Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many 2018 Ridgeline transmission fail at 74,000 miles? $7000. It is only two years old.

My 2006 Ridgeline has 225,000 miles on it, no problems.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
How many 2018 Ridgeline transmission fail at 74,000 miles? $7000. It is only two years old.
"Some", but not "many". My 2019's transmission is being replaced under warranty as we speak at 14K miles. There have been a "few" transmission replacements under warranty, but not an "alarming" number and, so far, they've all failed during the factory warranty period. As far as I know, you're the first person on this forum to report a transmission failure out of warranty on a second-generation Ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

My 2006 Ridgeline has 225,000 miles on it, no problems.
We had a transmission fail on a 2000 Odyssey (the first year of the "new" Odyssey) at 2 years old and maybe 50k miles (a long time ago; can't remember), and I was not happy at all, especially since we'd also just taken delivery of a new '02 CRV. We wound up paying for labor and they supplied the unit, but later on when there were more and more vehicles with the issue Honda ended up refunding our cost, but, again, in that case there were numbers of cases motivating Honda to step up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Some", but not "many". My 2019's transmission is being replaced under warranty as we speak at 14K miles. There have been a "few" transmission replacements under warranty, but not an "alarming" number and, so far, they've all failed during the factory warranty period. As far as I know, you're the first person on this forum to report a transmission failure out of warranty on a second-generation Ridgeline.
At 14000miles out of warranty and a number failing in warranty, Honda needs to step up and take care of their customers.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
At 14000miles out of warranty and a number failing in warranty, Honda needs to step up and take care of their customers.
They are. It's not costing me a dime! The transmission is warranted for 5 years or 60,000 miles (or 7/100 if it's Honda Certified Pre-Owned). If that's not enough, you can purchase up to 8 years or 120,000 miles of coverage before the 3/36 warranty is up.

I understand your frustration - I'd be frustrated, too. But, transmission failures on second generation Ridgelines are by no means common. I grew up when transmission overhauls were almost guaranteed by 100K miles. Now, most of them last 200-300K or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are. It's not costing me a dime! The transmission is warranted for 5 years or 60,000 miles (or 7/100 if it's Honda Certified Pre-Owned). If that's not enough, you can purchase up to 8 years or 120,000 miles of coverage before the 3/36 warranty is up.

I understand your frustration - I'd be frustrated, too. But, transmission failures on second generation Ridgelines are by no means common. I grew up when transmission overhauls were almost guaranteed by 100K miles. Now, most of them last 200-300K or more.
I have a 2006 Ridgeline with 224,000, my sister had a Accord with over 280,000, my daughter ran a CRV to 300,000. That is why I bought the 2018.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
I have a 2006 Ridgeline with 224,000, my sister had a Accord with over 280,000, my daughter ran a CRV to 300,000. That is why I bought the 2018.
I understand. But, not every Ridgeline, Accord, and CR-V will make it to those distances. Some will inevitably fail before then. Unfortunately, your 2018 Ridgeline was one of those statistics. NO manufacture has ANY model of transmission with a 0% failure rate.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Howdy,
My 2018 RTL-E failed at tad over 63000 miles. Just a bit over the warranty period. Honda said too bad.

The issues:
'Transmission System Problem' and 'Blind Spot Info System Problem' displayed on the Instrument Panel.
No performance change that I could feel.

The issues occur when the Auto Cruise is enabled and going over 60 MPH.
Shutting off engine clears the messages.

Honda determined the Transmission to be the root cause.
They replaced the transmission and the problem solved.

An interesting observation:
Prior to the transmission replacement, the displayed average MPG was between 17 and 18 MPG in town.
After the transmission replacement, the displayed average is between 19 ans 21 MPG in town.

This was an expensive repair.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
It was around $6500 for a re manufactured one. But, the dealer gave $1000 discount.
Fudge...6k repair for a vehicle only at 63k miles. I’m disappointed in Honda. Honestly at this point I can’t recommend them over a Chevy or Dodge. I get that all manufactureEd will have some issues but does anyone stand above the fray anymore?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
That's really expensive never knew how much a transmission cost. The last time I needed a transmission replaced was on my 77 Nova Concours in 1983. The worst part is that you have to get it fixed if you want to get rid of the car. I always remember when buying electronics and they ask me about a protection plan and I reply back "why would I buy this if I thought it was going to fail?" Honda has entered that realm now. Warranty protection is very important consideration when purchasing vehicles these days. Manufacturers are building cars like I phones and washing machines and we are foolish to think that this new stuff is going to last like our Hondas of 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
At least the replacement remanufactured transmission comes with a 3/36 warranty.
Yes it does, but it better not fail again ........ I wonder what % of Ridgelines have transmission failures and how it compares with competition.....

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Yes it does, but it better not fail again ........ I wonder what % of Ridgelines have transmission failures and how it compares with competition.....
I know of four transmission failures that have been reported here - yours, mine, @mumbles, and @JJkroch.

I have seen another dozen or so transmission problems reported - mostly pressure switches that are replaceable externally without having to replace the transmission.

There are thousands of 2017-current Ridgeline owners on this forum, so the failure rate seems pretty low to me.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The extra gears make the failure rate higher. I think the difference form 5 gear to 6 gear or 8 gear was not enough MPG boost to justify the cost or reliability.
Also many owners are not doing the transmission fluid replacement.
I do mine every 25,000 miles - it is cheap insurance for the transmission.
The requirements for higher MPG are making cars less reliable. As are the computer nanny devices.
Wait until the computer fails in your vehicle and Honda (or your make) states that it is over 7 years old and they cannot get the chips to make that model any more. - Yes, your cars/truck is now a disposable computer with an engine and transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So my 2017 black edition, 83k miles, just started the same warning messages at highway speeds. "transmission system problem" and "blind spot info system problem." only happens when driving at a consistent highway speed for a few minutes. Goes away after turning off engine but always comes back on at >65 mph or so. No noticeable changes in performance though. Think it could be a sensor? Hoping its not the transmission...

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
So my 2017 black edition, 83k miles, just started the same warning messages at highway speeds. "transmission system problem" and "blind spot info system problem." only happens when driving at a consistent highway speed for a few minutes. Goes away after turning off engine but always comes back on at >65 mph or so. No noticeable changes in performance though. Think it could be a sensor? Hoping its not the transmission...
There's no way to know without reading the codes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
2017, 110k km, and now I need new transmission as well. $6000.00 cad. for the Install. Took it in when it first had a hard up shift from first to second, they looked at it couldn't find anything wrong, but flushed the transmission fluid and did a reprogramming of the system. Two weeks later, a repeat of the issue, now metal shavings in the transmission fluid and it needs to be replaced. I'm not so much disappointed that the transmission failed, more that when I took it in when the problem first happened there was no major issue, and two weeks later I'm now out 6 grand. I don't know what else I could have done to take better care.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts