Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a request to Honda to address concerns about the towing competency of the new G2 Ridgeline.

Many would-be customers are considering the Ridgeline as a replacement tow vehicle for their current Ridgelines or other vehicles such as mid-size SUVs. (In my case, I had hoped to replace our 2007 Pilot with the new Ridgeline.) However, we need to see several areas addressed to improve the overall towing experience with this vehicle.

Below is a list of suggested improvements to towing competencies for Model Year 2018 or sooner if possible (every year that goes by, more customers will be lost to other makes of mid-size and full-size pick-ups.) These features should be offered as an optional package on any trim level with AWD.

"Max Trailering Package"

1) Heavy duty transmission cooler
2) Beefier/heavier duty brakes/rotors
3) Transmission tow/haul mode with over-drive (6th gear) lock-out
4) Larger capacity fuel tank (+3.5-5 gallons) for greater range while towing
5) Full-size spare tire and below-deck storage
6) Beefier receiver hitch
7) Somewhat wider side-view mirrors with embedded turn signals
8) Rear view camera with trailering hitch-assist
9) "Re-map" ECU for more low end torque
10) Tow rating of 5.5K lbs minimum

More than likely some trade-offs would have to be made. But if Honda could nail 7/10 of these suggestions, the Ridgeline would be a much more attractive vehicle option for those of us with towing requirements in the 3.5-5K lbs range.

An example of an acceptable trade-off is the spare tire and fuel tank requirements. If enlarging the fuel tank rules out a full-size spare below deck, that would be okay as long as the full-size spare was offered in addition to the mini-spare. The full-size spare could be hard-mounted to the trailer, and left behind when not trailering. Most would agree that a larger fuel tank would be a higher priority since fuel mileage will be less than 50% of the EPA rating when towing near capacity.

Another example would be the suggestions for a tow/haul transmission mode, and re-mapping the ECU for more low-end torque. Ideally we'd get both, but one or the other would be a big plus.

Come on Honda -- you can do it!!!

-

· Registered
104 Posts
AWD models already have the transmission cooler and come with a hitch and a 7 pin connector pre-wired according to Honda's spec page.

The transmission also already has a "D4" button that locks out 5th and 6th gear for towing situations according to reviews I've seen and read.

The rest sounds OK - though with direct injection the V6 in the Ridgeline does pretty well for itself with low-end torque...

The biggest things would be a full-size spare, higher tow rating and bigger brakes I think.

My random theory that is totally random is that the 10AT IS coming in MY2018 and there was no financial incentive to change the drivetrain/tow rating from the Pilot when the 6AT was only going to be around for one model year and they're only going to build like 25,000 AWD Ridgelines...so the 10AT equipped Ridgelines will have a 6K+ tow rating. Even if the 10AT doesn't hit until MY2019 the point still makes a bit of sense.

· Registered
164 Posts
The Honda Ridgeline was Engineered for people like me. I occasionally will tow a trailer once a year and then it is unlikely to weigh more than 3000 pounds.

The Ridgeline is engineered for people who want primarily a piece of transportation for around town that has the capability of hauling something in the bed of the truck and if needs be, and to tow a trailer of three or 4000 pounds if necessary.

I would think by now that people would understand this vehicle is for the vast majority of people who just want transportation with the occasional need for a pickup truck bed and the ability to tow a light trailer

It looks to me like the redesign Ridgeline is going to make an excellent truck for the folks it was intended for.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
The Honda Ridgeline was Engineered for people like me. I occasionally will tow a trailer once a year and then it is unlikely to weigh more than 3000 pounds.

The Ridgeline is engineered for people who want primarily a piece of transportation for around town that has the capability of hauling something in the bed of the truck and if needs be, and to tow a trailer of three or 4000 pounds if necessary.

I would think by now that people would understand this vehicle is for the vast majority of people who just want transportation with the occasional need for a pickup truck bed and the ability to tow a light trailer

It looks to me like the redesign Ridgeline is going to make an excellent truck for the folks it was intended for.
Agree 100%. But people will still try to turn this truck into something it isn't. FMC's are the worst. The good news is after a little bit of time they move on to complaining about something else. Honda decided long ago to carve their niche and have a different product. For them, better to have a niche of 1 instead of enter the niche of 20, producing a truck like everyone else. Tow numbers like others means body on frame, and crap handling like every other truck out there.

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AWD models already have the transmission cooler and come with a hitch and a 7 pin connector pre-wired according to Honda's spec page.

The transmission also already has a "D4" button that locks out 5th and 6th gear for towing situations according to reviews I've seen and read. ....
There is some conflicting information out there about whether the HD transmission cooler is standard on AWD models. If it is, great. If not, all I'm saying is that a Max Traliering Package option should include it.

The "D4" is better than nothing, but the 4th gear in the 6-speed auto is the same size as the 3rd gear in the 5-speed auto. Operating the 5-speed in "D3" for extended periods of time while towing on the highway results in high revving and high engine temp. The inability to lockout the top gear (5th on the 5-speed or 6th on the 6-speed) while still having the next lowest gear available is the issue.

For the rest of you nancies who don't care about towing -- get lost! Some of us would like this option available in the Ridgeline and having it available will not in any way change how you appreciate the Ridgeline -- you don't have to purchase the "Max Trailering Package" nor will having a Max Trailering Package available change the basic Ridgeline.

We've heard your arguments ad nauseum about why you don't need more towing capacity and why towing isn't important to you. Good for you. Go start your own thread and ask Honda to find more interior storage for your purse.

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Come on Honda -- you can do it!!!
I don't tow much, but what you're asking for seems modest to me (5.5K max rating). We've been told the G2 platform can easily handle it, and offering an optimized towing package would not compromise any of the performance and handling qualities of the G2 for other buyers.

IMO, it comes down to how serious Honda is about expanding the RL niche, something they keep saying they want to do. In the end, though, I think the ever-changing market will determine where they take this truck going forward. If they reach their sales targets with the G2 as currently equipped, they will have little incentive to tweak towing or off-road capabilities.

And I have a feeling that what anyone says on this forum will make little difference to their strategy. But that won't stop us from trying! :act051:

· Registered
408 Posts
They may not pay much attention to what is said on this forum, but they will understand sales statistics vs. their avowed competition; i.e. Toyota Tacoma and the GM Twins - which they ponied up beside the new Gen 2 in San Antonio. The new Gen 2 is soooo close to literally blowing away this competition in total - if they might increase the towing capacity to simply match what the Taco and the Twins offer. Because otherwise, the Ridgeline is significantly better in: technology, drivability and comfort as a daily driver, unique storage features, etc., etc., etc. . . . So if they could find their way, through whatever design/engineering methodologies that may be easier or closer than we might now realize, the Gen 2 would suddenly be the truck of choice for a significantly larger market grouping than they now can reach. For those that do not tow anything heavier than ATVs, jet skis or more modest trailer loads, the Gen 2 as it currently stands is surely adequate. But for those of us who want "Ridgeline" comfort and technology and space utilization AND garage-ability - while being able to tow safely a 20' - 25' travel trailer or a medium size boat, for instance, a more robust Ridgeline is the way to go. If that were to be so, the competition would have little to say in response, and Honda would have the opportunity to significantly enlarge their sales vs. the Tacoma and the Twins or whatever else is coming down the pike for the foreseeable future. So we will see what actually gets their attention.

· Registered
9,975 Posts

Agree wholeheartedly, exception being they (Honda) are after a small niche of well to do younger folks that want the E and Black editions. I might consider an E but do not need or want a boom box in the bed. Leaving the T & base RTL missing the sunroof and sliding back window is criminal.

· Registered
408 Posts
Sounds like you NEED an F150 or similar.
Perhaps, since we are at the upper limit of the stated towing capability. But "Garage-ability" and lack of the in-bed trunk and my wife's comfort level in general driving/parking would be sorely missed if that is the way to go. As I have mentioned in a different thread, even the Gen 1 tows like a much more capable vehicle than it is legally limited to do. I base that on my experience of years of towing with other vehicles and many types of loads - some of which one knows when you are in a very marginal situation. Towing our travel trailer (loaded=approx. 4500 lbs.) with our Gen 1 offers none of those marginal experiences. Makes me suspect that the Ridge is over-engineered vs. the official rating. But, I wish there was a stated, more robust towing towing limit that would simply put it on a par with the Tacoma and GM Twins. Otherwise, yeah, the F150 - or similar - becomes the pathway.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
We've heard your arguments ad nauseum about why you don't need more towing capacity and why towing isn't important to you. Good for you. Go start your own thread and ask Honda to find more interior storage for your purse.
No need to get nasty. Some of us are just discussing this with level headed comments. People asking for more towing capability out of a compact, unibody truck........well think about that for a minute. That's like the margin of the margin and asking for too much out of the platform. If you need that kind of towing power you really should move up to a full size truck.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
People asking for more towing capability out of a compact, unibody truck........well think about that for a minute. That's like the margin of the margin and asking for too much out of the platform. If you need that kind of towing power you really should move up to a full size truck.
disagree. Nothing inherent in the uni-body prevents it from towing more. based on only seeing the pictures, the hitch looks like the least capable link in the towing chain on the new rl. I think up coming towing tests will confirm the rest of the truck...can the truck tow more with the current drive train? Front and rear disks sound better than what people have towed with in the past so...is it the hitch?

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Or the Colorado diesel. 7700 lb towing capacity. Plus the center console looks large enough to hold Nancy's purse. ;)
this might seem to be contradicting what I said about the "best in class" discussion but it is more of a tech argument.
A 1959 B model mack quad box is in the same class as a 2016 Kenworth with an 18 speed allison automatic, but they are no where near the same trucks. The 20016 kenworth is the Honda ridgeline and the 1959 MAck is the 2016 GM. Sure the GM has tech in it, but it seems like old tech based on old ideas.
I think the new Honda Ridgeline is the future or pickup trucks.There is no reason Honda could not get the jump on all the other pickup manufactures and make a unibody PU that can tow a 20,000 lbs fifth wheel or boat and get great MPG. Just do the calculations and make it happen.
May 14th, 2016
You heard it first HERE! I have come up with the new name, The Honda Summit, to honda at a compensation package (for me, or my heirs) to be determined at a later date, before the truck goes on sale. The Ridgeline is the midsize truck, the Summit is the full size truck. The Honda Twins. Your Welcome.

· Registered
34 Posts
Funny thing to me is that we used to have a FJ Cruiser and it had a 5,000 lb towing capacity that I thought was impressive. When I told folks they were equally impressed. Sometimes I wonder about all the belly aching about the G2's rating as most folks will be just fine with it.

Attached is a manly 5k load. That is plenty for a RL owner.

Attachments

· Registered
164 Posts
We have been waiting what seems like a very long time for the new Ridgeline. I think we should all step back take a deep breath and let the official reviews answer a lot of questions.

During the long wait I did a lot of research on YouTube about the Ridgeline first edition. Some of the videos that I viewed were quite impressive. When you consider the type of vehicle that Honda engineered and the market it was trying to reach I think it's capabilities are quite impressive. I know it has way more capabilities than I will probably ever need. And the new 2017 model has an impressive array of safety features that I wish I had on my 2013.

They could have invested the inbed audio in something else however.

I will finish with this point that I have made before and others have agreed with. The fact that I can park my Ridgeline in my garage with enough room to walk around it is an incredibly important feature to me. The ride and handling capabilities more than make up for whatever "off-road", "Hauling" and "towing" capabilities my vehicle lacks!

"To each his own" pretty much covers all the bases, as far as I am concerned!

I hope everyone enjoys there Ridgeline, as much as I enjoy mine!

· Registered
408 Posts
No need to get nasty. Some of us are just discussing this with level headed comments. People asking for more towing capability out of a compact, unibody truck........well think about that for a minute. That's like the margin of the margin and asking for too much out of the platform. If you need that kind of towing power you really should move up to a full size truck.
To the point I have made several times . . . the GM Twins and the Tacoma, in the same class as the Ridgeline, manage to achieve a much higher tow rating though not full size trucks. If the Ridgeline's tow rating were to be bumped up to a more robust level - in a competitive range - Honda would have a slam dunk success across the board in this class.

· Registered
189 Posts
The problem is that everything is a compromise.

What and how much of it are you willing to give up to get that 7K tow rating?

How much harsher of a ride? How much lower gear ratio/higher rpm/lower fuel mileage at freeway speeds for the 90+% of the time you aren't towing?

· Registered
153 Posts
Nothing wrong with the op's approach or intent in this thread. Seems reasonable enough. However in the short time I've been using ROC the towing debate sure has become mind numbingly loud. There's tons of choices for people who highly value towing prowess. Obviously those choices come with trade offs. It has me wondering if people also hang out in the F150, Silverado, Tundra threads bitchin, moaning, begging, and pleading over ride quality, gas mileage, available tech, road noise, excessive body roll, yada yada....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.