Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice crash, yeah, i will retract my opinion of "Not a bad deal, lol.
I was not aware of Bidfax, it looks like a good buying tool.
Thanks to confirm the "whole" story of the vehicle and the existence of "BidFax" at least for me.
Somebody did a good job on bringing it back.

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
Here's a related thread about a similar situation:

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
481 Posts
Auto Source is a nationwide dealership that specializes in rebranded titles. I bought my 2019 RTL-T from them. ($30k out the door with 8500 miles on it.)

Even though I saved money, I'm not sure I would recommend going that route. The car comes with no warranty. They try to sell you a warranty for about 3k, but after adding that cost it doesn't look like such a bargain any more.
Within a day of driving off the lot, I realized my driver door alignment was off. I had a fit with Auto Source and they only agreed to pay half the repair cost. When I took it to a body shop, they noticed a few additional problems with the trim and molding that I had fixed at the same time. I also had to replace window tint that was bubbling on one side and not present on the other (another thing I didn't notice before I bought).
Fortunately there has not been a major problem yet, but with this kind of deal you are risking that something major happens and you are left with a major financial loss.
Its my second salvage vehicle I have purchased. First was a Lexus I had absolutely no problem with. That gave me confidence when I went in to this purchase, but I was too confident and trusting. But so far I love my RL and have put about 5k miles on it. Hopefully there are no hidden issues that pop up later.

If I had to do it again, I would negotiate some buyers remorse option. I mistakenly believed that the law has a 3 day buyers remorse return option, but that is simply not true. If the transmission falls out after you sign the papers and you are still driving off the lot, the dealer owes you nothing.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Auto Source is a nationwide dealership that specializes in rebranded titles. I bought my 2019 RTL-T from them. ($30k out the door with 8500 miles on it.)

Even though I saved money, I'm not sure I would recommend going that route. The car comes with no warranty. They try to sell you a warranty for about 3k, but after adding that cost it doesn't look like such a bargain any more.
Within a day of driving off the lot, I realized my driver door alignment was off. I had a fit with Auto Source and they only agreed to pay half the repair cost. When I took it to a body shop, they noticed a few additional problems with the trim and molding that I had fixed at the same time. I also had to replace window tint that was bubbling on one side and not present on the other (another thing I didn't notice before I bought).
Fortunately there has not been a major problem yet, but with this kind of deal you are risking that something major happens and you are left with a major financial loss.
Its my second salvage vehicle I have purchased. First was a Lexus I had absolutely no problem with. That gave me confidence when I went in to this purchase, but I was too confident and trusting. But so far I love my RL and have put about 5k miles on it. Hopefully there are no hidden issues that pop up later.

If I had to do it again, I would negotiate some buyers remorse option. I mistakenly believed that the law has a 3 day buyers remorse return option, but that is simply not true. If the transmission falls out after you sign the papers and you are still driving off the lot, the dealer owes you nothing.
Another issue to consider when buying a branded title is because insurance already paid out a claim for a salvage, if you get in a wreck, you are out of luck when filing another claim, no matter who is at fault.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scotty Kilmer makes good arguments against buying crash vehicles. Everything is electronic and those gremlins can creep up relentlessly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Another issue to consider when buying a branded title is because insurance already paid out a claim for a salvage, if you get in a wreck, you are out of luck when filing another claim, no matter who is at fault.
I did not know about this, but I should check with my agent. It seems my insurance should be much cheaper if they are under no obligation to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I did not know about this, but I should check with my agent. It seems my insurance should be much cheaper if they are under no obligation to fix it?
That's pretty much the only thing that has kept me from purchasing one of those "branded" vehicles. They had a real nice Scarlet Pearl RTL-E that tempted me.

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts

Scotty Kilmer makes good arguments against buying crash vehicles.
And, I have good arguments against Scotty Kilmer. However, it looks like we agree on at least one thing. ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts

And, I have good arguments against Scotty Kilmer. However, it looks like we agree on at least one thing. ;)
Good article, thanks. Since my car title says "Rebuilt from Salvage", it sounds like insurance is possible, but collision and comp are not always easy to get and can cost a lot more. It is funny because when I bought the car, I gave my VIN # to my agent, and he sent me my insurance card. We never even talked about it being rebuilt, so I wonder if he even checked? I assumed I got the same insurance that my other vehicles have, but we all know about assuming.
I may have opened a can of worms by even asking my agent about my title, but I already emailed him, and I will let you guys know what he says about it.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Scotty talks a lot. He has a only single wide driveway and no lift for his repair business but purports to have experience with nearly any make and model you can think of. Yes he has years of experience but at times I think he is overstating experience to back up his opinionated presentations.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My insurance agent response was "I'm looking into it for you". He probably didn't realize it was a branded title.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here's my insurance guys response:
I did check with my claims department and they stated we would pay out a claim on a salvage title as long as the vehicle has been repaired. They did state that if the vehicle is a total loss the actual cash value of the vehicle would be lower due to the salvage title. If you could please send me four pictures of the vehicle from each corner so that I have it for the file it would be appreciated. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts