Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck for about 18 months. Been using the same Google Pixel 1 for the entire time. As time passes, the interoperability of the phone with the truck system has deteriorated. The truck always gave me a "unknown device" message when I plugged the phone in but always seemed to work. Then it started (occasionally) with "Loading" but never loaded - just hung. Now we're up to "No device" or somesuch most of the time. or, if it loads, it will simply stop communication with the phone while in operation. I'm guessing that as the phone updates it gets farther away from something the truck can deal with.

I use the phone primarily for Waze and podcasts. I refuse to put up with the RadioShack Color Computer graphics that the Garmin nav app provides. I know the Owner's Manual lists "compatable" phones - but given Honda's BS electronics, that's more a history book than a reliable guide.

I really like the truck other than the Atari grade elctronics. I also really like the Google phone. However, it's easier to change phones than to change trucks (although I've gotten sufficiently frustrated to consider it).

So - would some of you be kind enough to tell me 1) Does your phone work well with the Honda; and 2) If so, would you give me the make/model?

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ve got an iPhone X Max, and occasionally the HU will display “no device connected”, take a little (annoying) time to load, or load a playlist and just set there hung up. I will have to go forward or back a track for it to start playing. Especially when using a streaming service. (Spotify)

The good news is the Bluetooth works well off of any of my phone’s playlists.

I’m not sure you would get 100% satisfaction even if you upgraded your phone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Pixel XL (1st gen). I have similar issues as you and have had my BE a little over 7 months. The weird issue lately is that it looks like it connects, I use the screen to call a previously called contact, but the call is only on the handset. I pick it up, talk and then when I end the call, the head unit is stuck in limbo thinking there is a call. The only way to get it back is to turn the truck off and back on to reset the HU.

This seems to have happened after I changed to the new Android Auto (a couple weeks). I have tried deleting the pairing and repairing it with some success. Yesterday, I got the upgrade to Android X, and the first time I used it after the update it was flawless. I am hopeful that perhaps this helps it out. I will be looking at the Pixel 4 XL later this year if there is a black Friday deal like they had last year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Seth - I'm an electronic dumazz - how did you get Android X? Can't seem to find a download function on my Android Auto.
Sorry, I mentioned two different updates.

Android X is the newest OS for the phone. To check for the update, go to settings, scroll to the bottom and select System, then click Advanced at the bottom and click System update. They roll these out in waves, so it may take a couple days or weeks before everyone gets the change. My phone actually had a notification at the top yesterday saying it was available. Afterwards on that update screen, it shows the update was originally released Sep 5th.

The other is Android Auto's new version. While not connected to the truck, open the Android Auto app. Click the three lines in the top left to get to its settings. The first thing should be Try the new Android Auto. If you turn that on, you can test drive the newer layout/version that will eventually roll out to all phones. You can change back and forth between the two to see if you see any difference while is not connected to the truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know your frustration all too well. I use Android Auto everyday and have used these phones: Galaxy S8, S9, S10, Note 10 (current phone), Essential PH-1, iPhone Xr (gawd is CarPlay awful), Pixel 2 and 3. Fair to say I switch phone often.
The Essential phone gave me all kinds of trouble, all of the other have been pretty seamless.

The very first thing I would try is a new USB cable, maybe even try a couple different ones. Also make sure you are plugging directly into the dash USB port, no extension cables or splitters involved. Even if yours doesn't show any signs of wear it may be wearing internally, and this would cause more connection issues over time. The updates to Android X and the new Android Auto (a great update visually from previous version) should also help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had my truck for about 18 months. Been using the same Google Pixel 1 for the entire time. As time passes, the interoperability of the phone with the truck system has deteriorated. The truck always gave me a "unknown device" message when I plugged the phone in but always seemed to work. Then it started (occasionally) with "Loading" but never loaded - just hung. Now we're up to "No device" or somesuch most of the time. or, if it loads, it will simply stop communication with the phone while in operation. I'm guessing that as the phone updates it gets farther away from something the truck can deal with.

I use the phone primarily for Waze and podcasts. I refuse to put up with the RadioShack Color Computer graphics that the Garmin nav app provides. I know the Owner's Manual lists "compatable" phones - but given Honda's BS electronics, that's more a history book than a reliable guide.

I really like the truck other than the Atari grade elctronics. I also really like the Google phone. However, it's easier to change phones than to change trucks (although I've gotten sufficiently frustrated to consider it).

So - would some of you be kind enough to tell me 1) Does your phone work well with the Honda; and 2) If so, would you give me the make/model?

Appreciate the help.
Plug in before starting the truck.

I use an iPhone Xr and it has worked well with my 2019. I use Google maps because I drive off-road much of the time and the maps are much better in Google than the on-board Garmin for gravel and dirt road use. However, I have had to switch to on-board maps if I am away from cell towers for more than a day. Google downloads map data as-you-go so it is possible to out-run what you have in the phone. Occasionally I have to run blind until I get closer to civilization.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tod - I have already switched cables and plugged directly into USB port - all to no effect.
Rope - already tried all of the iterations of plug in prior to and after start.

So, phone is fully updated, new cable just in case - i'll try it out on the ride home.

Appreciate the input gents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I swapped the cable for a new one, insured I was plugged in directly to the dash usb port, updated Android Auto and Waze to the latest issue, and - Voila! - the system has worked like a champ for the last 2 days. For the first time ever, the Honda head momentarily registers "Pixel" in its startup sequence.

Thank you all again for your time and effort to help me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The just released iOS 13.1 works great with my Ridgeline. CarPlay has had a major update and includes Waze, Google Maps and a bunch of other third party Apps. Multi-tasking is also remarkably improved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts