Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After parkingb I noticed a wisp of smoke coming from the trailing edge of the hood and the cowl. When I opened the hood flames were coming from the area between the engine and firewall. Fire Department came in about 7 minutes but by then the front clip was engulfed in flames and I have a total loss on my hands. I had 17K or 18K on the truck and didn't notice anything unusual while driving, as a matter of fact I commented to myself on how well it was running just before the fire. I just had the recall for the fuel pump done in April, since thats in the back I'm not sure if that's related. The insurance company will be contacting Honda since the vehicle is still under warranty. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them? I believe there was a slight smell of coolant right before the incident but can't say for sure. I just hope Honda is acting responsible with the matter. Enjoy the pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
After parkingb I noticed a wisp of smoke coming from the trailing edge of the hood and the cowl. When I opened the hood flames were coming from the area between the engine and firewall. Fire Department came in about 7 minutes but by then the front clip was engulfed in flames and I have a total loss on my hands. I had 17K or 18K on the truck and didn't notice anything unusual while driving, as a matter of fact I commented to myself on how well it was running just before the fire. I just had the recall for the fuel pump done in April, since thats in the back I'm not sure if that's related. The insurance company will be contacting Honda since the vehicle is still under warranty. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them? I believe there was a slight smell of coolant right before the incident but can't say for sure. I just hope Honda is acting responsible with the matter. Enjoy the pictures! View attachment 415164 View attachment 415165 View attachment 415166
So sorry

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yikes, glad you had parked it and got away from it and that it wasn't near anything else that would burn! Will be very interested in hearing if they determine what caused this.

·
Registered
21 Platinum White Sport
264 Posts
That’s crazy! Glad your ok, what a shame about the truck. On the positive side all those swirl marks, scratches and door dings won’t bother you anymore. I’m sure all that damage will buff right out.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
605 Posts
Fortunately no injuries or other property damaged. I don’t think I’ve seen any reported engine fires on the forum. Do you know if a someone is going to investigate to determine what happened? You should report this incident on the NHTSA web site.

·
Registered
Honda Ridgeline 2021 black edition
18 Posts
After parkingb I noticed a wisp of smoke coming from the trailing edge of the hood and the cowl. When I opened the hood flames were coming from the area between the engine and firewall. Fire Department came in about 7 minutes but by then the front clip was engulfed in flames and I have a total loss on my hands. I had 17K or 18K on the truck and didn't notice anything unusual while driving, as a matter of fact I commented to myself on how well it was running just before the fire. I just had the recall for the fuel pump done in April, since thats in the back I'm not sure if that's related. The insurance company will be contacting Honda since the vehicle is still under warranty. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them? I believe there was a slight smell of coolant right before the incident but can't say for sure. I just hope Honda is acting responsible with the matter. Enjoy the pictures! View attachment 415164 View attachment 415165 View attachment 415166
Ouch. glad you are ok. We can replace the vehicle but not you. And looks like no damage elsewhere. One love mon!

·
Administrator
20,707 Posts
The insurance company will be contacting Honda since the vehicle is still under warranty.
Honda will tell them to go pound sand. :) How this works is: Your insurance pays market value for the vehicle. The insurance company may try to determine the cause of the fire. If they determine the cause of the fire is a manufacturing defect, they may sue Honda who will perform their own investigation. If it is determined that the dealer who performed the recall is negligent, the dealer and the technician may be sued. Many people can be named in suits. Something like this almost certainly will never go to trial and multiple parties may agree to pay a portion of the claim or they may not. These things can drag on for years and you may never hear another word about it. Vehicle warranties don't cover totaled vehicles.

Will insurance pay out for something like this?
The comprehensive portion of auto insurance does.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,592 Posts
Wow! Glad you got out OK and that the vehicle was nowhere near anything combustible, like your house. Hopefully one good thing may come out of this and that's an increased payout for your total loss, commensurate with todays' inflated used vehicle values.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,580 Posts
Glad you are ok. Sad to see that happen to the truck.

The big trick now will be getting a suitable replacement vehicle at a suitable price. You might get market value, which could be about what you paid for the truck new, but I don't think insurance covers market stress...

·
Registered
72 Posts
W......T......F.......

·
Registered
'17 RTL-E Rear-door mod, LED fogs, stock bed cover, LED back up lights.
156 Posts
ZRoger is right. The insurance company will be on the hook for this, and settle up with you on it. Pretty quick in most cases... Honda will be out of the picture.

Reactions: notme2020

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fortunately no injuries or other property damaged. I don’t think I’ve seen any reported engine fires on the forum. Do you know if a someone is going to investigate to determine what happened? You should report this incident on the NHTSA web site.
Yep, fire adjuster will be doing that and I will be reporting it to the NHTSA. Thanks!

Honda will tell them to go pound sand. :) How this works is: Your insurance pays market value for the vehicle. The insurance company will try to determine the cause of the fire. If they determine the cause of the fire is a manufacturing defect, they will sue Honda who will perform their own investigation. If it is determined that the dealer who performed the recall is negligent, the dealer and the technician will be sued. Many people can be named in suits. Something like this almost certainly will never go to trial and multiple parties may agree to pay a portion of the claim or they may not. These things can drag on for years and you may never hear another word about it. Vehicle warranties don't cover totaled vehicles.

The comprehensive portion of auto insurance does.
That's what I understand, I just hope I don't end up too far in the negative! Once I get more info I will let everyone know the results of the Hot Honda saga!

Glad you are ok. Sad to see that happen tonthe truck.

The big trick now will be getting a suitable replacement vehicle at a suitable price. You might get market value, which could be about what you paid for the truck new, but I don't think insurance covers market stress...
I know, none on the dealer lot!

Wow! Glad you got out OK and that the vehicle was nowhere near anything combustible, like your house. Hopefully one good thing may come out of this and that's an increased payout for your total loss, commensurate with todays' inflated used vehicle values.
I spoke to dealer and thats what he said due to the tight market.
I'm hoping that will be the outcome, thanks!

So sad to see - must have been scary to witness. Happy to hear that you're OK and as others have said, be happy that it wasn't parked in your garage. Please update us if you learn of a cause. Peace.
Thanks much, I will definitely keep the forum posted. ✌

Bummer, "that'll buff right out" is the comment of the day !

As for the claim on it. You would want to go with your insurance company on this one and let them subrogate it to Honda if it's a manufacturing fault.
It looks like they will be doing that, we shall see, thanks!

Will insurance pay out for something like this? I m just glad you made it out safe.
They will but how much is the question!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts