Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front parking sensors are quite laughably inconsistent for me. For instance, when in D and slowly approaching a bush or other object like a light standard at the head of a parking space, the system ignores that object, sometimes completely. But then when you place the truck in reverse without moving, it blares a warning of that same object in front of the truck. Essentially, the system fails to warn me of an approaching object when I need it most, but warns me when I am then moving back away from that same object.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a work around?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The front parking sensors are quite laughably inconsistent for me. For instance, when in D and slowly approaching a bush or other object like a light standard at the head of a parking space, the system ignores that object, sometimes completely. But then when you place the truck in reverse without moving, it blares a warning of that same object in front of the truck. Essentially, the system fails to warn me of an approaching object when I need it most, but warns me when I am then moving back away from that same object.

There's only two sensors in the front bumper, one on each end. nothing in the middle unlike the rear that has four across the bumper

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
My RTLE slams on the brakes at highway speeds when the sensor sees a shadow being cast down from a sign or entering a shaded under pass. This makes a safety feature un-safe. Going back to honda for the 5th time with 1300 miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My RTLE slams on the brakes at highway speeds when the sensor sees a shadow being cast down from a sign or entering a shaded under pass. This makes a safety feature un-safe. Going back to honda for the 5th time with 1300 miles.
I thought the sensors that are in the front of the truck are a radar in the grill and the camera mounted in the windshield. Maybe the camera in the windshield is what is detecting the shadow. I say this because of the following:

When our truck was brand new, we too had a brief strange incident. I was gradually approaching slower traffic in the middle lane of a three lane setup on I-5. There was a tall 18 wheeler on the right, shading the roadway in the afternoon sun and a smaller truck in the fast lane to my left. My truck braked fairly sharply and I counteracted by pressing, then backing off of the accelerator, which turned off the braking condition. When all this happened I got a "brake" warning on the dash. It must have thought I was approaching the vehicle in my lane too fast without braking based on my proximity to the 18 wheeler in the right lane (perhaps the shadow). It hasn't done that since and we have over 6,000 miles on our truck.

The good news is, the automatic emergency braking feature helped us avoid a serious accident on a busy stretch of I-5 in Tacoma. As we were towing our Casita Travel Trailer south in the slow lane at about 55 mph, a box van without working brake lights in front of us braked suddenly for what turned out to be an idiot driver who inexplicably went onto the shoulder in front of him, that driver then veered back to the slow lane to avoid a stalled truck with trailer on the shoulder. Before I could react, our truck braked sharply on its own. I was impressed! I may have been able to brake in time without the emergency braking feature, but it would have been much tighter given our trailer's 3500 lbs weight pushing behind us. This is exactly why I bought a truck with the automatic emergency braking feature!

I do hope your dealership is able to determine what is causing the sensitivity issue in your truck. Honda may be able to make adjustments to the software that will benefit you directly and perhaps all of us?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever resolve???

·
Registered
443 Posts
I thought that I was getting to close to the front concrete wall before the sensors go off, but when I get out i'm still 2ft away, the front goes takes some time to get used to for distance control when parking. I feel the rear sensors are more sensitive

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought that I was getting to close to the front concrete wall before the sensors go off, but when I get out i'm still 2ft away, the front goes takes some time to get used to for distance control when parking. I feel the rear sensors are more sensitive
I do think the front sensors are a little less sensitive when approaching a solid wall. They seem to be fine for objects more toward the sides.
Rear sensors haven't saved me yet but that unseen object is waiting for me out there somewhere. o_O

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever resolve???
No, I never pursued it with the dealership. I have found the front sensors to be consistently inconsistent which means if I bring the truck in, they keep it for the day and then say they cannot duplicate the situation. Another thing I have discovered is, the front parking sensors will not pick up and alert for narrow vertical obstructions like sign posts, particularly in the middle of the truck grill.
We just bought a 2020 CRV Touring. I like the improved safety features, but the CRV is one of the vehicles Honda makes which doesn't come equipped with parking sensors. They cost an extra $2000 to install and I'm just not sure enough at that price it is worth it. If they were more reliable on my Ridgeline, perhaps I would have had them added. Though, I do like the concept of knowing about how far I am way from obstructions, so I continue to use that feature on my truck, but don't expect 100% accuracy.. I guess what it boils down to is "driver beware."

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow if there was only a way to see stuff in front of the truck when you're driving forward. What were they thinking?

PS.Tthe front sensors are active in reverse because of "Front End Swing".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow if there was only a way to see stuff in front of the truck when you're driving forward. What were they thinking?

PS.Tthe front sensors are active in reverse because of "Front End Swing".
Obviously, I hadn't thought of that. If that is the case, they are very effective! Admittedly, they seem to be most effective when I have to "fit into" a narrow parking space between something like a concrete wall and another vehicle (rock and a hard place).

BTW, I have tested the warning beeps that sound when I am too close to an object on the side. The long beep which comes first seems to come when the obstruction is at about 18-24 inches. The short beep comes at about 12-18 inches and the solid beep is when I am less than 12 inches away from said object. Also, the density of the object seems to affect the distance at which the beep sounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts