Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
801 Posts
Take the deal. Not a lawyer but I don’t think the warranty act applies to a used car purchase. Contact the state motor vehicle department. Maybe a sales tax refund policy applies for cases when a vehicle is returned.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
1,308 Posts
They've offered to buy back the truck for what I paid plus the state registration and license fees, which is about $36,800. That means I would still be out $1100 for the state sales tax, and the loan interest and insurance I've paid on it.
If it had been a one-off problem with clear diagnostic codes and a known fix, that's one thing, But the fact that this issue is reoccurring after multiple attempts from the dealer to fix it would be the biggest concern to me. Losing just over a thousand to trade it for a new one seems like a good opportunity, especially if they are willing to give you a good price on a new Ridgeline (no more than MSRP, no add-ons, etc).

Although a Sport has fewer features, I'd take reliability over features any day. It just comes down to whether you want to spend more for power seats, etc.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news. The fact that the dealer has offered to buy the truck back is both good and bad news. Bad because they are not confident they can fix the issue, but good that they are not planning on fighting you tooth and nail to buy the truck back.

You have legal protections that you are already aware. Consider there is money and there is time. I have no doubt you are in a good position to get your Money back in full. Will you be completely restored? Probably not, but it depends on how much time you want to invest. For a dealer, their opening buy back offer is pretty good. They sense they are in a weak position if you escalate. My thought is you should be fully restored from a cash standpoint. The dealer should be able to make you whole again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Very helpful thoughts. It's now 5pm and no one from the dealership has called today to update me, which doesn't seem promising. Tomorrow I'm going to see about what new Ridgelines they have coming in.

I'm also considering just getting an older Tacoma with less computerized crap. That's really the size truck I'd prefer. JBobber, I do need to tow stuff: the reason I bought the Ridge and sold my 1999 Dodge Dakota is that I had purchased a small travel trailer that my 4 cyl. Dakota wouldn't happily pull. Also, I haul kayaks and have two rental properties, so I'm often getting loads of mulch, lumber, etc. My truck is a secondary vehicle, but I've loved having it. But yes, seems like the CR-V is a more reliable vehicle. My primary vehicle is a 2016 Camry. That's about the ideal level of technology from my perspective, and it's been bulletproof.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very helpful thoughts. It's now 5pm and no one from the dealership has called today to update me, which doesn't seem promising. Tomorrow I'm going to see about what new Ridgelines they have coming in.

I'm also considering just getting an older Tacoma with less computerized crap. That's really the size truck I'd prefer. JBobber, I do need to tow stuff: the reason I bought the Ridge and sold my 1999 Dodge Dakota is that I had purchased a small travel trailer that my 4 cyl. Dakota wouldn't happily pull. Also, I haul kayaks and have two rental properties, so I'm often getting loads of mulch, lumber, etc. My truck is a secondary vehicle, but I've loved having it. But yes, seems like the CR-V is a more reliable vehicle. My primary vehicle is a 2016 Camry. That's about the ideal level of technology from my perspective, and it's been bulletproof.
Roger that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update. The dealership has offered to make me whole with full refund including all taxes paid. They were unable to find the problem with my 2018, reached out to Honda Engineering in California, and said there is a history of issues with this Ridge (which didn't show up on the Carfax as a continuing issue). But they have no Ridgelines on the lot for me to buy, and only one Obsidian Blue RTL coming...sometime. Still, I'm super grateful that it wasn't a huge fight for me to get them to offer to make me whole. It may be of help to someone else in a similar position to know that I wrote an email letter to the sales manager detailing the three failures and attempts by their service department to fix, that I have had essentially no use of the vehicle since purchase, and saying that the letter constituted legal notice for purposes of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The sales manager also knows that I'm an attorney, so that might have been helpful.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
801 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like someone screwed up approving CPO for that vehicle. As an attorney, can you briefly explain how MMWA applies to a used vehicle purchase? I thought it only applied to new vehicle purchases. Does it apply because Honda provided a warranty as a CPO vehicle or because the vehicle you purchased was still covered by the original new car warranty?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Good deal, don't be dissuaded from buying another RL, used or new. Generally they are solid trucks. Yours must have been used as a U-Boat. Sometimes you just roll snake eyes. Good luck next time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Cbayman requested some info on Magnuson-Moss, and it may be helpful for others. I'm going to post a bit of info here, and then create a new thread about Magnuson-Moss, because it may be helpful to others.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was passed by Congress in 1975. It is the act which set the model for the state lemon laws. However, where state lemon laws typically cover only new vehicles, Magnuson-Moss (MMWA) covers the obligations of sellers whenever a warranty--and it can be an implied warranty--is provided. It doesn't matter if the item is used or new, if there is a warranty offered, MMWA provides obligations as to the meaning of various terms, disclosures that the seller must make, and remedies if the seller fails to fulfill the warranty. While many states' lemon laws provide the seller with four attempts and failures to repair, my understanding is that MMWA's standard is three times. The most important provisions of MMWA are that it:
1. Applies to new and used goods.
2. Specifies that the consumer should be made whole for all costs of the transaction, including sales taxes, finance charges and ancillary costs minus the value of use that the buyer obtained; and
3. Provides for attorney's fees, court and other costs of litigation to a successful plaintiff. This means that a strong claim should enable a buyer to find an attorney who will take the case, and it provides the seller with increased potential economic payout if the seller fails to settle equitably.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
stevem5215, it actually is so painful to me that my Ridge hasn't been able to fixed. I know crushing it will stop someone else from suffering with it. But it is such a beautiful vehicle. What a waste. But it was really fortunate that I didn't get into a wreck last week when it went into limp mode in the middle of the turn onto a busy four lane road. I don't want to be in that position again, or have anyone else in that position.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
I agree 100%. And a lot of times when vehicles are like this one they do send them to the crusher. Especially unsafe ones.

And FTIW , I love my 17' Ridgeline. I've had some little issues with it but it's not been repaired by the dealer at all and I am completely happy with my purchase. It is now heading to 6 years old so you can get a good one.

Good luck ! We'll be watching if you go for another Ridge !

·
Registered
148 Posts

I see the towing dilemna. Get the newest Ridgline, and sell it before 60,000 miles, unless anyone here on this forum can advise on the 9-speed transmission reliability/longevity.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Update. The dealership has offered to make me whole with full refund including all taxes paid. They were unable to find the problem with my 2018, reached out to Honda Engineering in California, and said there is a history of issues with this Ridge (which didn't show up on the Carfax as a continuing issue). But they have no Ridgelines on the lot for me to buy, and only one Obsidian Blue RTL coming...sometime. Still, I'm super grateful that it wasn't a huge fight for me to get them to offer to make me whole. It may be of help to someone else in a similar position to know that I wrote an email letter to the sales manager detailing the three failures and attempts by their service department to fix, that I have had essentially no use of the vehicle since purchase, and saying that the letter constituted legal notice for purposes of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The sales manager also knows that I'm an attorney, so that might have been helpful.
Thanks for that. Good perspective.

·
Registered
5FPYK3F52HB022376
108 Posts
I would take there offer and get out of it. The pricing your getting for a new one is quite high can you hold off on getting another car till the fall? I have a feeling new and used car prices are going to be much lower soon.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would take there offer and get out of it. The pricing your getting for a new one is quite high can you hold off on getting another car till the fall? I have a feeling new and used car prices are going to be much lower soon.

Chris
Hey, Chris, and thanks for the advice. I've got a travel trailer that's been sitting in the driveway since October for lack of a tow vehicle. A couple of planned trips already cancelled because of the 2018 RL's problems. I'm rather eager to get out there! I'm inclined to take the blue '22 and move on. Do you think I could save significantly by waiting ... how long?

There's a Obsidian Blue '22 RTL that they've put my name on (sure wish Radiant Red came with a grey or beige interior!) that is awaiting transport. This dealership charges MSRP, $550 for mats, mud flaps and some other nonsense, and $799 for 'doc fees'. My experience is that this dealership actually adds fewer baloney add-ons than most others in our area.

I've been told they are going to credit me for all my costs of the 2018, which will include insurance, interest, and I'm going to try to get my costs (not much, about $100) of fees I lost from having to cancel trips. If I go with this dealership, all of that will be counted as 'trade in' and applied against the cost of the new truck, saving me about $1000 in state sales tax. (The sales tax is based on the difference between trade-in and new vehicle cost.)

What would you do?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts