Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
13,698 Posts
Some official data. IMO, RL statistically irrelevant. This compounded by the weak but price increasing MMR to me translates to chopping block for a next gen.

Interesting numbers.

50,674 Passports? They've sold 32,408 in the US as of a few weeks ago. Where are the other 18,000 (5+ months' supply)? No wonder they've been discounting them.

29,577 Ridgelines were sold in the US from January to November. Add in Canadian and Caribbean / Latin America models and they should have about 35,000 sold with another month to go, so probably about 38,500 sold in 2019, but only 29,185 produced. Inventory is at about 2 months' supply right now - fairly low.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The recent price discounts paint a better picture of the profit margins on Ridgeline and its brethren. Produced using common components, Honda has definitely made money building RL. It gets good automotive press reviews and numbers above calculate to average 88 people each day drive away from a Honda dealership with a new RL. I think RL is doing exactly what Honda wants it to do in a market currently leaning away from sedans. Unless car culture changes dramatically before the Gen 3, they have to keep a truck-variety presence.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very interesting data! 60 days of inventory is very good in the industry. They have a good handle on the demand and it is steady enough to keep it in the line-up. Good stuff.

·
Administrator
13,698 Posts
The recent price discounts paint a better picture of the profit margins on Ridgeline and its brethren. Produced using common components, Honda has definitely made money building RL. It gets good automotive press reviews and numbers above calculate to average 88 people each day drive away from a Honda dealership with a new RL. I think RL is doing exactly what Honda wants it to do in a market currently leaning away from sedans. Unless car culture changes dramatically before the Gen 3, they have to keep a truck-variety presence.
If Mazda can make money on a one-off roadster with a unique platform and drivetrain that isn't shared with any other model, I'm sure Honda makes money on the Ridgeline. :) Mazda sells about the same number of Miatas worldwide as Honda sells Ridgelines. The Miata has been in continuous production for 30 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts