Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving a Toyota Tacoma for years as a daily driver / work truck I decided it was time to get an upgrade. My wife has a 2020 Ridgeline Sport and I enjoy the ride, so I researched the different models and finally decided on the BE. I travel out of state for work constantly and with all of the features the BE had I felt that it was exactly what I wanted. My only issue was with all of the push button shifters the newer models had and I finally settled on getting a 2019 with 15k miles. After getting my new truck I quickly went through my Tacoma and started transferring tools and materials and found myself with excess amounts of room in the new BE. I carry a 6' and a 28' Extension ladder for work and was in need of a ladder rack. My Tacoma had camper shell with a roof rack, and I figured I'd do the same sort of set up on the new truck. So, after hunting around and price shopping Lear and ARI, I was content on doing the ARI color matched camper shell. My wife on the other hand was not. I showed her what I was looking at getting and she immediately shot it down, stating and I quote "You're not an old man yet why you get a truck and not a suburban if you want a camper shell." Now granted the logic came off as weird but part of what she said rang true. I do like the convivence of having a camper shell but realistically I could have got a pilot if that was the case and saved my self some headache, right? We'll I did a dive into google and I kept coming across different racks that said they fit for the Ridgeline but after testing two different products purchased through amazon, I decided I'd go with the more expensive and less known roof and bed rack combo. I speak of the Plateau and Mesa racks from Jsport. The reason I say less known is because if you actually look for information regarding them there's only a few posts here and there and most of them don't have both racks. A couple videos that explain how to set them up and showcase them. But what I needed overall was some answers to some questions and i realized the only way I'd get them is buying the racks.

The racks both came extremely well packaged and were easy to assemble. I will not be showcasing assembly as there are videos that already do this, what I will do is point out that the racks I received have upgraded hardware. After viewing a couple of videos regarding the Mesa rack I believe that a few pieces have changed for the support brackets.

The racks themselves are solid construction and have a weight limit of 600lbs. After assembly the racks line up fairly evenly although the front rack has to be pushed down before tightening so there's no gap otherwise it sits higher than the back rack. Both of my ladders fit across with no issue and I've even added in square rack guards from Dorsal to help alleviate the rattle and metal on metal sound.

Alot of comments about the racks said that you had to stop and constantly retighten everything down. I can attest that after traveling over 8k miles with the racks loaded up and flying on the freeways between states I've had no need to tighten any of the hardware, although I constantly check if its needed. The racks are powder coated very well and have held up to the abuse of Daily work. They make the truck look beasty from the side and weird as F*** looking at it head-on. It needs some sort of light bar or running lights to even that huge black chunk of metal out. And that's exactly what it is, a huge chunk of metal. The dam thing is thick and awkward but I'm planning on taking a saw to it and mounting a lightbar inside, or potentially installing a curved bar that fits up snug to it.

All in all, it's a great rack for a great truck. I think the hardest part about it is the price tag. Its steep, but still less than a camper shell and it's no drill for the Mesa rack. (You will have to drill holes for the Plateau rack, Into the rubber or plastic running down the top. I recommend adding in a sealer or silicone to prevent moisture build up. I went as far as adding in rubber grommets over the bolts to help keep them nice and dry.) The rack is easy to remove and store if you need bed space, but I just remove my ladders every friday evening and place them in storage, giving me the freedom to add in the Tent attachment from Jsport and being able to travel in off time. I'll be doing more work to the Truck and posting it here just to showcase my Daily Driver. My next upgrade is the Jsport 1.5'' Lift kit and overland bar.

(My included pictures are of the vehicle while working, I'll add photos of the racks without ladders in the future, along with a nice carwash.)

If you have any questions about the Jsport racks before buying them, feel free to shoot me a message or ask here on this post.
They are completely worth it and if you're looking to turn your truck into a nice Tradesman vehicle this is the rack to do it.

Automotive carrying rack Wheel Plant Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Cloud Wheel Sky Car Tire
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yours is among the coolest RL's I've seen. It does look like a beast, but a completely pragmatic one. It's funny that your wife nixed the cap deal due to the perceived demographic of those users versus the actual demographic of RL drivers you see out and about.
Hey thanks Dougkap! I agree with you, although after she said that I did start to notice an increase in owners of Hardshell toppers falling under that demographic, if you don't include obvious work vehicles etc. Albeit RL's do also seem to fall there as well. It's one of those weird things where you don't really notice it until you notice it lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts