it in and it wouldn’t happen. I finally brought it straight to the shop while it was happening. Didn’t shut it off and got the technician to come for a ride. He said it was the transmission or the sensors in it getting stuck. They changed the fluid well before it was due. That seemed to fix the issue till about a week ago when the errors as above started.
Is your 2017 FWD or AWD. How many miles? Do you tow?

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
2017 RTL-T with 46,087 miles. Just encountered both of these warning lights today. Any advice from those of you who have gone through this. Taking it to the dealer in the morning.
Not really - assuming your transmission is still covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty, let the dealer diagnose the issue and take it from there. Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They refused to do anything with mine because it wasn't stuttering when they test drove it. I would recommend bringing it in when it is stuttering and not let them turn the truck off till they scan it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 RTL-T with 46,087 miles. Just encountered both of these warning lights today. Any advice from those of you who have gone through this. Taking it to the dealer in the morning.
Morning Update: Took it in to Huggins Honda this morning. Of course, the error light was off when I drove it this morning, but there was a code stored in the system so they are going to look into it. I didn't get much info from the rep on the code, but he did confirm the code was related to the torque converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I now have this same EXACT issue as described with my 2018 RTL-E. I have just over 30,000 miles and it's happened 3 times in the last month or so. Looks like I'm headed to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same message on my 2017 Ridgeline with 92000 miles on it.

Actually another message appeared about a month ago saying Emissions System Failure. The message appeared after driving about an hour. The truck ran fine and the next day was not there. I had my mechanic check when I next had the oil changed and he said that there was no record of the error. And it never appeared again.

So the Transmission System Problem message just showed up a couple of days ago. I took the truck in to my dealers and he said he ran a "All DTC Check and pulled P0741 Torque Converter clutch circuit performance OR stuck off" He drained all the ATF and checked for metal debris with a magnet and found none. His notes also say that "per techline the converter should be replaced"

They quoted $4000 for a new converter. The truck has some mileage but has never towed anything or even had a full capacity load in it. I think I want to talk to another dealer. The message doesn't always come on, and, since I had the emissions error earlier I wounder if the problem is in the computer not the torque converter.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Others have had this issue. It's probably the converter. Let us know how it goes.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will get back with what I find. I found this advice educational for me Honda Ridgeline P0741 OBDII Transmission Code Diagnosis | Drivetrain Resource The dealer just said replace the torque converter for $4000.00. I'm looking now for a local transmission shop to do some diagnosis to confirm what the problem is. 92,000 miles seems low for the torque converter to go. I'm pretty easy on my trucks. I sold my previous Tacoma with over 200,000 miles but it was a standard 5 speed with the original clutch.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Does anyone have an idea if this torque converter issue is related to VCM? I believe VCM causes the torque converter clutch to lock and unlock more than if there was no VCM.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
It is possible that VCM is harder on the Torque conv as it is downstream of that engine function and would be the first place that the vibrations would be damped in the fluid and plates of the converter. Also, VCM may or may not unlock more as it would depend on throttle position along with speed, engine temps, and ac use and other engine params. We've seen failures of the converters here from day 1. Pretty much I really believe that most of these RL failures are due to varying quality of parts used. Castings that are inconsistent (think overheating trannys), Torque converters that have "loose" specs which causes failures in lockup asm's inside, just like the wiring harness failures from the get go with water intrusion occurring. Parts make up the sub asm's used and hence the bad parts. Such is life in manufacturing of complicated products. Remember all those bad capacitors in tv's a few years ago ? Also, Dell was burned by that too on MB's they made. The list is endless. Parts screw manufacturers regularly with bad items (like the airbags we all know about). It's a problem that isn't going away. Cost makes it worse cause everyone likes "cheaper".

Steve Good fast cheap. Which two do you want ?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts